RB1 Nav unit - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > RB1 Nav unit

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #46
N_P

It's not really a problem. I don't recall the last time I have had a CD in any of my vehicles. (Radio works just fine)

Loading a map into memory just seems to make the unit a bit more user friendly.

My previous toy. 1976 416 UNIMOG
N_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #47
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used to be a CD listener... Now I do not even know where my CD's are!!!! I purchased a cheap iPod here on JF, loaded my CD's on it, and use it in conjunction with the adapter.

For those with the RB1... do you store the nav disk in the head unit or in the CD case elsewhere? I have been keeping it in a CD case as I nonly use the navigation option for trips.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #48
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just keep the disc in the unit so it's ready to go if I want to use it on a whim. N_P, I promise you it's not that much of an inconvenience for the load times, sometimes it takes road names a minute to appear in the list after you start inputting an address (you'd have to see what I'm talking about to really understand it), and it takes 30 secs or so to load the software when you crank it up, but that's about it. Recalculations take 5-10 seconds, not too bad. For the factory look and (hopefully) lack of appeal for thieves, I gladly put up with the quirks

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #49
ziaholic
180 lb Gorilla

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice resurrection of this thread ... gives me a chance to showoff after the install last weekend ...

... I'm still playin' with the NAV, and I'm p-o'd that the eBay advertiser said AE disc, but I ended up with the AC version instead ... (I wouldn't have bid so hi on this one, had I known that AE was a lie)

... my local neighborhood is one of the updates in the later rev discs, so sometimes it looks like I'm driving in the middle of a cow pasture or corn field ...

... another p-o'd subject is the RB1's crappy placement of the antenna input and the theft-deterrent holes ... 'cause the stock TJ/LJ tamper bracket for the RBK is waaaaay in the way. I've temporarily just pushed it back out of the way ... but I need a better and more permanent solution.

Video: Moab '05 GoldenCrack MyStockRubi
Video: Moab '07 GoldenCrack MyLiftedRubi
ziaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #50
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you not buy the Wrangler-specific install kit? Comes with a new anti-theft bracket, it's a bit annoying to install but it's made for the RB1...

Unread 07-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #51
ziaholic
180 lb Gorilla

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nope ... I read about it ... but bought the unit off of eBay and thought I'd take a chance without ordering that new bracket.

Guess I learned my lesson and will now shop around for that bracket

Video: Moab '05 GoldenCrack MyStockRubi
Video: Moab '07 GoldenCrack MyLiftedRubi
ziaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #52
davecramp

2004 Grand Cherokee

A Satnav unit was already installed when I purchased my 2004 Grand Cherokee, but with no discs. I live in the UK si really only want UK coverage. Looked on ebay but have found nothing. Any ideas please??
davecramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #53
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

New to site RB1 Sirius/ Artist/SongInfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last LJ
Gussdog,

Congrats - you are the third person that I know of in the country with that setup.

Yes, the iPod kit will work just fine with Sirius and the RB1 with all the cables you already have. You will have two issues, though...

When the RB1 is playing the iPod, it will display all song title, artist and album information wonderfully. When you switch to Sirius mode, you won't get any of that information. The current theory is that an additional cable is required, but nobody seems to know for sure because nobody's actually tried it. I have one on order and I'll know by next week when it arrives.

The second issue is that if you are listening to Sirius and you turn the power off, when you power it back on it will be in iPod mode. If power is on, and you want to switch between iPod and Sirius, you need to cycle into the AM/FM section and then back to Aux mode. Again, I have a crackpot theory that explains this - the RB1 lacks a mode button that handles switching. I *think* the multiplexer will solve this, but several dealers have told me that the iPod unit serves as the mux. I'll know next week as I ordered one of those also.

Please fill us in if you know anything more than I do!

Joe
Hey everyone...new to this site...
Been tryin to research this myself.

I just put in a RB1 in my 06 Rubi LJ, great radio, but my problem is...
It still doesn't display song title info for Sirius radio. No where does anything mention that a different plug or adapter is needed....nothing. The Mopar website says it plugs right in and works with Sirius.

The Sirius I have came with the Jeep, from factory with the RBQ radio, which also does not display anything. Except for the word "wait" when you eject a CD.

I have called Sirius, the Chrysler, gone to the dealer (that was the worst result) They wanted to charge me 95 + bucks to connect the Jeep to the 'network' and let it 'talk' to chrysler, then it's supposed to d/l new software, and tell the Jeep it has a 'different' radio in it, and to start telling me the names of the songs....
This was after me dealing with the service writer at first, and finally being able to talk to a tech...he comes over telling me that these have 'front side computers that talk to the instrument cluster, and goes through there to the radio, and to the computer....'

I almost started to believe him until he says something really stupid. I thought at the start of our conversation, he knew that it was a nav radio, you know, he was looking right at it...and being a 'tech' and telling me stuff he 'knows for sure'. I even stated, this is an RB1, offered by Mopar, your parts counter right over there sells it saying it will fit right in.....
He then proceeds to say, "...yeah, if you try to put one of those nav units in there, you definitely have to update the software in the Jeep or else the navigation will not work...."

That's when I knew he was full shdfsdhf.....I looked straight at him and said..."..really, I just used it from Sun Valley to your dealership. I looked it up from there, and put it in, and it took me right here..."
I tried to get the dealer to look at the factory sirius tuner to see why it's not working like it's supposed to.

Oh, I also have the pod int. kit on the way too.
The only thing I have tried is , I got a sirius tuner from the salvage yard that I got the radio from, it's the newer kind, with two wires from the antenna. I think it's the HD version. He says it's out of a Cherokee. The pin amount is the same, however, colors are different, and one of the wire positions are different, and therefore did not work. The tuner did, however, fit right on the stock bracket that the smaller tuner was on. Oh well, would have perfect to solve it that way. But no luck.

Please, somebody out here, give me the answers, or at least steer me in the right direction.
Thanks...
David
Mr.Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #54
sadlerb_98
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you might need the artist cable

For my 05 Rubi I had to intall the optional artist cable (p/n 5066203AA) to get the additional info. Works great now. I have the RB1 with Sirius & iPod both showing full artist/title info.

Good luck,
Bob
sadlerb_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #55
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlerb_98
For my 05 Rubi I had to intall the optional artist cable (p/n 5066203AA) to get the additional info. Works great now. I have the RB1 with Sirius & iPod both showing full artist/title info.

Good luck,
Bob
Now, did you have Sirius in the Jeep pre-RB1? What I really mean to ask, is if it came factory...little black box under steering column.... And did you have an RBQ at first.

If all I really need is this cable, how come no dealer or website will even mention it. I think they say it's required for the RB4, but I did not find where it the RB1 needs it.

All you got was a new cable? Or did you have to get the multiplexer as well? And, did you try it with out the iPod adapter? Meaning just the Sirius and the RB1?
Unread 11-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #56
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have the RB1, Sirius, the optional artist cable, and the multiplexer. I believe you must have this multiplexer to use the artist cable because the plug on the end of it does not match up to the RB1 or the Ipod kit. There is supposedly another cable that works directly from the Sirius tuner to the RB1 that provides this info but I don't recall the model number, I believe it is part of the Sirius Installation Kit without CD Changer for WJs. I just went with the multiplexer so that I can easily add a CD changer later if I want to since you can't play CDs and use nav at the same time. Stock I had the RBQ and Sirius.

On another note... don't ever go back to that dealer. They were either complete idiots or trying to rob you, plain and simple.

Unread 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #57
sadlerb_98
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange
Now, did you have Sirius in the Jeep pre-RB1? What I really mean to ask, is if it came factory...little black box under steering column.... And did you have an RBQ at first.

If all I really need is this cable, how come no dealer or website will even mention it. I think they say it's required for the RB4, but I did not find where it the RB1 needs it.

All you got was a new cable? Or did you have to get the multiplexer as well? And, did you try it with out the iPod adapter? Meaning just the Sirius and the RB1?
I had the basic RBQ first, then added the RB1 and iPod integration kit. I then later added the Sirius and artist cable. My understanding is that the multiplexer or the iPod integration kit has the ability to transfer the data to a digital format. The artist cable, if I remember correctly, has an additional pin populated to allow the artist info to transfer to the radio. You would have to do a search for my posts and see the history of this. It is just another way for them to make some money.

Good luck.
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #58
Mr.Orange
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlerb_98

Good luck,
Bob
OK...Where did everybody get this cable from and how much was it.....The stealership by my house wants $85 for it!!

I think he's got the wrong line item or something...maybe I'm wrong.

How much did you all pay for this 5066203AA.
When I looked at my cable I can swear that's the same #....
And what is different about this cable vs. the one that is already connecting the Sirius to the RB1, besides being longer?

Oh. Most important, which side is 'pin 8' not there? I have it on the 12pin (Sirius) side. But that wire goes to a different pin on the 10 side. So if it is missing on the radio side, where does it end up on the Sirius tuner?
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #59
sadlerb_98
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I use the following website: chryslerpartsdirect.com They sell that cable for $64.80 plus shipping.

I can't answer the rest of the questions. All I know is that it works.

Bob
Unread 11-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #60
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange
OK...Where did everybody get this cable from and how much was it.....The stealership by my house wants $85 for it!!

I think he's got the wrong line item or something...maybe I'm wrong.

How much did you all pay for this 5066203AA.
When I looked at my cable I can swear that's the same #....
And what is different about this cable vs. the one that is already connecting the Sirius to the RB1, besides being longer?

Oh. Most important, which side is 'pin 8' not there? I have it on the 12pin (Sirius) side. But that wire goes to a different pin on the 10 side. So if it is missing on the radio side, where does it end up on the Sirius tuner?
List price for that part number is $80... so unless you know someone or have a good relationship with your dealer, you're not likely to find it cheaper than that without going to a discount reseller or online.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.