RB1 Nav unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > RB1 Nav unit

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Slippy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

RB1 Nav unit

Does anyone have one of these in their TJ?
Is it worth the money? You can pick one up on ebay for around $800...I know that is a lot but it fits perfectly in the dash. Thoughts on these? Since these are made by Alpine, would the audio aspect sound better than the normal OEM cd players?
http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm

Last edited by Slippy; 01-15-2006 at 11:59 AM..
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
kaketj
beef jerky and grease....

hey, I just put one in after doing alot of searching for the best options,I also liked the "factory look" and decided on it over the RB4(the other factory option gps) it's amazing and very simple w/lots of options! sound is at the most crisper,but with the same speakers(7 speaker factory option) I really haven't heard leaps and bounds of improvement? I'm in the process of upgrading those too! I got mine from "mr.cd1" on ebay he's a good seller! I paid 899.00 w/everything included and free shipping ,dealership wanted $1600.00+ tax for the same thing!
New toy. ZO6
kaketj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
kaketj

okay guys I know not everybody needs one,but wow, the RB1 from mopar/alpine is amazing, i got my wife to go on a road trip to Oregon and wanted to try to get to places I had never been,using the RB1,so I just typed in the adress and went, amazing,the dam thing just took me there! it even knew about a new merge lane that was a year old and in the middle of nowhere! very cool,anyway if you want a hassle free install w/features galore get this badboy

*ebay find them half price!!!
New toy. ZO6
Unread 03-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Killedbybob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i also have it... and i purchased it from mr.cd1 on ebay... i go to chicago alot of the times and even with all the tall buildings it still knows where i am. Seriously the best 800 dollars i ever spent. it was also a really easy install... just plug and go!
Black 2005 TJ 4.0L Automatic l Dana 44 Rear l Viper 791XV l RB1 Nav System l Top Five Rack and Safari Basket l Cobra 75wx st l RE 3.5 Super Flex l 305x70xr16 Nitto Mud Grapplers l Sniper Fab Front Bumper l Sniper Fab Tube Fenders l Rockhard 4x4 Rear Swingaway Bumper l Shrockworks rocker guards l TW front and rear driveshafts l
Killedbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
fares

so its a direct replacement? no harnesses or adaptors needed?
fares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
kaketj

yep,just pop the vent cover off(by windsheild) it's the long peice, then unscrew two screws,then pull bezel off,be careful of the clips,then four screws on factory radio and unplug antenna(thru glove box)

*** also remember that factory cd players have a ridig support that bolts/unbolts(nuts face up you can access easily) to the A pillar under the vent cover up front,it's metal color and looks like a v(in the '04),these come off and then you pull the unit out! good luck
New toy. ZO6
Unread 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
ITS K FOX
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know this is old but I love my Rb1
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
K1dS3ns4t10n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just got an RB1 for my TJ and I love it.. Its my first ever GPS unit. Its never led me astray. Its amazing how accurate it is. So far the only problem is that its hard to hear the voice prompts on the highway with the soft top (up or down). I have the navivoice volume all the way up. Its not that big of a deal because you can just look at the screen to figure what what she was trying to tell you.

If you want to maintain the factory look, this is the unit for you! I have aftermarket speakers and the sound output is very clean even at max volume.
K1dS3ns4t10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
alecmcmahon

hey guys, im intrested in the rb1 , only question is :

am i going to have to take out the navigational dvd every time i want to insert one of my audio cds? or does it have some sort of " changer " in it, so i can listen to an audio cd AND have have the nav cd working

thanks
Unread 08-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon
hey guys, im intrested in the rb1 , only question is :

am i going to have to take out the navigational dvd every time i want to insert one of my audio cds? or does it have some sort of " changer " in it, so i can listen to an audio cd AND have have the nav cd working

thanks
I believe it can load your desired route from the disc into memory so you can put in a CD to listen to. But this will require you to put the disc in before each trip and/or if you want to change your route mid-trip.

If you get a disc changer you can listen to that and leave the nav disc in the unit and use both at the same time.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
JeepFreak91

what ever they put in the commander for nav it has a seperate tray for the nav disk and a cd changer for audio cds
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
kaketj

the rb1 doesn't allow you to use the nav and play a CD at the same time,although they have an ipod/portable cd/changer kit available that plugs in to the 10 pin slot on the back,it has a ipod connector and a mini jack for other types of devices,apparently that allows you to do both,I haven't installed it yet but ordered,I'll let you kow if they work together(nav/cd)
New toy. ZO6
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
Last LJ

No, you cannot play an audio CD and navigate at the same time. What you can do, if you have an iPod, is get the iPod Integration Kit from Mopar and not only does that just plug right into the RB1 neat as heck, but you also get a very good Album Name, Artist and Title display as well. Not only that, but you can contol the iPod via the buttons on the RB1 head unit. Who needs CD's if you can hook your iPod to it?

You can also hook up an external audio CD changer, that'll work, but where are you going to mount that in a Wrangler?

Joe
Last LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #14
Gussdog

Rb1

I just purchased the RB1 and the ipod integration kit, for my 06 Wrangler it came from the factory with the Sirius radio, will the Sirius unit connect up with the Mopar ipod unit are will I need a different wiring harness,
Gussdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #15
Last LJ

Gussdog,

Congrats - you are the third person that I know of in the country with that setup.

Yes, the iPod kit will work just fine with Sirius and the RB1 with all the cables you already have. You will have two issues, though...

When the RB1 is playing the iPod, it will display all song title, artist and album information wonderfully. When you switch to Sirius mode, you won't get any of that information. The current theory is that an additional cable is required, but nobody seems to know for sure because nobody's actually tried it. I have one on order and I'll know by next week when it arrives.

The second issue is that if you are listening to Sirius and you turn the power off, when you power it back on it will be in iPod mode. If power is on, and you want to switch between iPod and Sirius, you need to cycle into the AM/FM section and then back to Aux mode. Again, I have a crackpot theory that explains this - the RB1 lacks a mode button that handles switching. I *think* the multiplexer will solve this, but several dealers have told me that the iPod unit serves as the mux. I'll know next week as I ordered one of those also.

Please fill us in if you know anything more than I do!

Joe
Last LJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.