Rant: Sick of people confusing Cherokee and Grand Cherokee - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Rant: Sick of people confusing Cherokee and Grand Cherokee

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #76
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
The newer owned lives in north texas and last I heard it was in a million pieces. He might have gave up.

Well, if you ever hear he's tired of the project and wants to sell.....

(Seriously, that vehicle is on a pedestal as my "someday" project)

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #77
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The KL Cherokee, despite looking and selling very differently than the Grand Cherokee has only breathed new life into people's ignorance which hasn't been showing any signs of stopping--Grand Cherokee newbies continue to post about their problems in the XJ forum. Even had one try to argue that they were in the right forum despite having a WJ. Have had some KL guys already posting there despite there being a separate KL forum under the Cherokee heading.

One of my quick stops in time after I get a time machine will be to go back to the 80's and convince AMC/Chrysler to use a different name. Maybe XJ Cherokee and ZJ Wagoneer; what is the XJ Wagoneer now can just be called some fancy trim package of the Cherokee since that's all it is--maybe they can call it a Grand Cherokee!
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #78
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

And this is why I buy parts from dedicated 4x4 shops like broken axle.... Smaller customer base means they can remember you and your rig. Helps when you've dropped a résumé there too lol

"Hey Dave, I need a front hub" "still ifs?" "Yup" "be here in a few days" "awesome"
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #79
jeverett
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just hate the guys at the part store who insist on going through all of that when I walk in with a part number. If I ask you for a part by part number, please just get me that part. Also fun is the parts department of a dealership that tells me that my car doesn't exist. I had a 97 avenger around the time the new ones came out and needed some parts, they flat out told me they never made one and wouldn't even try looking up parts for it because they, "Work at a dealership and know the avenger just came out". After arguing with 2 parts guys and the parts manager for like 10 minutes because I didn't want to drive to the other dealer on the other side of town a tech walked in and one of the guys was all, "Hey Mike, this guy just asked for parts for a 97 avenger" and laughed. Mike looked at him like he grew a third head and was all, "Then get him what he needs" and then all 3 parts guys turn red and were all, "That car doesn't exist" and the tech said the same thing I did, "It does and it is right there" and pointed out the window at my car. I was happy when they went out of business not long after that. The new dodge dealer there has a much nicer parts department that seems to know their products better.
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #80
HubDeepDriver

Okay here's the unamusing side of the problem. let's take a poll of everyone who can't tell the difference between a Grand, and an ordinary Cherokee. Let's ask them who they think they voted for in the last presidential election! Now let's use our omniscient powers to see who they actually voted for!

Now let's be afraid!
HubDeepDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #81
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Wasted three years or so behind the counter at Kragen's - got to deal with that ALL THE DAMNED TIME.

"I need a fan belt for my car."
"OK - what sort of car do you have?"
"Blue."

I'm not exaggerating when i say I had to deal with at least a half-dozen people a day who would have been better of strangled...
Yup, I worked for CSK for a long time. All the dam time, then we have the people that bring in some odd part and say its bad, and don't even know what it is. 4 of 5 times I knew, but once and I while ......... WTF. Then in my earlier days working there 20 years ago, Ford Ranger, I had a lot of locals with the F150 ranger package , then the Bronco, people didn't know if it was a bronco or bronco 2.

Being a gear head had advantage, I was the highest paid part timer in the Vegas Valley. In Cali, we had many more gear heads in the business.
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #82
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
And this is why I buy parts from dedicated 4x4 shops like broken axle.... Smaller customer base means they can remember you and your rig. Helps when you've dropped a résumé there too lol

"Hey Dave, I need a front hub" "still ifs?" "Yup" "be here in a few days" "awesome"
Yeah - like calling my counterman:

"Hey Jim, it's me."
"How you been?"
"Busy. Wife's car needs wheel bearings."
"2005 Suzuki Verona, right?"
"Spot-on."
"Be here in two days."
"Pay for them when I pick them up?"
"Sure - see you Thursday!"
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:33 AM   #83
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Yup, I worked for CSK for a long time. All the dam time, then we have the people that bring in some odd part and say its bad, and don't even know what it is. 4 of 5 times I knew, but once and I while ......... WTF. Then in my earlier days working there 20 years ago, Ford Ranger, I had a lot of locals with the F150 ranger package , then the Bronco, people didn't know if it was a bronco or bronco 2.

Being a gear head had advantage, I was the highest paid part timer in the Vegas Valley. In Cali, we had many more gear heads in the business.
Sure about that last? In the whole of the SF Bay Area, we had THREE people (including me) who could be considered "gearheads."

Don't even get me started on management. The best of the lot managed to make it to "okeh" - most of the rest? I'd have fired them out of hand.

My DM kept wanting me to take over a store, I kept throwing ridiculous salary numbers at him. "That's more than I make!"
"Not my problem. You keep after me to take over, you must think I'm worth something. I'm telling you what I think I'm worth. I've proven it. If I'm going to work 50-70 hours/week, I expect to make more than I am now - both per hour for overtime, and overall. Otherwise, I'm happy being Shop Steward and I'll keep doing my job here."

I never did get promoted past fourth key (fine by me,) except for a brief "light duty" stint when I took over a store as Acting Manager while the assigned manager was off getting his head examined. I turned that store around inside of a month (fired and replaced all but two people, including the second key,) and that was when Randy Brunell started after me to take over a store...
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #84
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

fun parts story

at an autozone in tucson

me: i need to get a cv with half shaft for my jeep
pg: what kind of jeep do you have
me: 1995 jeep grand cherokee
pg: oh well no jeep ever came with cv joints in the front axle only u joints but they have some with cvs in the driveshaft is that what you need?
me: no they made them with cv's i have one outside, with the half shaft in my back seat, want to go look at the other still in the axle?
pg: ok well i can't order them because they dont make them for jeeps, i own a cherokee so i know
me: lets go outside i'll show you
*rolls his eyes and walks outside*
me: look cv joint in the front axle, see
pg: is this a stock axle?
me: yes, i'll order it myself

love it.
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #85
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
fun parts story

at an autozone in tucson

me: i need to get a cv with half shaft for my jeep
pg: what kind of jeep do you have
me: 1995 jeep grand cherokee
pg: oh well no jeep ever came with cv joints in the front axle only u joints but they have some with cvs in the driveshaft is that what you need?
me: no they made them with cv's i have one outside, with the half shaft in my back seat, want to go look at the other still in the axle?
pg: ok well i can't order them because they dont make them for jeeps, i own a cherokee so i know
me: lets go outside i'll show you
*rolls his eyes and walks outside*
me: look cv joint in the front axle, see
pg: is this a stock axle?
me: yes, i'll order it myself

love it.
I know exactly what feeling you had at that time, see my post #17 when i wanted new brakeshoes for my ZJ.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.5TD -94
Chevrolet C20 6.2 -82
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #86
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My First XJ parts Story

Me: I need wheel bearings and the seal for my 94 jeep cherokee 2WD

Him: what year?

Me: 94

Him: Left or Right side

Me: Both

Him: Okay got both of them they are 85.00 each

Me: Huh What, You sure you looked it up right?

Him: Yes, 94 jeep cherokee 4x4

Me: Mine is a 2 wheel Drive

Him: Oh a grand Cherokee, That's the one that comes in 2WD.

Me: NO,..... Cherokee they came in 2wd to.

Him: I'm sorry sir, let me re-enter the info. year make and model plz again.

Me: 94 jeep cherokee 2wd.

( as he is typing i am watching and he passes it again and selects 4x4, so i stop him and point it out and then he selects 2wd )

Him: okay, got it. I have the wheel bearings but i do not have the seal. I can order it for you.

Me: That's okay, I will just get everything from another store.

Him: I'm sorry we could not help you, and thanks for shopping at Autozone.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #87
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
The newer owned lives in north texas and last I heard it was in a million pieces. He might have gave up.
OH F Me!

I presume this is the *exact* Cherokee we are referring to?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4395489408.html

On sale *right* next to me, and we *just* started paying a second mortgage after losing our renter and trying to sell our house in Boston.

SO CLOSE!!!!

EDIT: actually, I'm noticing a lot of subtle differences between the two. Dayriesw, is it the same one? Originally from El Paso, apparently.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #88
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
What does it matter? They're both soccer mom driving one step above a mini van grocery getters.
I like to keep the stereotypes going. The more people who figure out what an XJ can do, the harder good deals will be to find.
Unread 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #89
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I like to keep the stereotypes going. The more people who figure out what an XJ can do, the harder good deals will be to find.
There are a lot of guys out there looking for a vehicle that is able haul their fat wives/GF's and fat kids!

Makes their values go way up!

I tried to put a fat chick in my YJ once, it turned over just like Fred Flintstones car did when they stuck that rack of brontosaurus ribs on top of it.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.