Rant: Sick of people confusing Cherokee and Grand Cherokee - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Rant: Sick of people confusing Cherokee and Grand Cherokee

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
AlTheKillerr

buy a real jeep

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I've gone through the same thing at parts stores with my WJ. I went trying to buy new carrier bearings for the rear axle I think. They ask me the usual year/make/model/engine. Then we get to the drivetrain and I have to explain why I don't have a D35 anymore and swapped in a D44a from a V8. After that experience I just told them I had a V8. About the only thing I get at auto parts stores now is oil, filters and maybe the occational hose. Everything else I order from Rock Auto.

Anyways, I don't find the Cherokee-Grand Cherokee thing as aggrevating as people calling the Jeep 4.0L a V6. Open the hood dummy, that's not a V anything!

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I go in with a part number, problem solved. If they don't have the part, I go to another store.

I can see why they need to ask the questions though. Majority of people have no freaking clue what they drive. Some rich kid came into autozone the other day when I was there with his BMW. He had no clue what engine was in it or even what model the car was. He thought that if he bought the part (it was leaking coolant everywhere) that the employees would install it.

I left the store and he was still arguing with them. Having worked in customer service before, I give people who are friendly lots of credit. I wanted to slap people upside the head almost every day. It was sometimes fun "killing them with kindness". I could care less if I have to answer 20 questions asked by a friendly person, but give me a rude know-it-all who thinks he knows everything and I take my business elsewhere.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
Then we get to the drivetrain and I have to explain why I don't have a D35 anymore and swapped in a D44a from a V8. After that experience I just told them I had a V8.
Yes, if you've swapped in a part from a different model, and you need parts for that part, just tell them you have a whatever model/year the part came from. Telling them the details about your swap just confuses them.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
KG20

They made teal Grand Cherokees?
KG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #36
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Which one has the unibody again?
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #37
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
[LIST=1]
[*]The ZJ was meant to "replace" the Grand Wagoneer (hence my previous point).
The ZJ was meant to replace the XJ.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #38
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I shouldn't have said "meant" because you are correct that the intent was to replace the XJ. The reality was that it replaced the Grand Wagoneer however...well, not so much even replaced as simply capitalized on the vacuum created by the death of the GW.
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #39
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

ok a ''real'' auto buff with a ''rat-rod'' said to me the other day whilst i was checking out his ford fairlane

''hey thats just like my 99' '' referring to my zj

mine is a 97 btw

very different

i dont have a rice engine and you can f'ing tell dammit !
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When it's ignorant owners that make a mistake, I can forgive it. When the pros at the junk yard screw it up so that their online inventory system e-mails me, wanting XJ parts, about an 00 WJ and I make the 30 minute / $2 trip out there to see they ****ed up, that pisses me off.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #41
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some genius had ab ad on craigslist saying he was selling a front grille assembly from a 98 Cherokee a while back. I called to make sure it wasn't from a Grand Cherokee, and he said it wasn't. So i drove an hour to go pick it up to find out it was, in fact, from a GC. And it was just the center piece, not an assembly by any means. He told me it would still fit my XJ, so I made him walk outside with it and put it up against the front of my XJ. He still didn't see the difference. This was a paint and body shop. I almost beat him with the part.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #42
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You guys are aware that MANY people are not Jeep enthusiasts and couldn't tell a TJ or from a JK or an XJ from a ZJ?

That parts guy probably sees 100 people a day, many of whom don't know what they are doing as well as you. To keep them from coming back to complain, he has a script he HAS to follow. I'm sure none of you have never asked for something to be repeated at your job or had a topic where you were not as well versed as someone else.
I am well aware that many can't tell, but when I talk to a guy who owns several harleys I don't stand there and act like I know more about them than he does. That's the point behind my comment, if you know almost nothing about something and someone else is really into it, you should listen to them and maybe not argue so much.
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #43
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
Yes but lets be realistic here how many times are we going to the same parts stores with the same people and still asked the same stupid questions? I only have a few part stores around I use if I'm really stuck for parts and by now if they can remember my name from my debit card you think they would remember I drive an xj,plus thy always have my name address phone number for warranty info in the computer so why not my vehicle info?
Considering I see hundreds of people and cars a week, it's damn near impossible to keep up with which face goes with which car and what mods have been done to it. Sure, there are a few I can keep up with, but I still ask about specifics.

The computer only keeps up with stuff you've bought with a current warranty. That's it. Try to think realistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ
I've gone through the same thing at parts stores with my WJ. I went trying to buy new carrier bearings for the rear axle I think. They ask me the usual year/make/model/engine. Then we get to the drivetrain and I have to explain why I don't have a D35 anymore and swapped in a D44a from a V8. After that experience I just told them I had a V8. About the only thing I get at auto parts stores now is oil, filters and maybe the occasional hose. Everything else I order from Rock Auto.
Once again- I cannot keep up with your build. If you need parts for your axle, say you need them for whatever it came from instead of your stock one. If you tell me it's a 01 Grand Cherokee, I'm not going to look up XJ parts or D44 axles. I'm going to look up a stock '01 Grand Cherokee unless you say otherwise.
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
buy a real jeep
I'm sick of people with Cherokees and GC's claiming they have a 'Jeep' when you ask them what kind of car they have.

IMHO, if, when asked what kind of car your have, you reply, "Jeep" that means you have a vehicle with a soft top or removable hard top that is either a CJ or a Wrangler. Any other Jeep requires the addition of it's model name, such as 'Jeep Cherokee.'
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #45
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

^ lol
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.