Rant: Sick of people confusing Cherokee and Grand Cherokee - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Rant: Sick of people confusing Cherokee and Grand Cherokee

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91

I do that every time. If you need a brake light, I'm going to ask you everything my computer asks. I'd rather been safe then sorry.

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Im like 99% sure that bulb sizes/types do not differ between engine sizes.

I like to confuse the people at autozone and tell them i have a 4 banger one day, and a 6 cylinder the next. Most of the time they dont notice because i go there for alot of different vehicles. Not to mention all the different ones that my car is made out of lol. Needles to say im on a first name basis with most of them, and most think im some sort of wizard because i actually know something about cars

JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

I once went to an autoparts store that i dont usualy buy parts from when i needed brakeshoes for the rear axle on my ZJ and here is what happend:

Me: Hello i would like to buy brakeshoes for the rear axle for my 93 grand cherokee w 5.2 engine.
Part guy: Ok what year?
M: 93...
PG: What engine?
M: 5.2 v8
PG: Drum or discs?
M: Drums rear, discs front
PG: Drums rear or front?
M: Didnt you listen? rear
PG: Sorry, my computer says that a 93 grand cherokee with 5.2 and drums on the rear dosent exists.
M: Your computer is wrong and if you dont belive you can walk out with me and take a look for your self.
PG: No if the computer says it does not exist it does not exist.
M: Bull**** so your telling me that the jeep i drove to your parkinglot does not exist?
PG: Yes.
M: Thats weird because if you look out of the window you can se it and you can even se the drums on the rear axle.
PG: I dont need to, i know it cant be possible because the computer said its impossible..
M: Though quietly for my self dumb*** and left and have never been back there again.

I went to another store and they got everything on the first try after i said what jeep and what i needed for it.
Guess what store i go to for parts now and for ever?
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What is a Cherokee? Oh that's right, not a Wrangler.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
It's that wonderful machine that pulls out stuck yjs on 32s
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_End View Post
I work at autozone and get to deal with this every day. But it's not as simple as confusing the name. God help me if they tell me they have a Cherokee, so I get parts for a Cherokee, and it end up being a Grand Cherokee. Then it becomes "my fault."
Big problem back in the day with the Bronco and Bronco II
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
What is a YJ? Oh that's right, not a wrangler.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Why couldn't they have just called it the Grand Wagoneer instead? Especially annoying when you're searching for something XJ-related on the internet and it comes back as ZJ/WJ/WK/WK2. Christ, there's too many frickin' Grand models.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #23
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Why couldn't they have just called it the Grand Wagoneer instead? Especially annoying when you're searching for something XJ-related on the internet and it comes back as ZJ/WJ/WK/WK2. Christ, there's too many frickin' Grand models.
  1. There was a Grand Wagoneer ZJ in 1993 just like there was a Wagoneer XJ. Auto manufacturers' manipulation of products and consumers never ceases to amaze me.
  2. The ZJ was meant to "replace" the Grand Wagoneer (hence my previous point).
  3. When you search, either use "XJ" instead of "Cherokee" or put "-grand" in your search to remove any hits with "grand" in them.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

I hate when I walk into a parts store and get the look of "you're a woman, you don't know what you're talking about..." While I may not know everything about Jeeps, you can be damned sure I know everything about MY Jeep. I like telling them the distinction between my Grand Cherokee vs a Cherokee. Like the look on their face when I tell them it's a Hemi.

Once got asked the question if I knew that high mileage oil wasn't going to give me more MPG's. That was the last time I used the convenience of Jiffy Lube and their wonderful employee with "Juicy" tattooed on his neck.

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Windrider
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm fortunate that we have one hard core parts store here. Well, out of five parts stores.

One guy has an XJ, another has a YJ and the other is restoring a 70s Z28.

I usually walk in with the part number. It is funny, ever once in a while someone goes into automatic and ask for model make and year to see if it will fit. I usually just smile and they say sorry, habit.

2006 Tan LJ - Less and less stock by the day.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm glad the parts stores guys ask, because my stupid boyfriend tells everyone we have a Cherokee.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've been working with a non "jeep guy" with a ZJ. He argued with me for 45 minutes that mine was NOT a 97 because his "cherokee" was a 97 and they don't look anything alike......"they must have something wrong on the title or something, it's got to be way older than mine cause my brother has a 94 that looks just like mine." The worst part is, he's my boss and 10 years older than me. One would think he would understand the difference after I pointed out the lack of the word "grand" on mine and that it was present on his....Oh no, still took another 40 minutes to pound it in his head. Then I had to go through the whole, "yes they DID make a cherokee and a grand cherokee at the same time" bit....

The best part was when I drove the WK to work the next day, He was really confuse then.
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #28
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, that seems to be the common reasoning among people in the wrong: that Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are the same vehicle with Grands just being newer. I had the "no, they coexisted from 93-01" talk with one of my co-workers just recently. I was very surprised at how hard it was to convince her--she really had a hard time letting go of the idea that they were just different generations of the same vehicle. Later throughout that day I went on to point-out every 96 ZJ I saw to drive the point home that THOSE are 96 Grand Cherokees (compared to my 96 Cherokee).

Re below: Like I said, I don't blame the parts guys, but it's frustrating, and I DO expect many people to tell a Chero from a Grand Chero--they look extremely different. Hell, regarding parts guys, most of the time I just come in with part numbers since their computers can be rather wrong pretty often anyway.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #29
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You guys are aware that MANY people are not Jeep enthusiasts and couldn't tell a TJ or from a JK or an XJ from a ZJ?

That parts guy probably sees 100 people a day, many of whom don't know what they are doing as well as you. To keep them from coming back to complain, he has a script he HAS to follow. I'm sure none of you have never asked for something to be repeated at your job or had a topic where you were not as well versed as someone else.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You guys are aware that MANY people are not Jeep enthusiasts and couldn't tell a TJ or from a JK or an XJ from a ZJ?

That parts guy probably sees 100 people a day, many of whom don't know what they are doing as well as you. To keep them from coming back to complain, he has a script he HAS to follow. I'm sure none of you have never asked for something to be repeated at your job or had a topic where you were not as well versed as someone else.
Yes but lets be realistic here how many times are we going to the same parts stores with the same people and still asked the same stupid questions? I only have a few part stores around I use if I'm really stuck for parts and by now if they can remember my name from my debit card you think they would remember I drive an xj,plus thy always have my name address phone number for warranty info in the computer so why not my vehicle info?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.