racing harness in a jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > racing harness in a jeep?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-01-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

racing harness in a jeep?

My seatbelts are all chewed up from getting slammed in the door, i looked all over for replacements and a friend of mine is willing to give me his 5 point harness out of his race car for $25 a piece. Anyone ever do this? Is it going overboard?

04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2002, 08:40 PM   #2
Crash&Burn

Thats what I'm planning for my rig, 4 point, that is. I don't think your need the crotch strap.
A problem might be getting the shoulder straps to stay in place.

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2002, 10:59 PM   #3
Ranger

i'd say look a little harder.

i mean, ive seen some belt replacements in the JcWhitney JEEP catalog.

i think the 5 point is a little much, espicially if its a semi-daily driver. if you think about it though, it's just gonna be more of a problem. you go to get some groceries, and you have to unbuckle and buckle back up 5 times.

im sure you can find a direct O.E replacement for them, just try JC Whitney, and they will be about 20 to 25 a peice, sometimes O.E is just cooler.

Govenrment Policy: If it aint broken, Fix it till it is.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2002, 01:43 AM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

In a Wrangler with a roll bar I'd say they're fine. You do have to get used to the buckle hassle (or you might start driving without). In any other vehicle I'd stay away from a 4/5 point belt unless you've got a roll cage. In a rollover the 4-pnt belts won't let you move to the side and you can smush your head on the roof if it collapses. The standard 3-pointer allows you to move more.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
iJeep

I love my 5points! If you wheel your jeep kind of hard and roll from time to time then the 5points are the way to go. $25/ea is a great deal if they are in good condition. OEM replacement belts are very expensive. You can modify stock seats to use the harnesses and add a bar to your roll cage for the should harnesses. It takes about 10sec more to get settled in...but that is about the same difference in time that it takes someone to unlock a door, since i dont have locking doors.
iJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2002, 07:54 PM   #6
RodeoRob

Here's a friend of mine's Jeep that i help work on...

We simply removed the stock seat belts and got eye bolts thats screw into the stock seat belt location. For the should straps, as part of our roll cage, we added a horiz. bar behind the seats which the straps loop over.

On a side note... At least for NC, stock seat belts are required to be in place to pass inspection. Not saying that you won't be able to get it inspected, but it is the law.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2002, 01:01 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Do you have to have stock seatbelts or can DOT approved 4 point harnesses be used?
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2002, 10:29 AM   #8
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

RodeoRob- your picture didnt come out, is there a hyperlink I can go to? or can you email them to me backpacker888@hotmail.com ?
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2002, 03:44 PM   #9
RodeoRob

oh sorry, you can check out my friends webshots album at http://community.webshots.com/user/jtstang
There are picts of the harness and racing seats in there.

horatio102, you have to have the stock seatbelts in place, you're not allowed to modify them no matter what you add. at least thats the law in my area.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.