Questions for puppy breeder - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Questions for puppy breeder

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
GreenliftedTJ97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

99% of the time fancy full breed AKC registered (insert name of breed here) is a ball of health & temperament problems, find a good healthy mutt in your local shelter.

New Jersey & you, broke together since 1787
GreenliftedTJ97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenliftedTJ97 View Post
99% of the time fancy full breed AKC registered (insert name of breed here) is a ball of health & temperament problems, find a good healthy mutt in your local shelter.
really???

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
x2!!!
Quote:
really???
YEP!!
I know so many people with high $ dogs who have major medical problems. The lack of genetic variation keeps a lot of problems in the dogs.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
I breed basset hounds. I place an ad in our local trading paper, but to be honest with you most of the puppies I sell are to people who know the owners of other pups ive raised and have came to me wanting a puppy. ive had entire litters sold before they were even born because of people coming to me. so ask your friends or get on FB and see if there are any local groups dedicated to the certain breed you're looking for that way you can get a good feel for who the good breeders around you.
Do 99% of your dogs have medical problems? Here is my basset. I didn't get him from you but I must have gotten lucky to get that 1 out 100 of registered dogs that is healthy.

Unread 12-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I am not sure why people always assume puppy breeders are bad. Theses dog resuce places are a ripp off. They take in strays that you kmow nothing about clean them, give them a couple shots fix them and adopt them out for 100 bucks ot more, and then beg for more donations. Actual they get free inventory, beg and can get tax exempt status, great businesses. Get a local paper find people with puppies or who are moving. You do need to be seletive and make sure you get the right dog.
Lol. Great attitude. I guess adoption of a child is a ripoff too. I mean, who would want top spend a dime to give a homeless child a home, when you can just go knock up some chick for the price of a few drinks

Most people who adopt a dog or cat that is a rescue do it because they realize there are tons of homeless/abandoned pets out there that will be just as faithful/loving as any dog you go get from a breeder or what have you, and want to provide a home to something in need.

Edited to add: A stray or abandoned dog or cat doesn't deserve to be abandoned just because its former owners were ****** bags. I had no need for a pure bred dog, and was happy to adopt a grown dog that no longer had a home.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol. Great attitude. I guess adoption of a child is a ripoff too. I mean, who would want top spend a dime to give a homeless child a home, when you can just go knock up some chick for the price of a few drinks

Most people who adopt a dog or cat that is a rescue do it because they realize there are tons of homeless/abandoned pets out there that will be just as faithful/loving as any dog you go get from a breeder or what have you.
well said!
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Would you go to a dog forum to ask automotive questions? If you want to do this right, don't ask a Jeep forum dog questions, find a good online community dedicated to the topic and use them. Better yet, seek-out a professional to consult with. Professional consultations can cost you, but are well worth it if you're really trying to cover all your bases. I charge for my canine consultations/training, so I'm hesitant to dish-out a whole bunch of info for free especially not knowing just how serious you are about this--wouldn't want to waste my time on someone looking for a quick and easy way to "just buy a dog."

Yes, I'm steering you AWAY from Jeepforum because while I've seen some good advice, I've also seen some pretty bad advice too.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
in just this thread I've seen some cringe-worthy advice
not sure which advice you are referring to, but I cringe every time I see people breeding and selling dogs when it is clear they are in it only for the money. When you've had to rescue dozens of dogs because people just got tired of them and left them to die, it makes my stomach hurt. Until you've done that repeatedly you may not understand. It is a topic I feel very strongly about. I work in a field that puts me out in various parts of town and I can't tell you how many dogs I see left to die-any many of them are pure breeds. It sucks when you have to just turn your head because you know you can't save them all. Too many people acquire cute little puppies and they are just like a child's toy that gets old and forgotten about.
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I love my mutt. I paid $40 to an adoption agency for her and would do it again.
Her mom was a breeding dog and got pregnant by a stray. She was left at the pound to die with a belly full of pups because the breeder didn't want to take care of any non-pure breeds. They were fine with her (and her 11 pups) being put to sleep because she was only a burden to them at that point.
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am not sure why people always assume puppy breeders are bad. Theses dog resuce places are a ripp off. They take in strays that you kmow nothing about clean them, give them a couple shots fix them and adopt them out for 100 bucks ot more, and then beg for more donations. Actual they get free inventory, beg and can get tax exempt status, great businesses. Get a local paper find people with puppies or who are moving. You do need to be seletive and make sure you get the right dog.
The dog rescues that I am quite familiar with here identify if the dog is a pure bred or mix. There are rules with a rescue just like an adoption shelter. Spaying microchip etc. If you cant shell out $100 for a shelter pup then what makes you think the new owner will shell out hundreds more for a 'purebred'. Money doesn't mean they are a good fit either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
I think AmbuGirl listed more questions than I would have before raising a child. Jesus Christ. Just find a reputable breeder if that's what you're looking for. If not, rescuing a dog is always a great option. It's up to you and not as damn complicated as others make it out to be. Good lord. All you need to know is that it doesn't have worms/other diseases and won't eat small children. Just give it a good home. That's all that matters.
Obviously some of the questions are already answered, but if he is looking for a breeder on FB I would be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Would you go to a dog forum to ask automotive questions? If you want to do this right, don't ask a Jeep forum dog questions, find a good online community dedicated to the topic and use them. Better yet, seek-out a professional to consult with. Professional consultations can cost you, but are well worth it if you're really trying to cover all your bases. I charge for my canine consultations/training, so I'm hesitant to dish-out a whole bunch of info for free especially not knowing just how serious you are about this--wouldn't want to waste my time on someone looking for a quick and easy way to "just buy a dog."

Yes, I'm steering you AWAY from Jeepforum because while I've seen some good advice, I've also seen some pretty bad advice too.
Clearly you haven't been on the forum long enough to know the depth of knowledge that some of our forum members have. You want him to seek professional consultation at a cost to find a puppy.

Either way, I still hope the op has enough info to at least get him started in whichever direction he choses to go.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here's our lil rescue. Previous owners dropped him off at the shelter because they were moving. We had been talking about getting a dog for a good solid year, but never acted on it. From the minute we saw his dopey lookin' *** on the website we fell for him. Met him at the shelter, hung out for a few hours, and home he came. One of the best decisions we had made, impulse or not.

$75 adoption fee. came with a bag of food, he has been given his shots, chipped, and fixed. Also included his first checkup visit to 1 of any of like 20 vets on a list. $75 seems like a pretty good deal to me, and I definitely plan to write a check and stuff it in the donation envelope that came in the mail last week.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

Most people who adopt a dog or cat that is a rescue do it because they realize there are tons of homeless/abandoned pets out there that will be just as faithful/loving as any dog you go get from a breeder or what have you, and want to provide a home to something in need.

Edited to add: A stray or abandoned dog or cat doesn't deserve to be abandoned just because its former owners were ****** bags. I had no need for a pure bred dog, and was happy to adopt a grown dog that no longer had a home.
To me a child does not equal a dog, you may see it differently. I am not saying don't go an pay a rescue shelter 100s of dollars for an animal, you are free to do as you please. I am saying there are plenty of dogs elsewhere to rescue.

You don't have to go to an animal shelter to rescue a dog. I have resuced 3 dogs in the last four years.

Unread 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That is a good-looking dog Dr. Marneaus. He looks like a lot of fun. I see what you mean about his dopey look though. LOL
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Quote:

Do 99% of your dogs have medical problems? Here is my basset. I didn't get him from you but I must have gotten lucky to get that 1 out 100 of registered dogs that is healthy.
I've not had any health problems. My adult dogs are healthy and well fed with quality food and taken care of. A lot of the puppies health comes from the health of the parents.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Also I've seen a lot of negative comment on here about people who breed dogs. Although there are breeders out there that breed dogs with no cares about health and over breeding, that's not how all of us are. My dogs are part of my family. I do breed my bassets I have 2 females and 1 male and have 1 litter a year alternating the females each year. One of my females was a rescue. I also have a basset mix and a yorkie mix who were both rescues as well. I don't breed my dogs for the money. I do it so other people can enjoy these great pets. Before you make these remarks you need to consider that there are those of us that to care about what we do.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.