Questions for puppy breeder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Questions for puppy breeder

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
boondocksaint2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Questions for puppy breeder

I'm looking into getting a corgi puppy for my gf, but have no idea on how to know if I'm buying from a good breeder. I've had one dog since I was 11 and he's about to die so I'm new to this process.

I found a local breeder on fb and messaged her, and she responded with pricing (200 deposit and another 200 at pickup), and offered to provide references and such. She seems to do most of her business on fb but says she uses puppyfind as well.

What all should I be finding out from her to ensure I'm going to be picking up a good healthy puppy?

Unread 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

One its always better to rescue or adopt. Too many puppy mills out there. Two if you insist in using a breeder, go to the akc website and find reputable breeders. This will ensure a healthy puppy with proper screenings in the puppy and you.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
one its always better to rescue or adopt. Too many puppy mills out there. Two if you insist in using a breeder, go to the akc website and find reputable breeders. This will ensure a healthy puppy with proper screenings in the puppy and you.
please!!!!!
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am not sure why people always assume puppy breeders are bad. Theses dog resuce places are a ripp off. They take in strays that you kmow nothing about clean them, give them a couple shots fix them and adopt them out for 100 bucks ot more, and then beg for more donations. Actual they get free inventory, beg and can get tax exempt status, great businesses. Get a local paper find people with puppies or who are moving. You do need to be seletive and make sure you get the right dog.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am not sure why people always assume puppy breeders are bad.
The problem is there are too many good dogs out there that need a home. Too many people buy or acquire a cute little puppy and as soon as the newness wears off they are forgotten about.

Not all breeders are bad, but there are plenty out there with only one care and that is the $.

The small fee you pay to an adoption agency is what allows them to keep doing what they do - and that is taking in the abandoned strays that are no longer cute new toys.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
The problem is there are too many good dogs out there that need a home. Too many people buy or acquire a cute little puppy and as soon as the newness wears off they are forgotten about.

Not all breeders are bad, but there are plenty out there with only one care and that is the $.

The small fee you pay to an adoption agency is what allows them to keep doing what they do - and that is taking in the abandoned strays that are no longer cute new toys.
Small fee? Where I live now it is 100 bucks forva small dog. Whenn I lived in CA it was more than double that. Go straight to a mom and pop breeder and you can get many dogs for that or not much more. If you look you can find people giving pups away.

Unread 12-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.petfinder.com/

Unread 12-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

LOL

None of the above post answer the OP's question.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonash View Post
LOL

None of the above post answer the OP's question.
The akc website I referred to has a list of questions to ask a breeder before buying from them

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

from the akc site:

Breeder Interview Questions
Once you select a breeder, screen the breeder.
Here are some questions to ask:
How long have you been breeding?
Are you a member of an AKC Parent Club or any other dog-related club?
Describe the breedís characteristics?
What is this breedís temperament like?
How big will the dog get?
How much exercise does the dog need?
Does this breed bark a lot?
Does this breed shed?
How often will the dog need to be groomed?
What are the best training methods for this dog?
How old will he be before he acts like an adult dog?
Does this breed do well with children?
Does this breed do well with other pets?
Do you do health screenings prior to breeding a litter?
Do you show your dogs at AKC events?
Your contact should be willing to answer all of your questions fully. He or she should
also ask questions about you, your lifestyle, and your family. If a contact doesnít respond
to your inquiries, or doesnít show any interest in the life the dog will lead after it leaves
his or her premises, you may want to look elsewhere. A responsible breeder is
committed to making a good match between prospective owners and the dogs in
their care; thatís the kind of person you want on your side as you make the journey
into dog ownership.
If a home visit is scheduled with the breeder ask to see at least one of the parents
(the dam or the sire) of your puppy. See how the dogs in your breederís home interact
with your breeder. Are they friendly and outgoing or do they shy away?

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 12-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

AKC papers don't ensure a healthy animal. I used to work at a vet and there was a lady who bred several breeds who came in time to time. Her adult dogs were always filthy, disgusting, and full of genetic disease...but AKC registered. She sold the bulk of her pups on the internet and if someone did come to see her place, she'd clean up the parents and the pups just for the visit.

Does AKC require vet records to register a litter, or just the registration papers of the parents?

FYI my cat is purebred and a breeder surrender that I adopted from a shelter. Purebreds end up in shelters too, ya know. Breed-specific rescue groups are usually bursting at the seams and the overflow still ends up at the shelter.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
from the akc site:

Breeder Interview Questions
Once you select a breeder, screen the breeder.
Here are some questions to ask:
How long have you been breeding?
Are you a member of an AKC Parent Club or any other dog-related club?
Describe the breedís characteristics?
What is this breedís temperament like?
How big will the dog get?
How much exercise does the dog need?
Does this breed bark a lot?
Does this breed shed?
How often will the dog need to be groomed?
What are the best training methods for this dog?
How old will he be before he acts like an adult dog?
Does this breed do well with children?
Does this breed do well with other pets?
Do you do health screenings prior to breeding a litter?
Do you show your dogs at AKC events?
Your contact should be willing to answer all of your questions fully. He or she should
also ask questions about you, your lifestyle, and your family. If a contact doesnít respond
to your inquiries, or doesnít show any interest in the life the dog will lead after it leaves
his or her premises, you may want to look elsewhere. A responsible breeder is
committed to making a good match between prospective owners and the dogs in
their care; thatís the kind of person you want on your side as you make the journey
into dog ownership.
If a home visit is scheduled with the breeder ask to see at least one of the parents
(the dam or the sire) of your puppy. See how the dogs in your breederís home interact
with your breeder. Are they friendly and outgoing or do they shy away?
x2 on what AMBUGRL posted....

BUT!

...also do a crap-ton of research and know the answers to those questions before you ask the breeder! There are plenty of resources out there to get basic breed information. This will ensure that they are knowledgeable IF they answer correctly. If they can not answer or start making up answers that don't jive with your research then steer clear! Good luck which ever way you choose to find the new family member.
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think AmbuGirl listed more questions than I would have before raising a child. Jesus Christ. Just find a reputable breeder if that's what you're looking for. If not, rescuing a dog is always a great option. It's up to you and not as damn complicated as others make it out to be. Good lord. All you need to know is that it doesn't have worms/other diseases and won't eat small children. Just give it a good home. That's all that matters.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, weíre a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know we have gotten off track but OP here is my advice. Figure out what you want out of the dog, and then pick the breed.

If you have already done that and have chosen the appropriate breed start looking for an internet forum that deals with that dog. Kind of like what we do here. Then find more local people and see who they recommend.

Unread 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I breed basset hounds. I place an ad in our local trading paper, but to be honest with you most of the puppies I sell are to people who know the owners of other pups ive raised and have came to me wanting a puppy. ive had entire litters sold before they were even born because of people coming to me. so ask your friends or get on FB and see if there are any local groups dedicated to the certain breed you're looking for that way you can get a good feel for who the good breeders around you.
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.