Question for food delivery people, and the people that tip them. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Question for food delivery people, and the people that tip them.

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Srhmn8r

Question for food delivery people, and the people that tip them.

It seems a lot of places that used to have "free delivery" are now charging a "delivery fee" when you place delivery orders. I ordered Papa Johns last week and they tacked on an extra $2. That's on top of all the food taxes and the "pizza tax" that we have here. I typically tip about $3, so a $10 pizza ends up costing me about $17 these days.

My question to the delivery guys is this: Do you actually see any of that $2? Does it come directly to you and become part of your "tip"?

I reallize that it goes towards covering your gas and vehicle maintenance but do you have any "left over?"

Unread 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What the hell is a pizza tax?
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

my store charges $1 for delivery and yes, the drivers get all of it. gas prices suck these days, but our drivers spend it on pot.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
shunt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHman View Post
but our drivers spend it on pot.

Well at least it's going to a good cause....
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
SmithersGS

Pizza Hut charges $2.50 for delivery, and we drivers get $1.05 of that. It's highway robbery; please call corporate Pizza Hut and complain about it. Problem is, customers see that $2.50 on their ticket and they do think I get all of it, so they tip less.

The really messed-up part is back in 1999-2000, when I worked P-Hut as a cook in high school. Back then, when gas was still a buck, the delivery charge was $.85, and the drivers got $.50 per run.

Can anybody rationalize why, when fuel cost has more than tripled, Pizza Hut takes more from the drivers' pockets?
SmithersGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHman View Post
my store charges $1 for delivery and yes, the drivers get all of it. gas prices suck these days, but our drivers spend it on pot.
i have never known a pizza delivery guy that wasnt a stoner...

some of them even deliver more than pizza...
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Kedive
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Salad View Post
Pizza Hut charges $2.50 for delivery, and we drivers get $1.05 of that. It's highway robbery; please call corporate Pizza Hut and complain about it. Problem is, customers see that $2.50 on their ticket and they do think I get all of it, so they tip less.

The really messed-up part is back in 1999-2000, when I worked P-Hut as a cook in high school. Back then, when gas was still a buck, the delivery charge was $.85, and the drivers got $.50 per run.

Can anybody rationalize why, when fuel cost has more than tripled, Pizza Hut takes more from the drivers' pockets?
Sounds like one more reason to just not order from Pizza Hut anymore.

And to the OP Pizza Tax?
Kedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

I've never heard of this pizza tax, and I've ordered many a pizza (though never got it delivered)

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just drive to the place and pick it up.

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There was a heated debate about tipping pizza delivery drivers a few months ago on here.
Most places around here have "walk-in" specials which are much cheaper than delivery prices. You're already paying a premium before they even add the delivery charge.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

i will gladly pay an extra 2.50 to not have to put on pants. sorry you don't see that money, but you really should consider seeing me naked a part of your tip.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #12
xxxflhrci

No need to put on pants, here. Our Little Caesar's has a drive up window. 5 bucks and they hand you a pizza out.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, Jesus only asks for 10%!! What is all of this 15% and 20% that some people think is fair? Someone is trying to get too much sugar for a dime.

What gets me is when you GO IN TO somewhere like McAllister's Deli, go up to the counter, order, pay for it and then either wait for your meal or go set down and they bring it to you. When they give you the ticket, it has a place for a tip right there. That is ridiculous! It's like tipping the bartender for pouring a stinking glass of brew for you while you are sitting at the bar. How much work is involved in tipping a bottle and pouring some liquid in a glass? Or why would anyone pay a tip up front, at the places like I mentioned where you stand in a line to order when you might get your food and never see that serving person come back to your table? I pay for performance.
I do tip some for delivery though, just to show I'm not totally insensitive.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Kedive
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Boy View Post
i will gladly pay an extra 2.50 to not have to put on pants. sorry you don't see that money, but you really should consider seeing me naked a part of your tip.
I find they usually don't want a tip when I start digging through my banana hammock to find my change.
Kedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
There was a heated debate about tipping pizza delivery drivers a few months ago on here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/how-much-do-you-tip-pizza-delivery-guy-490408/

And I stand by my convictions.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.