Question about Road-Trip with Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Question about Road-Trip with Jeep

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
willard_07

Question about Road-Trip with Jeep

I have a 1955 CJ-5 jeep. It is in good working order and runs great. I was planning a road trip out to Oregon this summer and was wondering if I should take it. It has minor problems but i am going to fix everything before i leave, and buy new tires. But does the fact that it only goes 50/60 top speed going to hurt the jeep? By driving on the highway will it wreak the jeep in someway? Or should i only use back roads? If it breaks, how hard will it be to fix it on the road? I just want to have some fun once i get to the rockies and camping. If you can just give me your opinion on this that would be great..

William Ruzek

Last edited by willard_07; 01-27-2008 at 12:04 AM..
willard_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

You'll kill it. They just were not built for long distances at high-ish speeds. Being a '55, parts might be tricky to locate.
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard_07
I am a 1955 CJ-5 jeep.
Welcome! Tell your owner that unless he's very mechanically inclined and willing to make on-road repairs, he may have a chore on his hands. Also, unless he has a ready supply of spare parts to carry along with him, he may be challenged to find any along the way.

That being said, if he has the time and the money to get you up and running to a degree where he's comfortable taking you on this journey, it sounds like it would be a blast!
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep trips are fun, but thats hecka long trip in a CJ5. Your young, but U still may need a kidney transplant after all those miles.
If your jeep can make it or not?... only U can say. How dependable is it? No one can say if what U break is hard to fix... since U could break just about anything in a rig that old.
Does it have an overdrive? Sounds like it does'nt since U mentioned not going over 60mph. Gas mpg could really suk???
I think I'd have some serious first thoughts.

Good luck if ya do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
willard_07

Ok. first off, sorry about the " I am a 1955..." , and it doesn't have an overdrive. I am very concerned whether it could make it, but my other alternative are : buy a newer jeep, or take a prius. Yeah the prius is great mpg but no fun in mountains, so no fun camping. I just really dont' know, i won't be drive alot each day, perhaps 3-4 hrs or so at the most. So, if i do take it what parts should i be the most concerned about? I know the engine/axles/drive stuff, but is there something else that i am not thinking of and going to forget to fix, or rebuild? Thanks so much for all your advice
willard_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #6
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rent a jeep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.