Question about car rental in the USA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Question about car rental in the USA

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Question about car rental in the USA

You reserve a rental car online. You turn up at the desk with your confirmation in hand and are told "Sorry sir, we're all out of that size of car. You'll just have to pay extra to get a bigger one". Is that permitted under consumer law in the USA?

This hasn't happened to me personally, but it has to somebody I know who took their first vacation to the States a while back. My own personal experience is that on the rare occasions when a rental place genuinely hasn't got any available vehicles of the size I've reserved, it's their problem not mine, and I've been given a free upgrade without having to ask or argue for it.

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
JeepTB

In the past I have always been upgraded to the larger car at the original price of my confirmed car. As far as what the law states, I just don't know.
JeepTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Each state also has their own consumer law. Most companies have it in the fine print that if they don't have your vehicle class in stock they can charge you the difference or upgrade for free.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

This. Enterprise did this when I worked for them. Depending on the circumstances and what size you were being upgraded to it would be free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
Each state also has their own consumer law. Most companies have it in the fine print that if they don't have your vehicle class in stock they can charge you the difference or upgrade for free.
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
bobjp

Happened once to me with no charge, but the "upgrade" was an HHR.
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Isn't that a downgrade?

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been upgraded for free plenty of times, but I've never heard of a reputable rental car company charging if they couldn't accommodate what they originally agreed to rent you.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Same thing happened to me and I was pissed, but the only two cars literally left on their lot was an HHR or a Cube. That's the only car competition the HHR is ever going to win.

If I'm ever told I'll have to pay for an upgrade due to their mistake, I'll be visiting the next counter down.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.