Pulling Teeth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Pulling Teeth

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-12-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

Pulling Teeth

So I'm getting a couple teeth pulled today. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but its better than the pain I've been having for the past month or so. I'm getting my two bottom wisdom teeth taken out.

Now, I've asked some people I know what I should expect, but nobody tells me the same thing. Like my mom said that I should be fine by tomorrow, but my girlfriend said I'll be in pain all weekend.

So what am I in for?

rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

how impacted are they. I had all four pulled a couple of years ago and had no problem. I had 2 that were 1/2 impacted and had to have the gums cut first to get them out. Mine sound pretty lame because I've heard of people being doped up for weeks because their's hurt so much.
Mine I just chewed on the sutures and said f*** it.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
John in MA
1994 ZJ 

Depends on how impacted they are, but they'll hurt like hell at least over the short term. It's worth it if they've been bothering you, though. Take care of the wounds and you'll heal right up. Keep the packing on for the first day. Drink lots of cool water, don't suck on straws or drink warm things. Stock up on yogurt, energy drinks, liquid diets, pure ice cream, and lots of fresh fruits you can blend into smoothies. You'll learn to hate that stuff after a while but it'll be great when you can't eat anything else. Keep your sockets clean for several weeks after that.

I had all four out this summer (older than I should have been). From what I read my experience seemed to be typical. The upper two weren't too bad, the lower two were partially imapcted in the bone, and the roots were hooked. I ended up in bed for a couple days. Took small amounts of Percoset for maybe 5 days, then ibuprofen for days after that. Real solid food took somewhere around 1-1.5 weeks.

Oh yeah, are your upper wisdom teeth weird at all? I'd have them done at the same time. Once you have it done once, you'll never want to have them do it again. And see about getting the surgeon to give you your party favors.

John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
TJ on the Rocks

John , thanks for the pictures ! I was just about to eat breakfast
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had all four removed a couple years ago and used full anethesia. I went to sleep, woke up with gauze all in my mouth. No pain at all. Just had to relax the rest of the day. I actually slept most of it. The hardest part is thinking about it. When you are done, you'll see its not a big deal.
bryris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had bottom two pulled a couple of years ago. Just local anethesia, watched and feeled the doc smacked each of my teeth to 4 pieces and pull them out.

Didn't hurt then, but after the injection wore off it hurted a bit (still nothing serious). Then from the second day on it's only sore till it healed.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tell them you want Darvocet, because Vicodin makes you itch and keeps you from peeing.
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I never used any pain killer afterwards, it's not that bad.
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
arbby
2005 KJ Liberty 

thats to much after i ate breakfast knowing im getting mine pulled soon

Gone: 1993 YJ
arbby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
I never used any pain killer afterwards, it's not that bad.
I had mine done at 16 and it hurt like hell. My wife had hers done last year, at 25, and it didn't even phase her. I'm a puss I guess.
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
I had mine done at 16 and it hurt like hell. My wife had hers done last year, at 25, and it didn't even phase her. I'm a puss I guess.
Maybe surgery technique improved over the years and they now kill the nerve endings?
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Maybe surgery technique improved over the years and they now kill the nerve endings?
Could be. I know the surgeon went nuts with his cauterizing machine, because I could still smell the burnt flesh when I came to later that night. Maybe they're just easier to get to later on in life.
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
catdieselpowa

When I got my bottom two pulled, I woke up with the surgeon's bloody hands in my mouth. I couldn't feel any pain, but I felt crunching in my lower jaw. I still need to get the top ones out. Not looking forward to it.
Christian Jeeper's Club #86

94 YJ Sahara 4.0-6 spd-2" Rough Country-31" Swamper TSLs-Angle Iron Rocksliders-SOLD!!!!
1947 CJ-2A: Work in progress.
catdieselpowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had all 4 yanked while I was outprocessing the AF. I didn't have any problems, but everyone is different. Be careful not to suck on straws until your wounds heal. You can get dry socket and I hear it's painful. I think it's where you suck the scabs off of the wounds and they can no longer clot properly.
Texan4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
Indy

I had mine done a while back. When I woke up I saw the DR. and nurse putting their clothes back on. No, wait. That was Seinfeld.

Anyway I was told as a youngster that its best to get them done when they first appear in x-rays. I guess they just open the gum and lift them out. Much easier than later when they've fused to the jawbones.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.