Pulling my TJ behind my truck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Pulling my TJ behind my truck

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-08-2002, 01:35 PM   #1
Wayne M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling my TJ behind my truck

As you can see from my signature I have a new 2002 Wrangler X with the I6 4.0L. I need to find out what the pros and cons to pulling the jeep behind my Cummins. Other than the info that is provided in the owners manual and the video tape I received when I bought the Jeep I really don't know what I need to do in order to pull the Jeep.

What I am looking for is some specifics, such as, am I going to damage the drive train in any way if I pull it per instructions? What is a really good towbar to invest in? Am I going to have any problems towing the jeep on a 1200 mile round trip, etc., etc?

I got a free 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty when I bought the Jeep....you the "home for the Holidays" promotion Chrysler was running. I guess if I followed the owners manual and had a problem it would most likely be covered under warranty, but I know how picky DC can be with their warranty work.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

2002 Jeep Wrangler X ...... well it was an X when I bought it, but it has grown up just a bit!.........2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab "King Ranch"..........1998 Honda Fourtrax 300............2004 Honda Foreman 450 ES
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #2
horatio102
Web Wheeler

If you're going to tow it a lot, and it sounds like you might, you may want to look into getting a flatbed trailer to put it on. There was somebody around here trying to sell their '95 (I think) YJ with over 300k miles on it due to being towed behind their motorhome. I gather that since all four wheels were on the ground, the odo kept ticking. Maybe the TJs are different though.
I know on my Ram there are a dozen points or so that I'm supposed to grease every couple thousand miles... not sure if the TJ has them or not, but if it does you'll end up with screwey maintenence schedules for oil change and chassis lube.
That said, I'm sure plenty of people tow their TJs without a problem.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2002, 09:21 AM   #3
bcompton

Per my manual ('01 TJ) if you put the tcase in neutral, the ODO is disconnected. I really doubt if DC would put instructions in a manual for towing if it was in any way going to increase their warranty claims costs.

You will need a good towbar and tow lights. For the lights, you can get a trailer-end connector and tap into the Wrangler's brake light circuit, or get magnetic tow lights like those sold by Quadratec.

The challenge is going to be mounting a tow bar to the bumper. All towbars say the mount to flat surfaces, but they don't give good instructions on bracing to the frame behind (the Wrangler bumper is too thin by itself).

Look for one that uses the frame attachment points for your bumper (like under the tow hooks, etc) or have a trailer shop install it for you professionally.

Good luck!
01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2002, 09:34 AM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

For a lot of trailering, a flatbed is the way to go.

Otherwise, again for a lot of trailering, spring for the Warn full floater kit for the rear axle, I'd also convert your front hubs. Unlock the hubs and you will cause no wear to the drivetrain, only the wheel bearings - no big deal. However, this will cost likely more than a decent used trailer. You have to decide which mode is safer (a trailer has brakes, which will save your Dodge), and which has better costs over the long run, including fuel, wear on both vechicles, etc.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2002, 12:02 PM   #5
Wayne M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info!!!!
2002 Jeep Wrangler X ...... well it was an X when I bought it, but it has grown up just a bit!.........2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty Crew Cab "King Ranch"..........1998 Honda Fourtrax 300............2004 Honda Foreman 450 ES
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2002, 03:10 AM   #6
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Check out Tomken machine - I believe they've got a nice tow bar setup. If you've got a HD front bumper you can get the bar and a universal mount for under $150, or they've got mounts for the stock bumper for a little more.

And if you do get a trailer, you might get one a little bigger than the TJ so you could take ALL of your toys with you! (except the Yukon of course)
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
Wrangler , TJ Wrangler , Towing , Towing with truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.