JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   Pulling my TJ behind my truck (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pulling-my-tj-behind-my-truck-281/)

Wayne M 01-08-2002 01:35 PM

Pulling my TJ behind my truck

As you can see from my signature I have a new 2002 Wrangler X with the I6 4.0L. I need to find out what the pros and cons to pulling the jeep behind my Cummins. Other than the info that is provided in the owners manual and the video tape I received when I bought the Jeep I really don't know what I need to do in order to pull the Jeep.

What I am looking for is some specifics, such as, am I going to damage the drive train in any way if I pull it per instructions? What is a really good towbar to invest in? Am I going to have any problems towing the jeep on a 1200 mile round trip, etc., etc?

I got a free 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty when I bought the Jeep....you the "home for the Holidays" promotion Chrysler was running. I guess if I followed the owners manual and had a problem it would most likely be covered under warranty, but I know how picky DC can be with their warranty work.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

horatio102 01-08-2002 03:17 PM

If you're going to tow it a lot, and it sounds like you might, you may want to look into getting a flatbed trailer to put it on. There was somebody around here trying to sell their '95 (I think) YJ with over 300k miles on it due to being towed behind their motorhome. I gather that since all four wheels were on the ground, the odo kept ticking. Maybe the TJs are different though.
I know on my Ram there are a dozen points or so that I'm supposed to grease every couple thousand miles... not sure if the TJ has them or not, but if it does you'll end up with screwey maintenence schedules for oil change and chassis lube.
That said, I'm sure plenty of people tow their TJs without a problem.

bcompton 01-09-2002 09:21 AM

Per my manual ('01 TJ) if you put the tcase in neutral, the ODO is disconnected. I really doubt if DC would put instructions in a manual for towing if it was in any way going to increase their warranty claims costs.

You will need a good towbar and tow lights. For the lights, you can get a trailer-end connector and tap into the Wrangler's brake light circuit, or get magnetic tow lights like those sold by Quadratec.

The challenge is going to be mounting a tow bar to the bumper. All towbars say the mount to flat surfaces, but they don't give good instructions on bracing to the frame behind (the Wrangler bumper is too thin by itself).

Look for one that uses the frame attachment points for your bumper (like under the tow hooks, etc) or have a trailer shop install it for you professionally.

Good luck!

CJeep 01-09-2002 09:34 AM

For a lot of trailering, a flatbed is the way to go.

Otherwise, again for a lot of trailering, spring for the Warn full floater kit for the rear axle, I'd also convert your front hubs. Unlock the hubs and you will cause no wear to the drivetrain, only the wheel bearings - no big deal. However, this will cost likely more than a decent used trailer. You have to decide which mode is safer (a trailer has brakes, which will save your Dodge), and which has better costs over the long run, including fuel, wear on both vechicles, etc.

Wayne M 01-09-2002 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the info!!!!

horatio102 01-10-2002 03:10 AM

Check out Tomken machine - I believe they've got a nice tow bar setup. If you've got a HD front bumper you can get the bar and a universal mount for under $150, or they've got mounts for the stock bumper for a little more.

And if you do get a trailer, you might get one a little bigger than the TJ so you could take ALL of your toys with you! (except the Yukon of course)

The time now is 03:56 PM.