PS3 gaming thread - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > PS3 gaming thread

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #541
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
I still don't see why games would go up. They're still bluray disks.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
To cover "costs" I'm sure... Or because its just the nature of the beast & history of the habit.

DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #542
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJs99TJ

To cover "costs" I'm sure... Or because its just the nature of the beast & history of the habit.
Don't doesn't worry about that. They made money the first couple months the ps3 came out, then they took a loss on every single one. They make so much money everywhere else that they don't need to on the PS.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #543
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Games on discs nowadays are cheaper overall than the 8 and 16-bit eras (factoring inflation) when they used molded plastic cases, PCB boards and had to be assembled and have a sticker slapped on. I remember some SNES and Genesis games pushing into the $80-$90 range because of the custom chips that were used, and you payed through the nose if you lived in Canada or Australia. There's very little production cost that goes into a disc, it's all done by a machine. The 'costs' go towards development and publishing and development these days rivals that of most Hollywood movies. Hardware was simple in the cartridge era and teams were pretty small. Now watch the credits after you finish a game today and count how many names there were that worked on it; that's why they cost 'more' today, at least in terms of base cost. System complexity has diversified the programming positions into specialized roles whereas back in the day, a handful of people could do everything.

Consoles always sell at a loss for several years; the 360 and PS3 didn't start turning profit until 2010, several years after their launch. They bleed money like crazy, relying on the attachment rates of titles and accessories sold.
capture.jpg  

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #544
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ
Games on discs nowadays are cheaper overall than the 8 and 16-bit eras (factoring inflation) when they used molded plastic cases, PCB boards and had to be assembled and have a sticker slapped on. I remember some SNES and Genesis games pushing into the $80-$90 range because of the custom chips that were used, and you payed through the nose if you lived in Canada or Australia. There's very little production cost that goes into a disc, it's all done by a machine. The 'costs' go towards development and publishing and development these days rivals that of most Hollywood movies. Hardware was simple in the cartridge era and teams were pretty small. Now watch the credits after you finish a game today and count how many names there were that worked on it; that's why they cost 'more' today, at least in terms of base cost. System complexity has diversified the programming positions into specialized roles whereas back in the day, a handful of people could do everything.

Consoles always sell at a loss for several years; the 360 and PS3 didn't start turning profit until 2010, several years after their launch. They bleed money like crazy, relying on the attachment rates of titles and accessories sold.
Wow, we'll said - and in a serious manner also... Reminds me of a lecture in college (only this time about something I like). But hat the attachment shows me is game prices do have enough room for growth that they aren't capped at the $63 and change they are at today.
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #545
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

digital downloaded re6 with all the extras for $35 the other day

not bad
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #546
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
digital downloaded re6 with all the extras for $35 the other day

not bad
Downloaded new Tomb Raider w extra maps & weapons for $40. But, not sure how much bearing it has, was still a digital download... Not a disc. Plus neither download is really in the 'new' category now.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #547
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Think im going to pick up "The Last Of Us". Playstation exclusive so I might as well enjoy it lol
I enjoyed the Uncharted games. The gameplay was great and the graphics are some of the best ive seen. Naughty Dog really knows how to lay out a decent story as well. If anyone else is getting it when it comes out and wants to team up send me a pm

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #548
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

On another note, also excited to play Rainbow Six:Patriots

Basically a 2nd civil war during this time period, "Patriots" that rise up against the american gvmnt. Kinda crazy in these days they would have a game like that and seems kinda relevant. I dont know which side you play, but either way. Sounds worth a play thru.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
Unread 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #549
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Downloading Uprising. Out today for ps3 on Blk ops 2

Unread 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #550
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Eh. Not gonna but it. The others were a waste.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #551
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Studio is basically firing range with new skin. One of my FAvs from bo1. I got the season pass for Xmas and might as well. I quit playing it for a long minute

Unread 05-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #552
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Yeah it's a waste.

Unread 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #553
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

I like the new maps. Way better then the last set they released.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #554
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Rented Resident Evil revelations from Redbox. I guess it's between RE4 and 5. Seems ok so far except for loading every 3 minutes

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #555
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Anyone get Resident Evil Revelations on redbox? I want to try out the co-op

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.