Predictions/what do you think? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Moto4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Predictions/what do you think?

So tomorrow Im going to go to a GO dealer and let them check out my 06 TJ and im going to look at a 06 LJ (both manual 6 speeds, I6, there almost identical but ones an LJ and its a rubicon, mine is an X with rubicon wheels and 245/75r16 MTRs durawall) (http://www.gocarsandtrucks.com/index...st&PhotoType=1). My Tj has 16k miles, and is in great shape. We got it a year ago for 19,500 and In my opinion I think it would be a fair trade or close to one if there was no money on top of my jeep atleast and probably not any on the LJ considering it has 30k more miles, but i doubt it will go that way with a dealer. If i had to i would keep my original flares and swap some of the stuff on each to make it more appealing to the dealer, and i just dont really like the bushwacker flares on it that much and would replace it anyway.

SO, what do you guys think? Predictions on outcomes? Opinions? Am i crazy for thinking it would be a fair trade? Thoughts?

The best part is its a rubicon LJ too

Details of my jeep are in my profile, ask questions if you wanna know anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 AM
J_Thack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is not even close to a fair trade, the LJ Rubicon has more value than your X. The mileage is not that big of a deal and you can't compare what you paid retail last year to the price of the LJ today. Yes you have a lift, but so does the other Jeep, plus it has beefier axles, lockers, 4:1 transfer case, and it's an LJ. So what you have is base model vs top of the line model (for 06). I hope I don't come off as an ***, but that's how it is. If you do try and buy it, you may want to put your stock rear bumper back on before you trade.

I did a quick search on kbb, so I hope I got your zip code correct. I also didn't pay attention if I could select an option for a hard top. Expect for the dealer to put your Jeep in the fair to good category.
http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/jeep/wr...&mileage=16000

06 Rubicon
90 Comanche Eliminator
post #3 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 AM
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I agree even though your trade is the same value as the one you want. you're going to a dealer. (enough said) you will probably spend close to half what your trade is worth no matter what with a dealer. id keep your current jeep and upgrade when you can save your money. deals come around and it just takes time.
i honestly would take your jeep over the lj so feel lucky.

There was the episode where I threw my shoe at the enemy, like this!.... my foots cold.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Moto4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thats what i expected just because its a dealer and such, it was just a thought that it could be possible to be a pretty fair trade. And i am keeping the TJ, why would i pay more for something that has more miles and is the exact same thing only longer
post #5 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
Thats what i expected just because its a dealer and such, it was just a thought that it could be possible to be a pretty fair trade. And i am keeping the TJ, why would i pay more for something that has more miles and is the exact same thing only longer
It's not the same. One is a Rubicon

Personally, I would rather have more miles and a Rubicon, than less miles and an X. JMHO
post #6 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Moto4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
It's not the same. One is a Rubicon

Personally, I would rather have more miles and a Rubicon, than less miles and an X. JMHO
In the money i would have paid in the trade i could have made it a rubicon and a lot more haha
post #7 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
In the money i would have paid in the trade i could have made it a rubicon and a lot more haha
They tried to get you that bad eh?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Moto4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
They tried to get you that bad eh?
Yes it was ridiculous, i may be 17 but im not a ******* i told them all about the jeep they were clueless and then when they told me what they would do i didnt even think about arguing i took my keys and walked out. I kind of expected it though, just not what they offered. They offered it for my jeep and 7,500 even if i returned it to its original state which i could do. cause my jeep would fall under the "excellent condition, low miles" KBB category for sure so..
post #9 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

A dealership is in the business of making money, not friends. you pay retail, they pay wholesale. The Jeeps are not the same. The LJ is still low mileage.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Moto4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKABOB View Post
A dealership is in the business of making money, not friends. you pay retail, they pay wholesale. The Jeeps are not the same. The LJ is still low mileage.
Yea i got that down, 10k more miles on the LJ and its not low anymore
post #11 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
unlblkrubi
2013 JK Wrangler 

Should have told them to take off the price on the Rubi cause it did not have the stock wheels, bumpers, fender flares, had holes drilled in the body where the armor is bolted, aftermarket lift, etc...... Don't let push you around, make them think you know more than they do.

Black 13 JKUR 10th Annivsary
White 13 JKUR

post #12 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

45k for a 5 year old Jeep is still low miles (60k would be normal.) You have ridiculously low miles on your TJ (in fact your miles are so low I would start to worry about seals and bearings failing from lack of use, sitting in the same spot and taking a set, rubber hardening, etc..) Unfortunately for you, there isn't much distinction between the two in terms of book pricing between low and ultra-low. Add on top of that you have a stripper SWB, and the one you want is a top of the line LJ, and of course they aren't going to make an even trade, or anywhere near it.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Moto4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Should have told them to take off the price on the Rubi cause it did not have the stock wheels, bumpers, fender flares, had holes drilled in the body where the armor is bolted, aftermarket lift, etc...... Don't let push you around, make them think you know more than they do.
I tried my best haha, the holes drilled in the body would have been a good one though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
45k for a 5 year old Jeep is still low miles (60k would be normal.) You have ridiculously low miles on your TJ (in fact your miles are so low I would start to worry about seals and bearings failing from lack of use, sitting in the same spot and taking a set, rubber hardening, etc..) Unfortunately for you, there isn't much distinction between the two in terms of book pricing between low and ultra-low. Add on top of that you have a stripper SWB, and the one you want is a top of the line LJ, and of course they aren't going to make an even trade, or anywhere near it.
Yea no doubt about all that is true. Im pretty sure the first owner bought the TJ as a "luxury" vehicle for the weekends and sold it cause it wasnt anything close to the luxury they probably imagined cause it was FLAWLESS when we got it, it was basically brand new. There was no way it had ever seen dirt, but ive been using it, specially last summer (and a ton this summer, cant wait ). I think i would rather build my own TJ anyway, what really got me was it was the bigger axles with lockers and no slip yoke. So basically the rubi and the LJ part is what got me to call cause i sure do like LJ's haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.