Power steering for CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Power steering for CJ7

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 11-26-2001, 08:42 PM   #1
Lanny

Power steering for CJ7

I have a 1978 CJ7 with manual steering that I would like to covert to power steering.
I have a steering sector and pump from a 74 camaro. I've been told the sector will bolt right to my Jeep frame. I can make a mount for the pump and have an extra pulley to run it. Will this work?

Unread 11-26-2001, 09:40 PM   #2
Doug76CJ5

You can make just about anything work, it all depends on how much modifying you are willing to do. You will probably need to shim your pump and pulley to get the right belt alignment, but the only problem you might have is the power steering gear coupler to the slip shaft, I'm not sure how the camaro gear is splined but that's one thing I'd look at prior to starting the job. I bought the whole system to include all the brackets off of Ebay for about $150 that's far better than $500 some companies want for a used system.
Unread 12-13-2001, 05:08 PM   #3
Lanny

Thanks Doug.
Unread 12-14-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
GrandCherokeeLifer

I converted my 75 CJ5 258 I6 to power steering. I used a column and pump from a 85 CJ7 and it was practically a direct bolt-on. Go to a junk yard and see if you can find original Jeep parts. The only proplem that I remember having was attaching the column underneath the front cowl area. Good Luck!
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2001, 03:14 PM   #5
cj7kevin
1978 CJ7 

i have a 78 cj7 304 and tried to convert with a camaro pump and steering box. the problem came when i bolted the box on the frame. it bolted up but the shaft is diff. the box i tried had shorter splines and a smaller alignment shaft, the jeep version didn't. the steering shaft itself was another problem. power steering boxes use larger couplers. then we have the pump. the pump i had wouldn't fit the brakets because the return hose came out of the pump, bent down and was welded to the reservior for support. (wont go through the stock braket)
after all my complications i would advise finding jeep parts or serious customizing may result.
look out for #1 and try not to step in #2. -Rodney Dangerfield
cj7kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2001, 05:42 PM   #6
Lanny

Thanks for the reply. I've got a better idea now what I'm getting into. I'm a tool & die maker, so I expected to do some machine work to build a bracket for the pump. But I'll have to take a hard look at the steering shaft before I start. It might be more of a job than I want to tackle. Thanks for the advice. Lanny
Unread 01-10-2002, 08:24 PM   #7
Lanny

Just an update for this I posted Dec. 15. The 74 Camaro sector had a bigger spline then my Jeep so I traded it for a 82 Camaro which bolted to the column ok. I had to use the control arm off the 74 because the 82 wasn't straight like the Jeep. I had already built mounts for the pump on my 258. Then I realized the 74 hoses had flare fittings and the 82 had an o-ring type fittings. So back to the junk yard to get differant hoses and the pressure fitting on the back of the pump. Now every thing seems to work fine. All toll I payed $45 for the sector and pump and $11.50 for a new belt. So it took alot of jacking around but I got it converted pretty cheap. The first pump mount I made lacked 1/8 of an inch being foward enough for the belt to line up so had to make another. Which I did at work where I work in a tool & die shop which helped.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.