Post your states automotive laws (only links please) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Post your states automotive laws (only links please)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 03-30-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
Saturdaynight

Post your states automotive laws (only links please)

OK, I figure, rather then having people sift through tons of argument, I would create a thread just for posting links to each individual states laws and regulations pertaining to automobiles and/or 4x4 regulations.

If you feel you need to interject about some law in these links, please, lets not dirty this thread. Instead, post your gripe here.

In the interest of good off-roading, lets do everyone a favor and get as much information as possible. The more we know the better off we'll be and always remember to Tread Lightly.

I'll start off.

Vermont Periodic Inspection Manual (PDF)

Let knowledge guide the way, not ignorance. Tread Lightly & Know your state auto regulations.

Last edited by Saturdaynight; 03-30-2004 at 07:43 AM..
Saturdaynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
coolguycarlos

I didnt know Vermont was a state!
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club Member #76[/COLOR][/B]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82882][B][COLOR=Green][SIZE=2]Green Jeep Club Number Giver Out Dude[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
01 TJ Sport Flame Red, 33" ProComp M/T, Alloy Look alike Baja Rims, 4" ProComp lift, 4.56 Gear Ratio, Banks Exhaust and Header system, K&N FIPK, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, and lost of SS accesories :-)
[URL=http://www.console.iscentral.net][COLOR=LightBlue]Hack Ur PS2[/COLOR][/URL]
coolguycarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
adamonearth
2003 WJ 

Massachusetts

I know its a lot to sort through, but here is a link to ALL the general laws in massachusetts regarding motor vehicles.

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/gl%2D90%2Dtoc.htm
31 x 10.5 BFG AT/KO
Banks Torque Tube and Stinger Cat Back
Toys by Troy Rocker Guard [/SIZE]

Last edited by adamonearth; 03-30-2004 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: forgot to put in subject line
adamonearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
adamonearth
2003 WJ 

Oregon

Here is a link for oregon, my other home
The chapters with any relevent information are chapter 801 through and including chapter 826. http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/orschs-13.html
Here is a table of contents for those laws:
OREGON VEHICLE CODE
801. General Provisions and Definitions for Oregon Vehicle Code
802. Administrative Provisions
803. Vehicle Title and Registration
805. Special Registration Provisions
806. Financial Responsibility Law
807. Driving Privileges, Licenses and Permits
809. Refusal, Suspension, Cancellation and Revocation of Registration and Driving Privileges; Habitual Offenders; Vehicle Impoundment
810. Road Authorities; Courts; Police; Other Enforcement Officials
811. Rules of the Road for Drivers
813. Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants
814. Pedestrians, Passengers, Livestock, Motorcycles, Mopeds, Bicycles, Motorized Wheelchairs, Motor Assisted Scooters
815. Vehicle Equipment Generally
816. Vehicle Equipment: Lights
818. Vehicle Limits
819. Destroyed, Totaled, Abandoned and Stolen Vehicles; Vehicle Identification Numbers
820. Special Provisions for Certain Vehicles
821. Off-Road Vehicles; Snowmobiles; All-Terrain Vehicles
822. Regulation of Vehicle Related Businesses
823. Carrier Regulation Generally
824. Railroads
825. Motor Carriers
826. Registration of Commercial Vehicles

Happy reading
31 x 10.5 BFG AT/KO

Last edited by adamonearth; 03-30-2004 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: edited for size of post and subject
Unread 03-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
adamonearth
2003 WJ 

Rhode Island

Found these in about one minute for Rhode Island.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE31/INDEX.HTM
31 x 10.5 BFG AT/KO
Unread 03-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #6
Angry Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguycarlos
I didnt know Vermont was a state!

What are you serious?!

PA Modification laws:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/fs-recon.pdf
Unread 03-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
ChristopherJ
Resident Physician

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For Tennessee......

www.ducttape.com

If you can duct tape it and roll it down the road, you're fine.
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:19 PM   #8
nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdaynight
OK, I figure, rather then having people sift through tons of argument, I would create a thread just for posting links to each individual states laws and regulations pertaining to automobiles and/or 4x4 regulations.

If you feel you need to interject about some law in these links, please, lets not dirty this thread. Instead, post your gripe here.

In the interest of good off-roading, lets do everyone a favor and get as much information as possible. The more we know the better off we'll be and always remember to Tread Lightly.

I'll start off.

Vermont Periodic Inspection Manual (PDF)
good stuff Lonnie...only question though - do you have anything about 4x4 law type stuff. For instance, I am looking for if VT cares if tires are outside of flares and what about driving without doors???/?

On another note...I as reading the "gripe" thread and I thought that I would add here while on topic (sorry lonnie - too much effort for me to post in the other thread...) my tires are out of my flares - if I get a ticket for it - my fault...I know the consequences of my actions...

[COLOR=darkred]Follow Me To Certain Death Jeep Club Member #10[/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]RED JEEP MEMBER #91[/COLOR][/B]
nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:37 AM   #9
Saturdaynight

I've found the following, so far.

Virginia (HTML)

Ohio (PDF)

Idaho (HTML)

Nevada (HTML)

California (HTML)

Missouri (HTML)

New Hampshire (HTML)

New York State (HTML)

Kentucky (HTML)

Wisconsin (HTML)

Maine (HTML)

West Virginia (PDF)

North Carolina (PDF)

Hawaii (HTML)

Please help out with this initiative. It will help all of us. If any information is found to be incorrect, please PM me so I can fix the links.

Thank you!
Let knowledge guide the way, not ignorance. Tread Lightly & Know your state auto regulations.

Last edited by Saturdaynight; 04-01-2004 at 09:00 AM..
Unread 04-01-2004, 08:58 AM   #10
Saturdaynight

Here's an interesting web site.

http://www.statedrivinglaw.com/
Unread 04-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #11
Saturdaynight

Here are some laws for Colorado found by JF member cptn_mrgn78.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptn_mrgn78
Here are some for Colorado.

Colorado Laws to note;

42-2-119: you have 10 days to notify the DMV of any address change or name change. Failure to do so is a class B traffic infraction.
42-2-107: you have 30 days to get a Colorado drivers license after moving to Colorado.
42-2-115: you must give your license to any peace officer that askes for it if that officer believes that you have, are, or will commit any traffic violation. This means that you must remove it from any billfold, purse, wallet, container and hand it to the officer. Failure to do so is a class 3 misdemeanor traffic offense.
42-4-201(4): no vehicle shall be operated unless the drivers vision through any required glass is normal & unobstructed. Weak but usable if your windshield is cracked.
42-4-205: every vehicle will have at least 2 operating head lamps, height not to be more than 54" or less than 24" from the ground to the center of the lamp. Class B traffic infraction.
42-4-205: tail lamps (2) visible from at least 500' at a height of no more than 72" or less than 20". Also, a lamp that illuminates the rear plate visible from a distance of at least 50'. Class B traffic.
42-4-212: auxiliary lamps. No more than 2 floods (spot), 2 fog, 2 passing (side), and 2 driving. Fogs must be mounts between 12" & 30", passing between 12" & 42", driving between 16" & 42" all from the ground to the center of the lamp. Class B traffic.
42-4-215(6): no more than 2 back up lights. Can not be use while vehicle is in forward motion.
42-4-215.5: blue dots are allowed on street rods and custom motor vehicles.
42-4-219: while on any roadway, no more than 4 total front lights with a combined beam intensity of 300 candlepower.
42-4-226: mirrors. Every vehicle shall have at least one mirror. If there is no rear and rear side windows, that vehicle will have a mirror on each side.
42-4-227: tint, no less than 27% light transmittance, windshield & front sides no less than 70%.
42-4-228: tires, no less than 32 seconds of an inch depth. Of note in this section states that it is a class 2 misdemeanor to sell a vehicle intended for on road use with bad, bald, sliced, etc. tires.
42-4-233: alteration of suspension system. No person will operate a registered vehicle on any roadway "with either the front or rear suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design except in accordance with specifications permitting such alteration". Basically, install an aftermarket lift, you're ok. Switch your coil springs to leafs, violation. This section does NOT apply to motor vehicles designed or modified primarily for off-highway racing purposes.
Unread 04-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
coolguycarlos

Vehicle is too long for me even to care but here is the California one
Cali
[B][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club Member #76[/COLOR][/B]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82882][B][COLOR=Green][SIZE=2]Green Jeep Club Number Giver Out Dude[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL]
01 TJ Sport Flame Red, 33" ProComp M/T, Alloy Look alike Baja Rims, 4" ProComp lift, 4.56 Gear Ratio, Banks Exhaust and Header system, K&N FIPK, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, and lost of SS accesories :-)
[URL=http://www.console.iscentral.net][COLOR=LightBlue]Hack Ur PS2[/COLOR][/URL]
coolguycarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
wyldejackyl

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...s+Vehicle+Code

Hellinois
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #14
Joseph Humphrey

you have to read the WI law on modifying the suspention systems....
the gyst of it is---you can't modify the height of a vehicle more than 4 inches from manufacturer specs unless its to improve handeling. then you can go 5". and thats any part of the vehicle that they can measure...

and from what i can find, there is no wattage restriction for aux lights either! whoo
The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #34 (no more BB)
----------------
[B]Silver 98 ZJ 4.0 I-6[/B]
K&N FIPK Gen II
JKS Adjustable Track Bars F and R
JKS Adjustable Control Arms
JKS Quicker Disco's
Kevins 3.5" Lift Kit w/ MX-6 Shocks
US Wheel 15x8 10 spoke black Steelies, 31" BFG AT KO rubber
Joseph Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
yoshisushi

Last edited by yoshisushi; 05-05-2004 at 03:47 PM..
yoshisushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.