Pony Car Preference? - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Which Pony Car do YOU prefer?
Mustang 6 42.86%
Challenger 5 35.71%
Camaro 1 7.14%
OMG you are killing polarbears! 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Pony Car Preference?

I realize this is a Jeep and off road site, but many of us have other interests and passions. One of them cars that can maybe go fast... in a straight line. I know I do.

Which of the Detroit Three do prefer?

I am only listing the ones that are currently in production. Lol

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I sold my Challenger to get my JK. I loved that car, did most of the mods myself. Only vehicle I've owned that I named (Betty). By far my favorite of Detroit's current offerings.
There are times I miss her...other times I'm glad I wasn't driving it, cause that thing had a way of getting the cops attention and getting me in trouble
Attached Thumbnails
sale3.jpg   sale2.jpg   sale5.jpg   sale8.jpg  
NIUPonyBoy likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 16 Old 01-25-2017, 06:53 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
37 years i have owned this one. The storys of this thing and cops would take pages and not allowed here.............................................. ....

1971 built in Jan. Built in the Van Nuys Ca.( when they built things like this in Cali....

I have done ALL the work. Including the paint. Its Imron single stage. Fleet red.
Xch 454
Richmond six speed
12 bolt rear.
44 gallon fuel tank, wife calls it the rolling bomb.
Vintage Air, since the z28s built then there was NO ac option. Here in AZ with 110-120+ temps all summer no ac is not a option I could live with.

3rd owner and have the window sticker...3200$ new out the door>................tires and rims would cost more today............................................. .........................................

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Oddly enough,
you only have one pony car on your list. Now if you are referring to muscle cars, well that is a different matter............

I'm with 222Doc. For the money, I would go for the vintage iron.
Back in the day, my wife owned a 65GT fastback.
Disc brakes, T10, rally pack, "A" block, pony interior, and stock factory mags. We drove it for years as a DD, and sold it in the early 90's for roughly twice what we purchased it for.

bazinga
post #5 of 16 Old 01-25-2017, 11:33 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The only thing is Vintage is getting real pricey. When i bought it back in 1980. It was a $1500 car, then the owner had a 427/4 speed in it. They had rebuilt the L88 but could not get it to run. I tried it , back fired, flames out the carb. He said they tried everything. He wanted 2200. I said i have 1500 cash( in 50s) made it look like a wad. he took it. I pulled out a 9/16 open end pulled the distributor put back in 180 degrees from were it was. Fired right up. 4 weeks latter tossed a rod. They used 3/8 rods, not the 7/16 forged. They polished the crank though, lol. any way a few years with 427s after that but i tended to run them out to far and Bang, OCIR grudge nights. Picked up one of the VERY last Xch 454 they had in cal back then in a crate for 1800 bucks for the last Ls7 that Guaranty Chevrolet would ever see. Parts was sad to see it go. Though back then few people wanted a 12.5Cr Open chambered large D port heads. with Zr1 racing cam. that would need 105+ octane. back then Trick racing fuel was 3.60$ today its like 10 bucks a gallon. filling this up is like filling a boat. still runs today.

post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2017, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Oddly enough,
you only have one pony car on your list. Now if you are referring to muscle cars, well that is a different matter............

I'm with 222Doc. For the money, I would go for the vintage iron.
Back in the day, my wife owned a 65GT fastback.
Disc brakes, T10, rally pack, "A" block, pony interior, and stock factory mags. We drove it for years as a DD, and sold it in the early 90's for roughly twice what we purchased it for.
Incorrect. All three are in the pony car arena.

I too like the vintage stuff, but I was going with just what is currently being produced. Much smaller and easier list. Lol

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
post #7 of 16 Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
Incorrect. All three are in the pony car arena.
Incorrect......
Your header did not include the word "arena".
So let me help.....

Quote:
"Which modern reproduction muscle car do you prefer"
Given these parameters,
As a Ford guy, it pains me to make this admission, but, I am hard pressed not to put the gen 7 Corvette at the top of my list. Not only is the forward half of the car very pretty, but they managed to do something with that "chopped off" look at the rear that most modern cars seem to sport.....

bazinga
post #8 of 16 Old 01-26-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Incorrect......
Your header did not include the word "arena".
So let me help.....

Given these parameters,
As a Ford guy, it pains me to make this admission, but, I am hard pressed not to put the gen 7 Corvette at the top of my list. Not only is the forward half of the car very pretty, but they managed to do something with that "chopped off" look at the rear that most modern cars seem to sport.....
Corvette is not a pony car. The other three are.

The word "arena" has nothing to do with anything, the Mustang was the first of the breed and the Camaro and Challenger (again for simplicity only the ones that are currently in production) were created to compete with the original pony car, the others are considering to be in the same league or arena.

post #9 of 16 Old 01-26-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car

This is the accepted "definition" of a pony car, so that is what is being used to describe a pony car.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-26-2017, 09:36 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Corvette has always been a sports car. Though even a Jeep(cj) sarcastically was reported as"Jeep is America's only real sports car. by" Ferrari'. Ill take it though as a compliment. Ever try the Rubicon in a Vet?

post #11 of 16 Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
I sold my Challenger to get my JK. I loved that car, did most of the mods myself. Only vehicle I've owned that I named (Betty). By far my favorite of Detroit's current offerings.
There are times I miss her...other times I'm glad I wasn't driving it, cause that thing had a way of getting the cops attention and getting me in trouble
I would drive that. I like it

I have owned many Mustangs over the years, currently just one, and had one Camaro. Wasn't a fan of it but loved it since I traded a case of Corona for it. Best cat deal I ever made. Lol

post #12 of 16 Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car

This is the accepted "definition" of a pony car, so that is what is being used to describe a pony car.
I stand corrected.

As previous owner of a Mustang GT back in the 90's, and a long standing member of the local Mustang club, I can tell you if you showed up at a Camaro club and called their cars "pony cars" you would get your lights punched out.

Pony car was used exclusively for the Ford Mustang in particular, and for all the ford "horse" cars in general, for obvious reasons.

bazinga
post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2017, 06:23 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The 70s killed the real mustangs. Mustang II was an insult to the auto industry and the Fox bodies looked like they were designed in a high school computer lab. I had 6 of my own'65 - '72. My last and newest one was a '72 and even with the 351C it had no where near the guts of my '68 with a 289. Favorite was a '69 Mach that I bought with a 351W and repowered with a 428scj out of a donor Torino.

Of the newer ponies I really have to stick with Mustang because they went back to the '69 Mach 1 styling and tuned the exhaust to sounds like real power. The Camaro is only for short people, my head hits the ceiling and I can't see anything but headliner and hood out the windshield. The Challenger still offers a big 8 and I would love to drive one but they still sound like beating a metal garbage can with a whiffle ball bat.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM
KrimsonKnight
2007 WK 

as a guy who just totaled out his third mustang i guess you can figure what my answer would be. i have had 1 NE v6, 1 NE gt, and i just got totaled out in my loaded s197 v6. all set up with suspensions/drive train mods to help me do some autocross. on top of that my father and i have a '69 mach1.

as far as the current versions go....the new mustangs i think are nice but are to Euroish. the new Camaros are to small for me and i don't like the cramped views out. the challenger has the power.....but it needs that power to move its weight.

'97 GC Laredo(family back up)
'07 GC Laredo(personal DD)
post #15 of 16 Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Indy

I've always been a mustang guy, owned several from 69 to now. But i like any muscle/sports car older than '70.

Ive spent some time in the 15 mustang and liked it but I'm glad I've moved on to better cars. I'll likely add some old muscle to the garage again in the future as a toy though.

I'm the only gay eskimo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.