PNW people, did you survive that storm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > PNW people, did you survive that storm?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

PNW people, did you survive that storm?

To the folks in the Pacific Northwest, did you survive the 130 mph winds, power outages, flooding, etc, etc....do you have power back so you can read this? And if so, what was it like?

Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I made it just fine. Being in Mt Rainier's armpit pretty much dampens the effects of any storms we get. Ironically, everything due west, south and north of me gets hammered. I was in Seattle on Saturday and it just started snowing like crazy in a matter of minutes.

The biggest story has been the 20 mile stretch of I-5 closed as well as the Amtrak rails. I've seen it flood in that area before but never quite this bad. Lots of pics here: http://www.komotv.com/weather/photos

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Some of those pics are crazy
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
DannibusX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It rained pretty good for a day and a half straight, there was a lot of flooding but the winds had pretty much died down when they got to my area. A lot of places did get hammered, but it was business as usual for me.

I did drive through and around some areas that had substancial flooding though.

Coming soon: Exhaust, Wheels and Tires, Axle Gearing.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There's a Ford dealership right next to the interstate... they used to have a GT40 in the showroom from time to time. I wonder if they moved it?

Unread 12-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
ben_wagner
1994 ZJ 

I got about 6 inches of snow on Sunday, but as soon as it warmed up it turned into heavy rain and it all melted. Water pooled up on some of the roads, but I'm at a high elevation... I couldn't imagine what it would have been like in the lowlands.

The wind was scary... nature sure can put you in your place.
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Parky

My parents only got an inch of rain, but they live up in the San Juan Islands.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Jeepokee

Slept right through it.
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Jeepokee

This is I-5

Unread 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
To the folks in the Pacific Northwest, did you survive the 130 mph winds, power outages, flooding, etc, etc....do you have power back so you can read this? And if so, what was it like?
I'm willing to bet that the people who didn't survive won't respond to this thread.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

Everyone's fine in my neck of the woods. The biggest winds were on the Oregon coast. The national news reported yesterday that I-5 was closed from Seattle to Portland...lol. The local news geniuses are trying to sell it as a huge disaster. I-5 down Chehalis way might be closed longer than they are saying. It seems that in some areas where the water has receded enough for visual inspection, the road bed is gone from underneath the road. People down that way are pretty self-sufficient; if you hear any crying for FEMA it will be from the liberal politicians.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

At my house, the power went out because the last major wind storm (up to 90mph winds) had knocked a branch onto the wires and had enabled the wire sheathing to melt and rub back and forth on each other.

My surge protectors in my den popped and fried my roommates XBOX 360, the router and modem for internet, the dishwasher is toast and lost shingles off my roof.

My Grandma's house flooded (she lives less than 200 feet from the Chehalis river) flooded and ruined the carpet. My Grandpa's house (right next to Grandma-they're divorced but still live within 500 feet of each other) flooded also and what sucks is that it was just built. What really sucks is that his dog drowned (miniature Dachshund) because it was too short.

My Dad works for roads and transportation (Roads and Transportation Service=RATS )and he was having to film the severely flooded roads for the Roads department and everything was really bad.

There was three cars in the ditch not too far from the University I go to and one (a Taurus) had nosed into the ditch and had its end sticking out of the ditch and was 50% in the air. Also, along one of the main drags past campus 75% of the alder trees had lost their tops and looked as if someone had blown them off with dynamite.
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
My Grandma's house flooded (she lives less than 200 feet from the Chehalis river) flooded and ruined the carpet. My Grandpa's house (right next to Grandma-they're divorced but still live within 500 feet of each other) flooded also and what sucks is that it was just built. What really sucks is that his dog drowned (miniature Dachshund) because it was too short.
What really sucks is that in '03 when that bill for a .05 gas tax was passed (as if WA doesn't have some of the highest gas prices in the country already), $30 million went to the county to prevent the river from flooding.

Well, since no one could figure out how to do that (your elected officials and tax money hard at work) the funds went elsewhere.

If I lived down there, I'd be head-hunting right now.

Unread 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My parents live 6 miles inland from Newport Oregon. They have a weatherstation on top of the house. Wind recorded at 106mph. Had to be much highr right on the coast. I've been listening for all the reports of looting and rescue helicopters being shot at, Any updates?
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^^I have family in Lincoln City...125mph winds in town and several down trees, power poles, etc. Minimal flooding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.