Playstation vs xbox - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Playstation vs xbox

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Welcome to the JeepForum gaming community!

Post your gaming stories, deals and news here. Just general discussion for gaming. I think we've all moved on from the prerelease hype and fanboying and now we can just focus on games. Any questions regarding either system will be answered by people who own the systems and games. Let's try and keep it civil however if you don't, it won't be the first or the last time.

If you want to bash either console, go ahead, but be careful as we are a passionate group and like to "debate".

Noobs feel free to leave you Gamertag or PSN Id on your first post.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I vote PC.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Both consoles make use of an eight-core AMD Jaguar processor — which is a big win for AMD — the PlayStation 4 features 1,152 GPU cores compared to the Xbox One’s 768 graphics cores. Sony’s new console drives 1.84 TFLOPS as a result, compared to the new Xbox’s peak shader throughput of 1.23 TFLOPS.

The PlayStation 4 also has the edge when it comes to system memory, featuring 8GB of 5500MHz GDDR5 memory compared to the Xbox One’s 8GB of 2133MHz DDR3 RAM. Embedded memory and embedded memory bandwidth for the Xbox One are still unknown.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97zj
i vote pc.
win!!!!

Unread 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
kidkotic2001
2011 WK 

I will be pre ordering both, I like the Xbox one live tv features and the PS4 exclusive games.

Oh yeah and a beer always sounds great.
kidkotic2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

I'll be the first to say the share button is pretty lame. I'm interested to see what they do with the touchpad tho. Hopefully not a fail like SIXXAXIS was. I think only a few developers used it lol

I'd like to see the touchpad be used to control Hellstorm missiles or something along the lines of that. I bet it will be used to control the cursor instead of the analog stick in the browser.

The last thing I need is another freakin Netflix device. My tv does netflix, my tablet, my phone, my computer, my laptop, my freakin coffee maker has Netflix now! (not really) The worst part is Netflix sucks anymore and has no movies I really want to watch

Unread 05-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

Xbox fanboy here. I do own a PS3 but I mainly only use it to play Gran Turismo and watch Blu-rays.

Here is a list of Xbox features that Playstation has copied or tried to copy:

Achievements : This is one of the most influential ideas in gaming history. First experienced by xbox gamers.

HD Graphics : Xbox 360 was the first HD gaming console. Period.

Trial games: First on xbox, can you even remember what it was like to buy a game without playing a trial version for free first?

Gamerscore: Only reason I played through Mass Effect 14 times.

Matchmaking: No one has done it as well as Bungie and Microsoft. Do PS gamers even know what this is?

Kinect: Revolutionary, relegated Wii and PS Move to the dustbin. Still hasn't been duplicated by anyone else.

Happy gaming!
MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
Trial games: First on xbox, can you even remember what it was like to buy a game without playing a trial version for free first?
Wrong. Playstation was the first; PS1 to be exact. A CD came with many gaming magazines and it would have about five or six different trial games on it. I wore the RE2 demo out waiting for its release. In fact, I may even have one of those old trial CDs in one of my closets.
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a hardcore xbox guy. I grew up on super Nintendo and sega genesis, then a PS1 which I loved but hated the controller, finally got an xbox and loved the controller (not the original super fat one though). I've had 3 original Xboxes and two 360's. But, I will not be buying the xbox One. I won't deal with the Always Live, it's stupid not to make it backwards compatible, I don't want all my **** stored in the cloud, and the built in Kinect sensor I don't like. There have been numerous talks about using the sensor to track the people in the room so when you rent a movie online, it charges per person and pauses when there are too many in the room. They've also talked about monitoring voices so that they can tailor commercials to the viewer. **** that.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ
Both consoles make use of an eight-core AMD Jaguar processor — which is a big win for AMD — the PlayStation 4 features 1,152 GPU cores compared to the Xbox One’s 768 graphics cores. Sony’s new console drives 1.84 TFLOPS as a result, compared to the new Xbox’s peak shader throughput of 1.23 TFLOPS.

The PlayStation 4 also has the edge when it comes to system memory, featuring 8GB of 5500MHz GDDR5 memory compared to the Xbox One’s 8GB of 2133MHz DDR3 RAM. Embedded memory and embedded memory bandwidth for the Xbox One are still unknown.

Edges on paper are funny. It's hard to find 'official' numbers, but the 360 supposedly had about the same performance disparity against the PS3 -- and almost no one could tell the difference when comparing cross-platform titles between the two except for pixel-hunting nerdmasters. And more often than not, the 360 actually looked and performed a little bit better due to its more flexible architecture (all of Rockstar's games ran at a higher resolution on the 360 than the PS3.) The PS4 may be more powerful on paper, but it remains to be seen once again if the developers can get enough out of it to make a marginal difference.

The speed of the RAM is largely irrelevant. What matters most is the sheer amount, as that's what opens up draw distances, the number of on-screen models and number of simultaneous players online. Both have 8GB which is pretty much the standard in PC gaming these days, so we shouldn't be getting any more retarded-*** 24 player max in Battlefield or pop-in textures. And guess what the most common type and speed of RAM is for high-end PC's these days? DDR3 2133 MHz. I think GDDR5 is just superfluous -- and while it might look to have an advantageous performance ceiling, how much extra oomph will it really provide (if any) before it starts hitting diminishing returns? A Bugatti Veyron may go 260 MPH or whatever, but how often does one ever actually get up to its max speed potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
I won't deal with the Always Live, it's stupid not to make it backwards compatible, I don't want all my **** stored in the cloud, and the built in Kinect sensor I don't like. There have been numerous talks about using the sensor to track the people in the room so when you rent a movie online, it charges per person and pauses when there are too many in the room. They've also talked about monitoring voices so that they can tailor commercials to the viewer. **** that.

I can say right off that the charging per movie thing is complete bull****. That was a patent filed several years ago and means nothing. It could even have been filed to prevent competitors or third party publishers from using it in games on the 360. As for LIVE having to be 'always on' (which I think has been interpreted poorly as well) I don't have a problem with it because my 360 has always been set to sign on as soon as it powers up anyway. I can't see any reason to ever turn it on with the intent of not having it logged into LIVE. You can't use any online video apps or play multiplayer or anything...kind of pointless for anything but strict single player campaigns.

Backwards compatibility would have been extremely costly to do properly (with hardware, like the PS3 did at first,) so the decision to not include it wasn't 'stupid.' The 360 uses a completely different CPU with different instruction sets that would have been a nightmare to port over to the new PC-style x86 chip, resulting in crappy ports at best. 360's are cheap nowadays, there's no reason to not keep one around strictly for retaining the ability to play titles on it. The PS3 played PS1 games fine but didn't do very well with most of the PS2 library. So those who really wanted to play their PS2 games had to keep the PS2, which also played PS1 games making the PS3's ability to do so pretty redundant. BC is just a perk and not something that should be expected out of a new piece of hardware that is replacing its predecessor with almost 10 year old technology.

I'd wait until E3 before passing too much judgment, a lot of details will be explored and clarified more in-depth there.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

[QUOTE="PhilipJ"]

almost no one could tell the difference when comparing cross-platform titles between the two except for pixel-hunting nerdmasters.

The PS exclusives always have better graphics than Xbox exclusives.

The speed of the RAM is irrelevant.

Now your being silly

A Bugatti Veyron may go 260 MPH or whatever, but how often does one ever actually get up to its max speed potential?

If I had one, every day!

As for LIVE having to be 'always on' (which I think has been interpreted poorly as well)

If the cant even interpret their OWN system properly, what does that say?

Backwards compatibility

Sony has already confirmed popular PLAYSTATION 1-3 titles will be available
on the Store.

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Xboxone, no doubt about it
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ View Post
The PS exclusives always have better graphics than Xbox exclusives.
Um, I don't even...how do you compare two things that don't even correlate? So God of War has better graphics than Forza 4? Oooookay.

Quote:
Now your being silly
Okay, what I meant by 'speed' is that needing the speed of the fastest consumer-grade memory on the market which is only used in video cards in a console as system RAM is irrelevant, as evidenced by the current PC DDR3 standards. Just about any flavor and speed of DDR3 is going to provide nearly the same real-world results in most games; the performance differential only looks greater on paper because of the metrics used to grade them, but you won't be able to tell the difference physically. PC games are fast as ****; they don't need GDDR5 as system RAM. DDR3 has been just fine for a few years now.

Quote:
If I had one, every day!
Uh huh. On what road would you do this, legally? Practicality and plausibility are working factors here. I bet only Sony's in-house developers are going to be able to push the system to its full capabilities at first (if at all) with their exclusive franchise IP's because they designed the damn thing. The PS2 and PS3 were tough for third party devs to develop for because of the bizarro system architecture; it took several years for them to get the most out of it. Now that the One and PS4 will have nearly identical setups, there isn't going to be much incentive to put extra time, money and effort into making one cross-platform title look better than the other.

Quote:
If the cant even interpret their OWN system properly, what does that say?
It says the media misinterpreted it. At this point it's still somewhat undefined, but we'll know a lot more at E3 and it doesn't REQUIRE a connection 24/7. But it's a frickin' media box, why wouldn't it be 'on' (re: or 'on' as in a standby state) 24/7? Everyone's routers and cable modems are on 24/7, just as vulnerable as the devices connected to them. Cell phones are on 24/7. A lot of people leave their laptops and desktops on 24/7 to no ill effect, so I'm not quite sure what the blow up is over this.

Quote:
Comment From Joe
Hi Larry. There seems to be some confusion in the media on how frequently users must connect to the internet to use the Xbox One. Will this be as frequent as once a day as rumored or will we be able to use the console for extended periods of time without an active connection? Thank you.
4:16

Major Nelson (Larry Hryb): Answer: No. It does not have to be always connected but it does require an internet connection.
By 'require' he means, you know, have the ability to connect since it's a damn media box (for features, TV, social media, updates, apps, patches, etc.) Buying a One and not taking it online is like buying a Rubicon and never even leaving the garage.

Quote:
Sony has already confirmed popular PLAYSTATION 1-3 titles will be available on the Store.
That's great, but it's not really backwards compatibility if they only choose to port over popular games that they know will sell. BC should encompass an entire library, not just prestigious select titles. And it's kind of cheating to re-release something digitally, that's not backwards compatibility because you're re-buying the game and it's not the original code. True BC is being able to use the original media; that's the whole point.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i'd rather just buy the old console to replay my game library, instead of rebuying a digital copy of it.
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

BC is a non issue for me since I will be keeping my 360

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.