Patriot??? or cherokee - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Patriot??? or cherokee

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
madrabbitt

the body on the patriot is much taller, thats probably why it appears to be higher up.

The suspension is the same on both. The tire/wheel package makes up for that 1/10th of an inch.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

With the data right in front of me the roof height on the Compass is 64.2 v Patriots 64.4 - whoopee. The illusion of the Patriot being taller is created by a more vertical windshield and rear window on the Patriot. The GC on the FWD models is 8.0, FD I is 8.4 and the FD II Patriot is 9.0. with up to .15 variation on any of them caused buy marketing's "fudge factors". The MK's are derived from a modified Caliber PM chassis which means that they are not Calibers anymore, at least no more so than a CJ is an MB.

The CVT's use steal as the drive chain not rubber.

The Patriot FD II gets it crawl ratio by having a lower gear for the final drive in the transaxle. FD II @ 8.15 producing a 3.54 final drive v the CVT in the FD I @ 6.12 producing a 2.73 final drive. The is no Hi/Lo transfer case in either one, that's the gears that you live with.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
kwc
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder
The Compass is a more car-like vehicle. I doubt it could handle anything more than a gravel road. And the XJ was a unibody vehicle also.
yes, the Compass is "more car-like". But I have taken my Compass on backcountry roads (gravel, dirt), and some "roads" (I use that term loosely) to reach some out of the way trailheads in the Adirondacks, and my Compass has done just fine.

And it's been pretty good in the snow as well ... the 2007 Valentine's Day storm dumped 36" of snow here and I didn't have any problems getting around in it, and that was pretty impressive to me.

The Compass' gas mileage has impressed me as well. Certainly far better than what I was getting with my '04 Wrangler.

My Compass is a well-built vehicle, and that's one of the reasons I bought it. No, it's not a Wrangler, nor is it a Cherokee. It's not supposed to be.
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
madrabbitt

i thought roof height to bottom of body was a good couple inches more on the patriot then the compass.

i duno where i got my numbers though

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The MK's are derived from a modified Caliber PM chassis which means that they are not Calibers anymore, at least no more so than a CJ is an MB.
Has anyone mentioned that the Compass/Patriot/Caliber(/Lancer) platform is a Mitsubishi platform? Even if the fact that these new "Jeeps" are nothing more than rebadged and slightly modified Dodge Caliber cars isn't enough to shock people, how about the fact that 'The American Legend' is building cars using Japanese platforms?

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
Has anyone mentioned that the Compass/Patriot/Caliber(/Lancer) platform is a Mitsubishi platform? Even if the fact that these new "Jeeps" are nothing more than rebadged and slightly modified Dodge Caliber cars isn't enough to shock people, how about the fact that 'The American Legend' is building cars using Japanese platforms?
They both are classified as "crossovers" which by industries definition means it's based on a "car chassis". No surprise to me. Jeep needed to fill the void in it's line up.

Unread 12-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #22
Tormac

Quote:
That the compass/patriot are based on a lancer platform does not seem like a bad thing to me. I'd say that the only car with more of a performance rally heritage than a Subie Impreza STI that is avalible here in the states is a Mitsu Lancer Evo.

The compass/patriot are not ment to be replacements for wranglers, but "cutes". As such they look like nice platforms to me.
Tormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 11:19 AM   #23
1999WJMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Jeepster
well, actually the Patriot/Compass MK platform is a 'uni-body' constructed vehicle without a 'frame' like the XJ or any of the Wranglers. the MK is more similar to the Grand Cherokee and Liberty in construction. is that correct, Gramps?

Question: so if a WJ, KJ and MK Patriot can be "Trail Rated", why not the Compass?
You do know the WJ has solid axels right? Its no where near a KJ or MK

HERS - 1996 XJ Sport 4.0 HO. Stock. Purple like her...uh...soul.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#37
1999WJMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #24
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Jeep needed to fill the void in it's line up.
Midsize Jeep? Check.
Compact Jeep? Nope.
Topless/Doorless Jeep? Check.

The only void I see here is the one left by the XJ not being properly replaced. The MKs don't fill a 'void', they just added something Jeep was never supposed to have in the first place - cars.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #25
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

They look more like an Xterra than an XJ.

XJs:

Xterra:

Patriot:

Unread 12-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #26
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Midsize Jeep? Check.
Compact Jeep? Nope.
Topless/Doorless Jeep? Check.

The only void I see here is the one left by the XJ not being properly replaced. The MKs don't fill a 'void', they just added something Jeep was never supposed to have in the first place - cars.

Like the 1948 2 wheel drive Jeepster! Or the original 2 wheel drive Willys "Jeep" station wagon. Four wheel drive didn't showed up until 1949. The Willys wagon was actually mounted on the same 104 inch wheelbase as the prewar Willys Americar but the chassis was modified. In fact, in 1940 Bantam showed the Army a reconnaissance car they had developed from their stock Bantam Roadster. This may be responsible for Bantam getting involved with the bid from the Army for what would later become the first jeep. Lot's of car history in something that was never supposed to have cars.
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
Jeepster55

Quote:
The MKs don't fill a 'void', they just added something Jeep was never supposed to have in the first place - cars.
i'm sorry, just where is that 'written'?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #28
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ2Timer
Like the 1948 2 wheel drive Jeepster! Or the original 2 wheel drive Willys "Jeep" station wagon. Four wheel drive didn't showed up until 1949. The Willys wagon was actually mounted on the same 104 inch wheelbase as the prewar Willys Americar but the chassis was modified. In fact, in 1940 Bantam showed the Army a reconnaissance car they had developed from their stock Bantam Roadster. This may be responsible for Bantam getting involved with the bid from the Army for what would later become the first jeep. Lot's of car history in something that was never supposed to have cars.

well said, well spoken!!

(is this padding? i hope not....showing agreement with a fellow member)
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 03:11 AM   #29
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
My Compass is a well-built vehicle, and that's one of the reasons I bought it. No, it's not a Wrangler, nor is it a Cherokee. It's not supposed to be.
Its also not really a Jeep if its a crossover. Jeeps are SUVs and Crossovers are Feeps (Faux Jeep).
[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Black Jeep Club member #127[/FONT][/B]
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #30
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If it has a Jeep name plate, it's a Jeep.

There are some out there that don't care to hear the Jeep being called an SUV and others that can't stand the "classic" Jeep styling. The Patriot fills the "classic" looks and the Compass is there for those that don't. If it wasn't marketable they wouldn't have built it. Voids in the line up are determined by where the Corp can make money from a new undertaking. The MK's being built from a PM platform with a plant, tooling and workforce already in operation was a good investment to keep costs down and push profits up, that's how companies stay in business.

The Compass being competitive in the Rally circuits is yet to be seen but not out of the realm of possibilities.

Speaking of cars, I still wish I had my '41 Willy's coupe. I need help on something: what year of Wrangler/CJ (not sure which) did they make the "Willy's" package?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.