Patriot??? or cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Patriot??? or cherokee

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
James750
1990 MJ Comanche 

Patriot??? or cherokee

idk, it might just be me but all the cars that jeep has been coming out with recently (exc. wrangler) seem to be looking more and more like a cherokee. the new Patriot looks even more like the xj cherokee. Is Jeep trying to bring back the cherokee.

James750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

CLASSIC Jeep styling. The Libby replaced the Cherokee.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
cmotsvt

They shouldnt have killed the XJ in the first place.
4.0/AW4/solid axles, that was a nice vehicle. I loved having the 242 full time too. It was comfortable but not huge and hard to maneuver. Only thing could have been improved was the gas mileage.
I sometimes regret selling that jeep.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Eagle Kammback

They never should've stopped making the XJ Cherokee
Eagle Kammback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

cherokee,
or wrangler, or GC, or CJ, or MJ or fullsize, but not the patriot

independant suspension, plastic, harder to work on, harder to lift, less capable off road AND $$$$

only thing good about it is gas mileage, onroad manner- and if you wanted that get a subaru
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
James750
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
CLASSIC Jeep styling. The Libby replaced the Cherokee.
yeah i know, but it seems that all the new jeeps are looking more and more like a cherokee. i think the patriot is built on a xj chassis. please correct me if im wrong.
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
James750
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotsvt
They shouldnt have killed the XJ in the first place.
4.0/AW4/solid axles, that was a nice vehicle. I loved having the 242 full time too. It was comfortable but not huge and hard to maneuver. Only thing could have been improved was the gas mileage.
I sometimes regret selling that jeep.
I agree, i wish i had the np242 im my mj, but i only have the np232. but 2 of my xjs have full time 242 and my sisters xj has the 232. I have no idea why they stopped making the xj. if theyre bringing it back i wont be sold on it until they bring back the 4.0.
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by James750
yeah i know, but it seems that all the new jeeps are looking more and more like a cherokee. i think the patriot is built on a xj chassis. please correct me if im wrong.

well, actually the Patriot/Compass MK platform is a 'uni-body' constructed vehicle without a 'frame' like the XJ or any of the Wranglers. the MK is more similar to the Grand Cherokee and Liberty in construction. is that correct, Gramps?

Question: so if a WJ, KJ and MK Patriot can be "Trail Rated", why not the Compass?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Jeepster
well, actually the Patriot/Compass MK platform is a 'uni-body' constructed vehicle without a 'frame' like the XJ or any of the Wranglers. the MK is more similar to the Grand Cherokee and Liberty in construction. is that correct, Gramps?

Question: so if a WJ, KJ and MK Patriot can be "Trail Rated", why not the Compass?
The Compass is a more car-like vehicle. I doubt it could handle anything more than a gravel road. And the XJ was a unibody vehicle also.
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Ubie
Wha?

Quote:
well, actually the Patriot/Compass MK platform is a 'uni-body' constructed vehicle without a 'frame' like the XJ or any of the Wranglers.

The XJ is unibody, the YJ/TJ are not. Main differences from the XJ and the MK are (to me): Solid axles (XJ), rubber band transmission (MK) and 4.0l Inline Six (boo ya! XJ)

As for why the Patriot is Trail Rated and not the Compass i think it has something to do with ground clearance?
Stock Jeep Club #26

--------------------
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder
The Compass is a more car-like vehicle. I doubt it could handle anything more than a gravel road. And the XJ was a unibody vehicle also.

good point on the XJ....yes, it was a unibody vehicle. as for the Compass, why did you not mention the Patriot, since the powertrain (unless equipted with FDII), suspension and the like are IDENTICAL? if you have to rely on looks to get you out of a tough spot (Patriots looks over Compass), then there would be alot of disappointed CJ, TJ and JK owners. some of their vehicles look like CRAP! oops, can i say CRAP on this forum? or would **** be better?
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #12
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
good point on the XJ....yes, it was a unibody vehicle. as for the Compass, why did you not mention the Patriot, since the powertrain (unless equipted with FDII), suspension and the like are IDENTICAL? if you have to rely on looks to get you out of a tough spot (Patriots looks over Compass), then there would be alot of disappointed CJ, TJ and JK owners. some of their vehicles look like CRAP! oops, can i say CRAP on this forum? or would **** be better?
The Patriot and Compass are basically the same vehicle, but the Patriot has a little more ground clearance and a two-speed transfer case. A little bit better, but not much. I wouldn't take either off road.
Unread 12-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Jeepster55

Quote:
The Patriot and Compass are basically the same vehicle, but the Patriot has a little more ground clearance and a two-speed transfer case. A little bit better, but not much. I wouldn't take either off road.

REALLY? "jeep.com" stats show that the Compass Sport 4X4 "D" Pkg has a ground clearance of 8.1" and the Patriot Sport 4X4 "D" Pkg has 8.0". where I went to school, 8.1 >8.0

as for the transfer case difference, like i said, only the Patriots with the Freedom Drive II option have the 'crawl ratio' feature. but like you said, i wouldn't take either off-road, but that's not why i bought it. i bought it because I LIKE IT!
Unread 12-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
REALLY? "jeep.com" stats show that the Compass Sport 4X4 "D" Pkg has a ground clearance of 8.1" and the Patriot Sport 4X4 "D" Pkg has 8.0". where I went to school, 8.1 >8.0
Wasn't aware of that. They always look so much lower than that.
Unread 12-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #15
Jeepster55

Quote:
Wasn't aware of that. They always look so much lower than that.

YEA, i was surprised too. lower roof line.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.