Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Painting Jeep

537 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  NaeKid 
#1 ·
How many out there have painted their Jeep? My jeep is in bad need of a paint job, previous owner did a crappy one and paint is peeling off. I am thinking about doing it myself.

Any comments or suggestions about doing this?

I have a compressor and will by a spray gun, will habg plastic in my carport to create a spray booth.

#2 ·
i painted my XJ as a project in college (body shop class) do you want to rattle-can it or use some good paint (DuPont/PPG/etc.)?

either way, the paint is only as good as what's underneath it, so you should consider sanding it down to the primer, or bare metal. when you build your booth, be sure to wear a respirator while painting, even if using spray cans. solvents in paint do nasty things to you! especially the pro paint.

any questions, ask away! i'll answer them to the best of my knowledge :)

#3 ·
I have a post-painting question. I painted the cargo area floor and even though i covered the most of the front with plastic bags, it still smells. Whats the best way to get rid of the smell of paint?

#4 ·
thuper said:
I have a post-painting question. I painted the cargo area floor and even though i covered the most of the front with plastic bags, it still smells. Whats the best way to get rid of the smell of paint?
Drive around for a couple days with top and doors removed ...

#5 ·
thuper said:
A small dish of ammonia left in the closed Jeep overnight will do the trick, you need to allow it to air out for a 1/2 hour or so after you remove the ammonia, or you could just drive around with the doors and top off as Naekid suggested.

Either works well

HABMAN

#6 ·
Ammonia? That's a new one. Do you think it would work with latex (house) paint? I'm a painter by trade in the summer and sometimes I get complaints about the smell...

#9 ·
Dembones said:
Ammonia? That's a new one. Do you think it would work with latex (house) paint? I'm a painter by trade in the summer and sometimes I get complaints about the smell...
It should, we use to use it to remove the smell of the old undercoating that was used back in the 70's. That stuff was truely nasty, and ammonia would clear it right up.

HABMAN

#11 ·
An easy way to get a 'wheeling' paint job is just to use primer:D not the BEST of looks, but if ya scratch it, just whip out the can and spray away! Looks kinda neat on the NHRA cars too...

#12 ·
thuper said:

Top off? I've got an XJ and I'm not ready to take a Sawzall to my fresh coat of wax.
Ahh .. I was thinking that you had a SWB Jeep ..

In your case .. remove the tail-gate, remove the doors and have some fun! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.