Painting a glass tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Painting a glass tub

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2002, 05:26 PM   #1
mozz

Painting a glass tub

What does it take to repair a couple of holes a fiberglass tub? A body shop gave me an estimate of about $3,500 for a complete repair and paint job a while ago but its not worth it to me. (He told me the gel coat has to be sanded off) The guy I bought it from put the original spare tire mount on and it pulled out so I have a few about one-inch holes in the fiberglass. The rest of the body is in pretty good condition and buffs up to a nice shine. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Hedman Fenderwell headers
4WD Fiberglass Body
4" lift W/ 35" BF Goodrich AT
Pioneer CD player W/ Pioneer 200 watt amp 10 in. sub speaker box Shoved behind rear seat for now (Till I can make a permanent box)
mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:05 PM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

jees, you can get a new body from quadratec for less than that! I think they had whole new bodies for around $1,500
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

You definitely get a new tub for between 1200 and 1500.

However, do the repair yourself, it's very easy. Use some plywood, resin, and glass cloth, and make your own repair, even if you have to use some thru-bolts to bolt some strengthening blocks to the backs of the holes (just use stainless and it will look good). [Wink]

And, you could repaint your whole tub easily as well. Best bet for painting a fiberglass tub is to use a "Flex Additive" in your paint, to allow your paint to move when the fiberglass flexes. It'll minimize stress cracks in the paint.

Good Luck, and tell the body shop to pound sand at that price.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2002, 02:35 PM   #4
mozz

Would it be hard to match the gel coat with a repair?
Hedman Fenderwell headers
4WD Fiberglass Body
4" lift W/ 35" BF Goodrich AT
Pioneer CD player W/ Pioneer 200 watt amp 10 in. sub speaker box Shoved behind rear seat for now (Till I can make a permanent box)
mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 05:43 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

Nah, that's what sandpaper is for [Wink] Once you get your support blocks in place and anchored behind the holes (by the way, encase your support blocks in resin/cloth, wrap them to seal them), then you just build up the exterior area with resin (and some cloth if the area is deep), then sand it down (block sand it) to match the surrounding area.

I would recommend 3/4" plywood (layer it if you need to) for the support blocks, it would be dimensionally stronger than a block of regular wood.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.