Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Painting fender flares

680 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  19OlllllllO41 
#1 ·
Ok, i did a searce for this and came up with nothing.

I want to get some TJ flares for my beast, but want to paint them green to match the rest of the jeep. Anyone know of the best way to do this with out bringing them to a body shop and paying some $ for it. I have some of the factory color and some clear coat in rattle cans, but I am afraid that it will just crack and peel off.

Any ideas, as I'm sure this has been done before.

Thanks.

Mike

#4 ·
Krylon Fusion worked wonders for me. No need to prime. Just do a couple good swabs with Lacqer (sp?) Thinner. HTH

#5 ·
be sure to clean the plastic really well. when youre painting stuff like that, even fingerprints can have a tendency to show up 1 or 2 years down the road as a bubble. :)
sand em up real good and smooth to give the paint a nice surface to adhere to and prime them with a primer made especially for plastic. i believe Krylon makes a good one if you want a rattle can... then just paint as desired with a good and flexible paint. :) its important for the paint to be able to flex and stretch with the plastic as it heats, cools, and hits the occasional tree. there is a company that makes custom colors just for plastics and can match just about any paint.. but i forgot the name of the company. :drool:

remember, imperfections on the item youre painting will get bigger after you paint.

#8 ·
xcmbike said:
I have been thinking about painting mine with bed liner. I think it would look kinda cool. Or atleast a flat black.
might want to stay away from that. its not flexible enough for plastics and will flake off. :)

#9 ·
most important thing is the primer. use a SELF ETCHING primer that is ok on plastics. i got a can of it at murrays, its made by duplicolor i think. then use the matching duplicolor paint of your jeeps color. a few good coats of primer and paint and you will be fine. i did some flexible plastic stuff with that combo and it has help up for years, and looks like the day i painted it. :thumbsup:

oh and ofcourse prep the surface well, make sure theres no oil, grease or mud on the flairs. might wanna hit it with a very very fine sand paper just to get the shine off as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.