Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

pa laws

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Ned97sahara 
#1 ·
does anyone know if its illegal to drive with the doors off in Pennsylvania?

#3 ·
I haven't had any probs in Pittsburgh...neither have most of the jeepers I know. You prob get haggled by highway patrol more than anyone. I'm "pretty" sure you need at least 2 mirrors....rearview and either one of the sideviews. I got all 3 just in case. When I drove without any mirrors, I got passed by at least 6 cops....didn't say anything......

#7 ·
I have been pulled over once in PA for having my tires out past my fenders, and once for not having side mirrors...both times in was a chester county police officer...and both time I said..."Ohhh...I didn't realize the laws were different in PA than MD" :D

And both times I didn't get a ticket

Off course I do have MD plates, but I would imagine you could try the same thing if you have DE plates. It always helps that I obey the speed limits religiously when the doors are off because with the big jeep it gets looks, add (or subract) no doors, and it gets looked at more often....by people in uniform.

On the flip side....my wife (who's jeep it is) has never been pulled over for tires or mirrors. She has on the other hand been written up for 64 in a 55 after getting clocked with forward facing and driving the other way MD radar going 78 MPH :eek: on route 40 at 2 am....she is still mad...she swears she was doing the speed limit :rolleyes:

#8 ·
It is illegal to drive with your doors off in pa. I've been pulled over for it already with the relocated mirrors. Most of the time I don't have problems but it's one of those laws that an officer will nail you with if he wants to be a prick..

#9 ·
fgags said:
It is illegal to drive with your doors off in pa. I've been pulled over for it already with the relocated mirrors. Most of the time I don't have problems but it's one of those laws that an officer will nail you with if he wants to be a prick..
i don tknow if its illegal now.............i know alot of guys in York that drive with their doors off........

#10 ·
We've always driven with the doors off and it never bothers any cops around us.

#11 ·
It may be one of those things that "technically" can get you a ticket but... My cousin's husband is a local officer near Reading and he once told me that many things will only get you a ticket if you act like a jerk if stopped. Play ignorant and ask for a chance to fix it. Just like having anything hanging from your rearview is tecnically illegal he only rights people up for that on a stop if they argue with him or pull a big attitiude.

#13 ·
here is my gripe with the doors off subject. I haven't been stopped yet however have drove by cops going the other way they do a double take and if they weren't going the other way I am sure they would have stopped me. How is it different then a Motorcycle I mean come on do they have doors ..NO are they more dangerous ...in my opinion YES....If I get pulled over for no doors I would just play stupid and say I thought it was ok...

My $.02

Cya !!

#14 ·
From what I have heard (don't know if it is true) if you have a TJ you can't take your doors off cause they have a bolt that holds them on so it is considered a permanent piece of the vehicle. I don't think that many cops would pull you over for it as long as you have your seat belt on. I will ask some local cops if they know when I see them. I Know alot of them around here my preveious car was a 1970 stang.

#15 ·
well ned let me clear that up for you. i have a 2003 sport and i have taken the doors of a few times now. as a matter of fact i just put them back on b/c its going to rain for the next day and a half. all i used to take them off was a adjustable wrench and a rag. i used to rag so i don't scratch the paint. i love it with the doors off!!!

#16 ·
Yes you can take the doors off with a wrench but what I was saying is that the cops can consider it a perminent fixture because it is held on my a nut. I can take the doors off of my 1970 mustang with a socket but I can't drive around with it like that. I don't even keep the nuts on my doors(on the jeep) so that I can take them off whenever I want. But I do carry the two piece soft doors with me so if I did get pulled over for it I can put a door back on in front of the cop. Thats what I was trying to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.