oxygen sensor and its purpose?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > oxygen sensor and its purpose??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-10-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
sturgman

oxygen sensor and its purpose??

Hey guys, my check engine light has been on recently and after looking around i found that the wires were ripped apart.To buy one new will cost me $100 canadian dollars.What does the sensor do and is it necessary to replace it? Or should i just pull the bulb out from the dash?Thanks

sturgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
AJ

the oxygen sensor provides your obc with a measurement of the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust. The obc uses that info regulate the amount of fuel being injected into your engine at any given time to keep performance and fuel economey in a close to optimal range. The engine needs it and you should replace it.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #3
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Was it running good? Your jeep will run like crap if thats broken or needs replacing. It will drop down to a low idle, revv up, drop down, rev up.... etc. I just replaced mine Christmas after breaking mine off and scaring the crap out of me. You should look forward to added gas milage with a new one also I broke it off right where it meets up with the exhaust b4 the cat. A new one cost me $39.99 at Napa
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
sturgman

Atropine?? Are you saying you got a sensor at napa for 40$ canadian dollars? They told me there it was one hundred and some change$120 at the dealer.....
sturgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
JeeperJay

Dealers are nuts. Most dealer parts will cost you close to twice the norm. Just about any autoparts store will have what you need, at a fraction of the cost. From what I remember I paid about $35 US for my o2 sensor.
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:57 AM   #6
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

$40 dollars american. I have no idea what the exchange rate is...
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2002, 02:48 PM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

roughly 1:1.6 US:Ca

So $40 USD is roughly $64 CAD
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen sensor , function

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.