OT - has anybody had a Chevy Blazer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > OT - has anybody had a Chevy Blazer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
NJJeeper

OT - has anybody had a Chevy Blazer

My daughter totalled the Cherokee we gave her. Since then she has been driving a POS Ford Thunderbird. She does not like driving something this small and really misses the Cherokee. Right now we can't find one in her price range. But somebody has offered her an '89 Blazer for a really good price. Does anybody have any experience with these. She could keep it, or sell it in the summer after she has a bit more savings.
This is mainly for her to get to and from college. Low mileage 4wd runs great.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
NJJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #2
blupupher

Is it a S-10 Blazer or a K5 Full size?
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
NJJeeper

It is the smaller two door so I'm assuming that it is the S-10. But I have had S10 pickups and it is bigger then the S-10 pick up.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
NJJeeper

according to a blazer site S-10's never have 4wd and this definitely does. However, I have been in the big full sized blazers and this isn't one of those.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 02-21-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am an S-10 owner - and the 1989 models, if they have the 4.3L engine is an awesome vehicle to own. Great power to weight, good towing ability, easy to work on and such.

I would say if the price is right, go for it!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 10:30 PM   #6
NJJeeper

$1500. Interior is in perfect shape, everything is power and works, including the air. Exterior is in very good shape except some rust on the rear quarter panel. I do want to look underneath and see if this is any worst. 4wd works very well. 75,000 miles on it and original owner. I meant to check to see if there is a 6 digit odometer in there so that I can feel fairly sure that the man is truthful and there are not 175,000 miles on it. The biggest problem my daughter might have with this is with her dad stealing it to take on the beach and fish. It is funny. My daughter is the only one in her circle who would rather have a big beefy truck then a sporty car.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 02-22-2003, 03:04 AM   #7
thunderkiss_66

The "no 4wd on S-10's" thing is B/S. My friend had one and it was great. No problems until it blew a head gasket, but that was well after 200,000 miles. And yes it was 4wd. We proved that many times .$1500 bucks is not a bad price either. Go for it! Just too bad its not a Jeep.....
Daily Driver

1943 Willys MB
Multi Color Rust/White/Blue/Black/Olive
No Top
[b]STILL RUNS!![/b]

[b][color=darkred]BROWN[/color] JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1[/b]

"Does dirt count as an accessory?"

Last edited by thunderkiss_66; 02-22-2003 at 03:08 AM..
thunderkiss_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 06:33 AM   #8
STUCKINMUD
2000 WJ 

s-10 blazer

I had an 1987 s-10 blazer with the 2.8l v-6. It was my first vehicle out of high school. I bought it with 189000 miles on it. Had to replace a cooling pipe on top of motor for inspection. other that a good buff and wax, she was great. I put 235/75/r15 all the way around and went 4-wheeling in western maryland. Slide off the rd into a ditch during one snow storm, threw it in 4-low and went thru a corn field with no prob. (had 6 inches of snow on ground) i could not kill the thing (believe me i tried) wish i still had it
STUCKINMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 06:49 AM   #9
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

The S10 blazers definatly did have 4wd my friend has three of
them ..But back to topic
4.3= awesome motor
4wd= Cool ride
$1500 = Great price
How can you go wrong.
And if some thing does go wrong you can tell yourself
" What the hell it only cost $1500.."
Unread 02-22-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

These little rigs arn't bad, however you should be aware of some shortcomings. The 2.8 V6 is not a good motor. They are known for loosing the intake gasket around the coolant crossover and dumping antifreeze into the crancase. I have personaly seen four of these motors, and the repair costs are usualy more than the car is worth. Also, cluch replacement requires the jacking of the cab to clear the bellhousing when removing. While this job can be done, it is a major hassle. I'm not saying that they are junk(2.8 aside), just there some maintance issues that you should know about. As with any rig, if it has been taken care of and properly maintained, it will last for ever. On a side note, if you get it, be aware that the front axle is activated by a vacuum canister behind the battery. If the front end stops engaging, check to make sure the vacuum line hasen't fallen off. Had a number of folks come into the shop after replacing the battery because the 4X4 wouldn't engage.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #11
NJJeeper

JeepDaddy, regarding that gasket. What we are doing is purchasing the vehicle, with a newly rebuilt motor, and having it installed. Total cost for all will be $1500. If this gasket is changed at the time of the motor install would this no longer be an issue?
And it is an automatic, no clutch.

Red Jeep Club Member #9
Unread 02-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #12
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The only problem I had with changing things on my 2.8L S-10 was my starter. Two ways to change it - lift the engine or pull a cross-member .. I choose pullin' the cross member, and the whole job took about 6hr.

Changing my clutch and master-slave cyl's was a much easier job .. pull drive-shafts, pull T-case, pull tranny - replace and put back together .. had the help of a friend (much easier wranglin' things into place that way) ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 08:57 PM   #13
Smurfe

I had a 76 K-5 Was a great vehicle, but a gas guzzler

Smurfe

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.