Oregon vs Colorado - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Oregon vs Colorado

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
JeepEpoch

Oregon vs Colorado

Ive been thinking of relocating...need a change of pace and scenery. I think i would like to move to either one of these states based on my activities, not necessarily jeep wheeling related but that is a factor...i dont really have any special job talents, more of a jack of all trades kinda person so im good with any mid range jobs (between mcdonalds and corporate executive lol).

Basically just looking for advise from people on what cities to start looking into. Ive been staring at maps and reading online but theres no real first hand experience. If anyone from either state would like to weigh in id be most appreciated. Thanks

JeepEpoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I hear Oregon is a lot nicer.
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Oregon for certain, unless you are into dope.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Bush307
2012 JK Wrangler 

Been to both a LOT and my vote is Colorado!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Bush307
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree!

Unread 05-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
KHoff90

What everyone else said!

PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

CO: Never been there for more than 30 minutes.

OR: I've been here about 8 months now. Portland itself is full of the bike riding hippie and hipster types, the show Portlandia might as well be a documentary, Salem, Eugene, and the Portland Metro Area are more "normal". One Nice thing about Portland is the microbrews, seems like nearly every bar has their own, some are pretty good. Outside of the larger cities there is a ton of small rural communities with very traditional American ways of life, hunting, fishing, farming, logging, and their supporting industries. The people for the most part are very spiritual, lots of non-denominational churches, lots of very small churches. There are lots of guns and lots of places to shoot at, even at ridiculously long ranges if you don't mind driving out to the national forests and BLM lands. Lots of places to go off hiking and enjoy nature and all that, the off-road jeeping thing isn't as plentiful in many areas of the state, most of the state is BLM or NF land so its numbered roads only, there are a few exceptions to this. A good number of people claim to bigfoots existence, or claim to have seen/heard it/him/her or know someone who has.

It rains a lot, not like torrential downpours like in the south but a pissy misty rain all day long for days on end. I forgot what the sun looked like most of the winter.

For better of worse min. wage is second highest in the nation. The state government doesn't seem to have many issues that I'm aware of. The state and the people of it are very proud of the state, stuff is touted as "made in Oregon" or "local" all the time (no one was ever proud of anything FL made other than orange juice and news headlines). Also if you don't know what gluten is; you will after moving here, gluten free food stuffs is a big thing, same thing with organic foods. Homeschooling is also a big thing up here, it produces some very odd kids sometimes. There are a good mix of Hispanics and Russians/Eastern Europeans in the larger population centers, the smaller communities are mostly white with some Hispanics. Get used to not being allowed to pump your own gas, there is a "professional" who mans the pumps and does it for you, its nice in bad weather, but really slows the whole process down the rest of the time. Meth and Pot are the drugs of choice around here, the Methheads are mostly referred to as tweakers and do the usual stupid things they do. Some towns have reputations for being worse than others, Estacada (just up the road from me) for example is known locally for its drug users and "white-trash" people (this probably only applies to <5% of the towns population, but the whole place still gets the label, its really not that bad).
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Oregon sucks!
Being three hours from anything I would possibly want to do (ski, dunes, hunting, fishing, high desert, white water rafting, lakes, Oregon Ducks games, etc) is a real burden. Just the idea of having to live through four actual seasons a year can be confusing to the average person. And what is up with all those great views? I'm telling you, stay in whatever liberal, dirty city your in and enjoy all it has to offer, 'cause Oregon certainly isn't the place for you.
Love Gov Tom McCall.......
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
JeepEpoch

All good points so far especially @chriskeenan you sound like a travel agent anyone on where to start in Colorado? Ive been leaning towards there (relax im not such bad neighbor
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Eastern border - think near the Kansas or Nebraska borders
Unread 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
JeepEpoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Eastern border - think near the Kansas or Nebraska borders
After looking at a map i get the feeling you are messing with me cuz it doesnt look like anythings out there lol. Granted that would be ideal if i could plop a house down but not quite yet. Looks like one of the suburbs of Denver might be the best place to start and then just learn the area as i go.
Unread 05-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Bush307
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ridgeway, Telluride, Ouray and that area is nice in Colorado.

Unread 05-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
303_XJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Montbello.

In all honesty, hit up Castle Rock. Or if you're thinking Denver area, stay west of I-25.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.