Oil filter study...Fram=bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Oil filter study...Fram=bad

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 02-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
Roodki
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Oil filter study...Fram=bad

I found this link on NAXJA and I though I'd share it with you. Fram oil filters got a really bad rating.
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

Fram Extra Guard
Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

I'm glad I found this. I used to buy fram, because they are sold just about everywhere, but now I think I'll use either NAPA's or a Purlator. Also, I recently learned you can put a filter for a Ford 5.0 V8 on jeep's 4.0. You need to add a half quart or so more oil though.

Unread 02-28-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
RCman

I run K&N Performance Gold Oil filters. They are a little bit more money, but you would not believe how much better they filter until you try them. Even after 1500 miles or so the oil still looks like I poured it from the bottle. And around 3000-3500, the oil is clean enough were I don't really need to change it (I do anyway, just a ritual I have to change it every 3K or so although with these filters I could probably get away with 5000 miles easy without a change). I was using Mobil 1 filters, until I tried the K&Ns. They are not cheap, but if you shop right you can buy them online for around $8-9 shipped. I will never use any other filter again; these K&Ns really work!
Unread 03-01-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
Tri_X_Troll
1986 MJ Comanche 

$8-9. Thats about what I pay for oil changes at the stealership. I seem to get these coupons for $12.00 oil changes in the mail all the time. Can't beat it, the mopar oil filter seems to hold up okay.
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
wyldejackyl

I use M1 filters too..I'll have to try the K&N next time> I just changed my oil saturday.
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You're supposed to change the oil now?
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
thenewkid

whoops! i have a fram on mine right now! that sux, guess ill not be gettin my filters from wallyworld anymore.

Redneck jeeper #5
thenewkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
RCman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri_X_Troll
$8-9. Thats about what I pay for oil changes at the stealership. I seem to get these coupons for $12.00 oil changes in the mail all the time. Can't beat it, the mopar oil filter seems to hold up okay.
I'd rather change my own oil, then I know it has been done right... not some Jiffy Lube job (No offense if anyone here works at a Jiffy Lube). Of coarse the dealerships probably do change the oil completely. However Mopar filters are made by Fram right? At least thatís what I've always thought.
Unread 03-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
JeepXJ00

Napa Gold is among the best. Cost me $4.
JeepXJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCman
I'd rather change my own oil, then I know it has been done right... not some Jiffy Lube job (No offense if anyone here works at a Jiffy Lube). Of coarse the dealerships probably do change the oil completely. However Mopar filters are made by Fram right? At least thatís what I've always thought.
I had a friend who used to work at a Rapid Lube outlet where they had one guy on top and one guy in the pit to drain the oil. He said one day he was checking the fluids from above and heard "oh *****" from his co-worker below followed by a loud hissing sound. It seems that on this particular car, he couldn't reach the oil filter, so he decided to use an exacto knife to cut away at the plastic cover that was blocking his access. While doing so, the knife slipped and he put it into the tire!
Why was he cutting at something with an exacto knife? We're still not sure.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
tehpwnt

I've been a FRAM user for as long as I've owned my Grand Cherokee and I haven't had any problems with them. However, when I run out of FRAM filters (I have one or two left), I plan on switching to K&N oil filters. I'm really strict about changing my oil and I do it at 3,000 mile intervals. From what I've heard about the K&N oil filters they're very high quality. I definately stand behind K&N products because my FIPK is great and their air filters are also very nice.
Hypertech 93 Octane Tuning
Rancho 2" Coil Spring Lift System
ProComp ES3000 Shocks
ProComp ES2000 Steering Stabilizer
Daystar Front/Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Optima Yellow Top Battery
American Racing Chrome Pythons (15x8)
BFG All Terrain T/As 235/75/15
Sylvania SilverStar Headlamps/Foglamps --- TRADED!

'03 Ford SVT Focus <----The new ride
tehpwnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #11
Hoss X
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCman
Mopar filters are Purolator. I found out after my first oil change. I used a Purolator at 3000 miles. Then went to the dealership and bought 2 Mopar filters @$8.00 each. After comparing the two at the 6000 mile change, The only difference was the paint and lables on the outside of the can....and Purolators are $2.99 at most auto parts stores.
Unread 03-01-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
saminwy

hmm. i've got 156k on my yj, at least 59k of which are on fram filters. my wifes blazer has 151k, all of which other than the original were frams. my 3000-3500 mile oil changes i always drain really new looking oil from the crankcase(enough that in both of them its always hard to read the dipstick-never darkens enough to be easy to read.) sorry, i'm from the "if it aint broke " school of thought. i'll continue to run frams.
saminwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
90lerado

i use pure one or puralator. from what ive read about k&n they dont filter the oil as good cause they are a racing filter and maximize the flow more then they filter (kinda like there air filters) when i drained my oil in my jeep after running 8k miles on a pure one filter (i ran through mud and everything) it was like new. i personally never had a problem with fram but id rather not find out.

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #14
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

used fram for a long time. oil always looks black when i change it. sucks! a new parts store opened up and I'll try a K&N next time. I'll post up what happens.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.