Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Oh my lord... (New people)

7K views 95 replies 38 participants last post by  tyvanwie 
#1 ·
Really..

How come new peeps buy a jeep, then suddenly think they need a 6+inch lift?

Let me give you a hint.. You cant buy a cheap lift like, (lets just say) RC and some 35's, and expect to wheel it.

I just don't get it no mores. :(

#4 ·
Oh you wanted a serious answer? Maybe because they are newbies and don't know much better? If you look at the full size trucks forums, most of those guys want huge lifts & tires so perhaps that is why.

To each their own, but it's up to more experienced members to teach and let the student make a decision they think is best for their rig.

#7 ·
Yup, this used to be a classy place.
Then, around June 2008, there was a sudden and unexplainable downturn in the forum's collective IQ and post quality. :dunno:

I don't care where you sent it from.

#52 ·
Nothing, I just poo'd
you mad bro?
Nope, But I am sure you would be if Keith and the mods really did what they said they would.
Being a newbie I'm confused, I thought the overarching philosophy here was "built not bought".
... Really?

People say what is the cheapest way, but right way to lift and put 35's or bigger on.. There is no such thing as cheap and right.. Its expensive and right. They would know that if they did a 30 second search.
I disagree, I think the downturn started in January 2008. The collective IQ of the forum plummeted because of one member, that we won't name, joining.

But you guys have to realize that new members don't understand stuff that the vets here do. We all started somewhere and had a dumb question or two along the way.
:eek: Dick
Take em off and fab up some wooden body lifts

Like this guy (but without the boat on the frame):
My lord..
Exactly! No need to "quilt" just yet!
I use to enjoy quilting. Did it while watching opera.
You opened a bomb here red lol

lalalalala
SHH, you might kill a good thing.
Cool story ban??

:laugh:
If only they did care/ban for that. :D
I deleted all my Cool Story images :(

#13 ·
Being a newbie I'm confused, I thought the overarching philosophy here was "built not bought". What is a new person supposed to do, buy it and not do anything, buy it and only lift it an approved amount, wait until they've been a member for X amount of time and then lift??

I think a list of rules would help.:rtft:

(This is idle curiosity on my part, I have no intention of lifting my jeep)

#15 ·
well then your DEFINITELY behind the curve....it only took me 30 !:teehee: LOL !!!

that being said there are quite a few loud mouths and smart ***** around here in the last year or two.

I was a member since 06 but had computer issues and had to re-register in 08.

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
When I joined in 09, the forum was awesome for info, now it's just a bunch of repeated questions. New DW and which tire/lift combo threads everyday. I mean if you sift through all the BS you'll find good info. I'm not one to tell the newb to search off the jump if they have a question, I'll just tell them the answer, but there are some that just troll TJ tech and post in every thread "search and you'll find the answer". But JF is the reason I know anything about Jeeps or working on cars in general, would have never picked up a wrench and worked on my own **** if it wasn't for JF.

Like said above, if I need something answered, there's a few members I'll just shoot a PM to with the question.

#20 ·
I remember a time when the forum was a corkboard and we wrote posts with quills and parchments.

But the main problem (IMHO) is that the basic thought of "Search before you post" has gon COMPLETELY out the window.

I remember on bitcoin forum there was a newb section with a bunch of stickies.

As a new member you could only post in the newb section and could only read the others unless you asked a mod to remove your newbie status.

#27 ·
I didnt bother making a pic. Posting that with a link from lmgtfy.com usually works if they wont search.

Seven years ago, you could make a n00bie post and got all the support in the world. Now, you're lucky if you don't get called out for a banning. I think it's the general downward trend of regard for others. Or it could be because the forum grew some testicles, and its members need to do the same. Just remember: this isn't Pirate.

There was a good mix of helpfulness and criticism from '05'-'07, but after that people are just getting mean. I blame it on the yuppie JKs. ;)
:rofl: Maybe so, people wanting to emulate that environment. But again, several years ago there were fewer posts and fewer members, i just ignore the newb threads if I can. Or if its a quick answer just give em the basic and tell the to search of they want more :dunno:

So they come here to learn, what's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with learning, but there is a difference between reading the FAQ/searching for the answer PRIOR to posting and just starting threads left and right and get pissy when people tell you to read the FAQ/search.

a:"How do I change my oil"
b: "Its pretty simple, run a search or check the write-up in the faq"

a: "WTF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A HELPFUL FORUM WHY CANT YOU JUST TELL ME BLAH BLAH BLAH"

#22 ·
Seven years ago, you could make a n00bie post and got all the support in the world. Now, you're lucky if you don't get called out for a banning. I think it's the general downward trend of regard for others. Or it could be because the forum grew some testicles, and its members need to do the same. Just remember: this isn't Pirate.

There was a good mix of helpfulness and criticism from '05'-'07, but after that people are just getting mean. I blame it on the yuppie JKs. ;)

#24 ·
Let me give you a hint.. You cant buy a cheap lift like, (lets just say) RC and some 35's, and expect to wheel it.
Wrong... I've wheeled hard with RC coils and shocks on stock arms for the past few years and had a ton of fun doing so. I've wheeled with Imped (Conner), Bennettj13 (James), and the rest of the Indy crew, and if you ask anyone who has wheeled with them they would tell you that the Indy boys don't mess around. I've learned so much over the past few years which most has been from the forums and write ups, but there's only so much you can understand without getting your tires dirty.

You don't have to have a LCOG mid-arm setup with custom fenders, 37" pitbulls, full body armor, custom cage, and rock jock D60 axle swaps to go wheeling. I've seen guys with bone stock setups take their jeeps out on the trails and have a blast. Most noobs just want to go out to the parks and hit some basic beginner trails, not extreme rock crawling off-camber advanced ****.

When I first started out I was just happy to own a stock jeep and when the time came to wheeling I just wanted some extra mods that could get me out there and back. After some time wheeling, I learned where my limitations were and began planning for something more capable (TnT LA double tri 4-link, JK D44s, bigger tires, ect ect) that would take me farther along down the trails.

I don't mind inexperienced idiotic noobies... hell I use to be one. Who says you have to have a degree in offroading to join this forum anyway?

#26 ·
Really..

How come new peeps buy a jeep, then suddenly think they need a 6+inch lift?

I just don't get it no mores. :(
So they come here to learn, what's wrong with that?

#29 ·
I think it's a two fold problem, newbies post without searching, others hi-jack threads, both of those actions make the search feature more difficult to sift thru. which in turn makes people give up quicker and start a new post.

I frequent a few forums, JF and jeeps are new to me. but this same problem exists on nearly all of them.
I think more people need to learn how to ignore and move past the things that annoy them instead of sitting there and picking on it making a big scene, and in turn making just as much clutter as the person they got annoyed at in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.