Oh my lord... (New people) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Oh my lord... (New people)

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Unread 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I read this forum mostly out of entertainment. If I want to learn something, there's a select few posters I know to look for. With over 100k members, there's bound to be a whole lot of 'stupid'.

Now go take your minivan Jeep and get me a sammich.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the JeepForum app.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I read this forum mostly out of entertainment. If I want to learn something, there's a select few posters I know to look for. With over 100k members, there's bound to be a whole lot of 'stupid'.

Now go take your minivan Jeep and get me a sammich.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the JeepForum app.
Bwa hahahahaha.
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #19
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When I joined in 09, the forum was awesome for info, now it's just a bunch of repeated questions. New DW and which tire/lift combo threads everyday. I mean if you sift through all the BS you'll find good info. I'm not one to tell the newb to search off the jump if they have a question, I'll just tell them the answer, but there are some that just troll TJ tech and post in every thread "search and you'll find the answer". But JF is the reason I know anything about Jeeps or working on cars in general, would have never picked up a wrench and worked on my own **** if it wasn't for JF.

Like said above, if I need something answered, there's a few members I'll just shoot a PM to with the question.
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
KeeptheJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydawg
Yup, this used to be a classy place.
Then, around June 2008, there was a sudden and unexplainable downturn in the forum's collective IQ and post quality.

I don't care where you sent it from.
I remember this forum being different before 2008 as well.
KeeptheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #21
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport
When I joined in 09, the forum was awesome for info, now it's just a bunch of repeated questions.
It hasn't changed, you just don't have anything to learn from threads anymore. When I first joined almost 6 years ago, I was reading almost every thread. Then they gradually got repetitive and uninteresting. The longer you're here, the less it has to offer you, but you have more to offer back. There is ALWAYS something new to learn though. You just don't know it yet.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeptheJeep View Post
I remember this forum being different before 2008 as well.
I remember a time when the forum was a corkboard and we wrote posts with quills and parchments.

But the main problem (IMHO) is that the basic thought of "Search before you post" has gon COMPLETELY out the window.

I remember on bitcoin forum there was a newb section with a bunch of stickies.

As a new member you could only post in the newb section and could only read the others unless you asked a mod to remove your newbie status.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Which is why I edited a pic for use on JF

[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA
But the main problem (IMHO) is that the basic thought of "Search before you post" has gon COMPLETELY out the window.
And the newbs get their feelings hurt & complain when you suggest they search.
And now you have to sift through hundreds of newb posts to find what you're looking for. Which causes most people to just post a new topic, and viola, we have a snowball effect from hell.

*edit* <--another under utilized feature.
I'm saving that pic. Somebody needs to make a "let me Google that for you" for JF.
Quote:
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Seven years ago, you could make a n00bie post and got all the support in the world. Now, you're lucky if you don't get called out for a banning. I think it's the general downward trend of regard for others. Or it could be because the forum grew some testicles, and its members need to do the same. Just remember: this isn't Pirate.

There was a good mix of helpfulness and criticism from '05'-'07, but after that people are just getting mean. I blame it on the yuppie JKs.
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
MutantCheese
1976 CJ5 

<----Newbie here. Post less. Search much.
MutantCheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #27
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZJ View Post
Let me give you a hint.. You cant buy a cheap lift like, (lets just say) RC and some 35's, and expect to wheel it.
Wrong... I've wheeled hard with RC coils and shocks on stock arms for the past few years and had a ton of fun doing so. I've wheeled with Imped (Conner), Bennettj13 (James), and the rest of the Indy crew, and if you ask anyone who has wheeled with them they would tell you that the Indy boys don't mess around. I've learned so much over the past few years which most has been from the forums and write ups, but there's only so much you can understand without getting your tires dirty.

You don't have to have a LCOG mid-arm setup with custom fenders, 37" pitbulls, full body armor, custom cage, and rock jock D60 axle swaps to go wheeling. I've seen guys with bone stock setups take their jeeps out on the trails and have a blast. Most noobs just want to go out to the parks and hit some basic beginner trails, not extreme rock crawling off-camber advanced ****.

When I first started out I was just happy to own a stock jeep and when the time came to wheeling I just wanted some extra mods that could get me out there and back. After some time wheeling, I learned where my limitations were and began planning for something more capable (TnT LA double tri 4-link, JK D44s, bigger tires, ect ect) that would take me farther along down the trails.

I don't mind inexperienced idiotic noobies... hell I use to be one. Who says you have to have a degree in offroading to join this forum anyway?

IndyORV
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It hasn't changed, you just don't have anything to learn from threads anymore. When I first joined almost 6 years ago, I was reading almost every thread. Then they gradually got repetitive and uninteresting. The longer you're here, the less it has to offer you, but you have more to offer back. There is ALWAYS something new to learn though. You just don't know it yet.
Hah, you're probably right. And you're also right on that there is always something new to learn. I just haven't gotten to that phase of my build yet My money tree needs watering.
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #29
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZJ View Post
Really..

How come new peeps buy a jeep, then suddenly think they need a 6+inch lift?

Let me give you a hint.. You cant buy a cheap lift like, (lets just say) RC and some 35's, and expect to wheel it.

I just don't get it no mores.

So they come here to learn, what's wrong with that?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #30
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And the newbs get their feelings hurt & complain when you suggest they search.
And now you have to sift through hundreds of newb posts to find what you're looking for. Which causes most people to just post a new topic, and viola, we have a snowball effect from hell.

*edit* <--another under utilized feature.
I'm saving that pic. Somebody needs to make a "let me Google that for you" for JF.
I didnt bother making a pic. Posting that with a link from lmgtfy.com usually works if they wont search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2U5H View Post
Seven years ago, you could make a n00bie post and got all the support in the world. Now, you're lucky if you don't get called out for a banning. I think it's the general downward trend of regard for others. Or it could be because the forum grew some testicles, and its members need to do the same. Just remember: this isn't Pirate.

There was a good mix of helpfulness and criticism from '05'-'07, but after that people are just getting mean. I blame it on the yuppie JKs.
Maybe so, people wanting to emulate that environment. But again, several years ago there were fewer posts and fewer members, i just ignore the newb threads if I can. Or if its a quick answer just give em the basic and tell the to search of they want more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
So they come here to learn, what's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with learning, but there is a difference between reading the FAQ/searching for the answer PRIOR to posting and just starting threads left and right and get pissy when people tell you to read the FAQ/search.

a:"How do I change my oil"
b: "Its pretty simple, run a search or check the write-up in the faq"

a: "WTF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A HELPFUL FORUM WHY CANT YOU JUST TELL ME BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.