off road cameras - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > off road cameras

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
jcooley7
1985 CJ7 

off road cameras

Ok I thinking of buying a off-road camera for the jeep and my atv to record my journey I been looking at the Vholdr contourHd and the point of view Pov 1.5 moto has anyone used any of these if so what are the pros and cons

jcooley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley7 View Post
Ok I thinking of buying a off-road camera for the jeep and my atv to record my journey I been looking at the Vholdr contourHd and the point of view Pov 1.5 moto has anyone used any of these if so what are the pros and cons
a lot of dezert racers use the Gopro systems, they work real well. There is actually a thread on here somewhere about them. Can't help you with the units you listed, never heard of them.
good luck

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have never used any of the all-in-one units but do have some experience mounting a remote lipstick. Here is a vid I made using a Sony HAD lipstick attached to a Canon HV20.

[YT]TVnFIaNO6t0[/YT]

I did have some friends run the GoPros on a trip last year and they swore by them. A lot easier to use than my set up.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a quick test clip I did the other day with my GoPro HD. It's at 1080p/30 FPS but YouTube kills the quality with their conversion. It also does 720p/60, 720p/30, 960p/30 and 800x480/60. Sorry for all of the wind noise, it's from the ski rack. They actually have a very good reduction system that eliminates wind noise unless you're going 90-100 MPH. The 720p/60 is insanely clear, it looks like you're watching a sports broadcast in HD.

[yt]LF_7F7UYKjM[/yt]
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I purchased a GoPro Wide View last year and it's awesome!

Here's 2 mini videos I made with my GoPro.

[yt]oOVXPi_pf9M[/yt]

[yt]45Q99-uEyz8[/yt]
IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a gopro, it lacks in the sound department, but it more than makes up for it in the quality of video/wide angle view/ and ruggedness.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Verboten
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There are a large number of weekend race car guys using the GoPro HD as well. Expect as noted poorer audio and fairly high consumption of batteries.

On the plus side you can mount the thing anywhere.

I have an SONY HD unit mounted on my roll bar with a 4gb card since trying to record to the hard drive shuts it down with all of the vibration.

Ken
UNCLE CHARLIE 1929 Model A Ford (Grand Champion at the Henry Ford Museum Invitational Show)[/[/B]
2112 Ford Explorer Limited -18 Ft Aluminum Trailer
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Arial Black"]Video of me in my Porsche 928S At Mid Ohio 2008
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i6UmtdKVa8[/url][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
ozntz

IGotADisneyJeep did you use a mount in your videos? It doesn't seem to move around very much.

Blue Jeep Club Member #101
ozntz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.