Obama's Military Experience - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Obama's Military Experience

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #31
GeneralDisarray
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Can someone explain to me why previous military service matters so much for the presidency? For a president, the military is a political tool to meet a selected end. It's not as if the president himself is developing strategy. There's a reason the Secretary of Defense and his office, the Pentagon, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff exist. Just because someone previously served doesn't make them qualified to be Commander-in-Chief -- who's to say they will make the right political choices when deploying the military? Likewise, lack of military experience doesn't mean that a person can't be a good Commander-in-Chief.
I don't know. Maybe you can tell me why being a Doctor is a pre-requisite for being Surgeon General.

GeneralDisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #32
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
Ok so we end up with moron that can point out problems with no idea how to fix them. Oh yeah-thats alot better...
I guess every potential president needs to be an economist then too.

So let's see, every president has to have served (not just served, but been a general), must have been an economist, should have a degree in social policy, must have been an international policy expert, and also must have another degree in about a dozen or so other aspects of the job of president.

What a ludicrous argument. Being in the military does not automatically mean you have the insight or forebearance to be commander in chief, nor does it mean you have any more ability in the other aspects of the presidential position.
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #33
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDisarray View Post
I don't know. Maybe you can tell me why being a Doctor is a pre-requisite for being Surgeon General.
That is one position that does not involve multiple types of decisions that must be made. It's a position solely involved with medical/health issues, not the wide spectrum that the presidency must deal with. Are you equating the position of Surgeon General to the Presidency?
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #34
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
I guess every potential president needs to be an economist then too.

So let's see, every president has to have served (not just served, but been a general), must have been an economist, should have a degree in social policy, must have been an international policy expert, and also must have another degree in about a dozen or so other aspects of the job of president.
They should have an economic background-but a degree is taking it too far. I'm not asking that he has a military science degree.

Quote:
Being in the military does not automatically mean you have the insight or forebearance to be commander in chief, nor does it mean you have any more ability in the other aspects of the presidential position.
I never said this, so don't say my argument is faulted if it isn't mine. I said that it makes him more qualified. To say otherwise is idiocy and naive.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #35
eflores
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you guys make me laugh. 6 years in 63B, if obama is a good candidate for president than mccain and palin should swap spots...not saying palin isnt the right person for the job, maybe could have been a better pick but what are the chances mccain is going to die? better for obama if he gets elected...(the cia and fbi are watching us now).....and the parks ranger argument....grizzly bears and trout don't try to blow **** up and kill for religious hate of America...maybe he's not a spy...neither is obama...come to think of it what has obama done? nothing....kill babies...i know they out lawed that.....doesnt make it right....and it happened...and he supported it till the end. my 2 cents...

Leaky sunroofed XJ member #1
The United States of America July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008 RIP
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #36
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

So how does one person being in the military make them more qualified? Does it give them insight into the daily workings of the military that the person who didn't serve doesn't get to see? Somewhat, but that is a pretty narrow way to look at it. A navy colonel won't know about the workings of the army, air force, etc. throughout the world.

Also, and this may be true too. Someone who served may just be too close to the military to be able to see the problems that involve the military throughout. As in, they can't see the forest for the trees, kind of thing.

"Being more qualified" for what? The Presidency as a whole, or just the "Commander in Chief" aspect of the job? If it is for president, then I disagree, because being commander in chief is just one part of the job, one that should not overwhelm and ignore the other parts of the job that are just as important.
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #37
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

So what is the job description of the POTUS? To uphold the constitution, make sure this nation is defended, and keep congress in check. Which candidate has done the best job of that already? Obama doesn't know what the second ammendment even means, He has no clue how to defend this country. Maybe he could keep congress in check? I don't know. But I KNOW McCain has a great handle on all three.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #38
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Marko, I wasn't arguing about McCain or Obama.

What I am noting here is that, simply because someone has been in the military, it does not mean that they are automatically qualified to be commander in chief, and vice versa, since someone hasn't served, it does not mean that they aren't qualifed either.
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #39
eflores
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
So what is the job description of the POTUS? To uphold the constitution, make sure this nation is defended, and keep congress in check. Which candidate has done the best job of that already? Obama doesn't know what the second ammendment even means, He has no clue how to defend this country. Maybe he could keep congress in check? I don't know. But I KNOW McCain has a great handle on all three.
x2
10char

Leaky sunroofed XJ member #1
The United States of America July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2008 RIP
eflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #40
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What are you trying to say?? He didn't join the military because there was no war.
you're kiddng, right?
he did'nt join b/c he did'nt WANT to join... ever! This quote is just another good example of his ridiculous pandering... I call BS.
I was around then. Class of '73. Missed the draft by 3 months. The Nam war was a huge sore spot for the country, and people wanted it put behind them. When it was over, people put it out of their minds all togeather. Carter was prez, we had been through the so called 'energy crisis', the economy suked, and we had other big/huge probs at that time, and to even remotely say the Nam war was on his mind in 19 freak'n 79 is a joke at best. Just more lame reasoning by 'mr. good speaker'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #41
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Quote:
Marko, I wasn't arguing about McCain or Obama.

What I am noting here is that, simply because someone has been in the military, it does not mean that they are automatically qualified to be commander in chief, and vice versa, since someone hasn't served, it does not mean that they aren't qualifed either.
I know, I wasn't trying to argue either. Just dissecting what the POTUS should do.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #42
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
This should have marked the end of the thread.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #43
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDisarray View Post
Very good point!

And to PM's statement, McCain might not know "exactly" what the Navy, Army, Coast Guard, or any other branch of the service is doing at a given time, but they all work together to protect our nation and he can relate to ANY branch of the service with much intelligence, where globama probably couldn't tell you what a freaking latrine is.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member

Last edited by SpoiledRotten; 09-11-2008 at 06:54 AM..
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #44
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
Very good point!

And to PM's statement, McCain might not know "exactly" what the Navy, Army, Coast Guard, or any other branch of the service is doing at a given time, but they all work together to protect our nation and he can relate to ANY branch of the service with much intelligence, where globama probably couldn't tell you what a freaking latrine is.
You also have to prioritize in today's situation, in my opinion a properly run military is more important to the safety of this country than a properly run forestry service. I would much rather McCain who is strong on defense in control of the military and have him find someone to handle the forestry service. I'm much more concerned about having a properly organized defense department over a properly organized community.

Maybe McCain can appoint Obama to some new position in charge of organizing all of Americas communities... that's a compromise I could live with.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #45
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish View Post
You also have to prioritize in today's situation, in my opinion a properly run military is more important to the safety of this country than a properly run forestry service. I would much rather McCain who is strong on defense in control of the military and have him find someone to handle the forestry service. I'm much more concerned about having a properly organized defense department over a properly organized community.

Maybe McCain can appoint Obama to some new position in charge of organizing all of Americas communities... that's a compromise I could live with.
I agree. GOOD communities take care of themselves. Bad ones will self destruct, and need to be kept out of good ones by allowing the good people to carry guns...
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.