not another deer hitting story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > not another deer hitting story

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
03Wrangler

not another deer hitting story

I left my friends house at 9:30 tonight. I saw 5 deer cross the road as soon as i left his drive way... didn't think anything of it....I drive down his road and see 4 more deer off to the side... i keep going, keeping all my lights on and my "deer lights" that shine into the fields so i can see them....

I get on another road probably 4 miles away... go up a hill, hit the crest, and start descending when i see 3 more deer.... a really nice 10 pointer and a 6 pointer... the 6 ran away into the field, the 10 ran from the side of the road and right in front of me... I slam the brakes on from ~35-40 mph.. and i get to a stop, just tapping the deer....

My front bumper was all dirty and salty... you can see where the deer hit it... but no damage was done....

I can officially say that i am one lucky guy... I was just picturing my 400.00 for the 31" MTZ's that i am going to buy going towards a new fender or something... I went from not being to big on religion to thanking god like crazy that i didn't hit that deer... Adrenaline was flowing like crazy...

I usually travel 50-60 there and if i had been, this would have been a BAD crash... That deer was HUGE, at least 200lb (i don't really know deer weights) real nice rack....

I know know that after i buy the tires, i need to invest in a mini stinger, so if this happens again, my jeep has a chance...

Glad my jeep has awesome brakes, and that "the feeling" i had that told me to drive slow over that hill, was definitely a good one to have... I love the jeep and i feel like one lucky guy for not hitting it with more force...

any body else do this?

03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
gamble71

tagged one at 70mph once going from austin to Ft. Hood. Bent my bumper a bit and had to have a fender touched up.... but that was all. Got lucky it's head hit my bumper and then threw it off the road
gamble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
03Wrangler

ironic thing is that during hunting season all i saw was doe.... now i see 2 bucks about a mile from my house....
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
fundabug

I live in western KY and this area is INFESTED with deer! My boss hit a deer in town in the middle of the day recently. I almost hit a deer the other day at Ft. Campbell....in the middle of the day...right in the middle of Post. The main area at Ft. Campbell is very busy with a lot of buildings and they have deer all over the place. Everybody here has several "hitting a deer" stories, but so far I've never hit one....Had numerous close calls. I did hit a couple of wild turkeys and some kind of falcon once. I had a deer run out in front of my once, but he tried to stop and did that deer sliding on pavement dance. I hit the brakes and looked him in the eyes as I went skidding by him. A couple of more inches and he'd have been in my lap (doors off) and I looked in the rear view just as he slid past the rear bumper. I think I was more scared than he was.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
98zjWHAT
2000 WJ 

yeaa i drilled the crap outta a hugeeeee buck. rolled off my front bumper onto my windshielf. kinda cracked the windshield..and the bumper had to be replaced. but no biggie.

lmao..you said "nice rack"
98zjWHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
shunt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Deer sausage..................................
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
gamble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundabug
I live in western KY and this area is INFESTED with deer! My boss hit a deer in town in the middle of the day recently. I almost hit a deer the other day at Ft. Campbell....in the middle of the day...right in the middle of Post. The main area at Ft. Campbell is very busy with a lot of buildings and they have deer all over the place. Everybody here has several "hitting a deer" stories, but so far I've never hit one....Had numerous close calls. I did hit a couple of wild turkeys and some kind of falcon once. I had a deer run out in front of my once, but he tried to stop and did that deer sliding on pavement dance. I hit the brakes and looked him in the eyes as I went skidding by him. A couple of more inches and he'd have been in my lap (doors off) and I looked in the rear view just as he slid past the rear bumper. I think I was more scared than he was.
Hey Neighbor. I'm at Campbell too, just haven't changed my profile to reflect. Gonna have to get ya to show me some of the trails around here sometime. Maybe even some BBQ and
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I tagged a 8 pointer last summer ......... The Deer was Killed on Impact my YJ suffered a Bent Bumper, Passanger Fender and a Bent Grill ....... None of which have been fixed
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
gamble71

Had one hit me saturday evening Was coming home and 3 of em popped out in front of me. I missed the first two, but the third freaked out and jumped into the side of the jeep. Got lucky, it just busted the rear fender flare.... thing hobbled off to die in the woods Just glad the jeep didn't get bad messed up, wife woulda killed me
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

are you allowed to keep them if it's a legitimate accident?

Not many deer 'round these parts
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
gamble71

not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Not something I'm willing to risk
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble71 View Post
not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Not something I'm willing to risk
seems kind of silly to waste the meat. I mean heck, you should at least get the consolation prize for when the damn thing wrecks your car
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ever drive down the bad part of town and see the reflection of the headlights from the eyes of all the shady people that are watching you? The dear have been plotting this for quite some time now. Don't be surprised if you get a police officer knocking on your door with an arrest warrant for a hit and run. Those deer have some pretty good lawyers and they're going to take everything they can from you.

And if you hunt, forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I see a dozen or so on the typical bike ride to work....I actually tapped one with the front tire of my bike once. I've had a couple close calls with them popping up out of the ditch into the bike lane...at least once or twice I would have been a shish-ka-bob if the deer in question was a buck.

I've had a few close calls in the jeep, but nothing like the OP. The one I actually hit set off the airbags, so I think I hit it a little harder . It was a rental car
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tell me that this doesn't creep you out and make you fear for you life.

Exhibit A
You hand a deer a piece of bread and they stalk you assuming you have something better for them. LIKE MONEY.
[YT]BV3d3qUUk7o[/YT]

Exhibit B
Here's a deer harassing a local tourist for some money. They think it's cute, but he's only looking to buy smack with that money.
[YT]3TcKQsZ-sIU[/YT]

Exhibit C
And here's where it all ends. The deer buys the smack, gets high and thinks he's invincible.
[YT]G6Bxx6KgG8Q[/YT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.