No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #61
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

correcta'mundo

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #62
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout734 View Post
....why are you being so closed minded?

everyone has different principles....
Yes. You are right. I am closed minded about accepting cultural xenophobia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
So you are saying he's closed minded for following a principle that has been established world wide for centuries?

You are right he truly is the lazy one. Excuses me while I take your power knowledge and go learn north of 50 langue so I can communicate with all I may interact. Seems logical.
For centuries, mi amigo, the United States of America has been a cultural melting pot. A country of immigrants who bring elements of their countries of origin to the US - that includes their native languages. Should they be able to speak and understand basic English. Yes. Should they have to ONLY speak English once they get here. No. Anyone who has attempted to learn and apply a new language would understand the difficulties inherent in doing so. English is one of the more difficult languages to learn. English has become a sort of melting pot of languages itself, thanks to the cultural melting pot of the United States.

At no point did I call anyone lazy. BTW, while I am flattered that you think of me of some human Rosetta Stone, I don't speak Spanish as well you as you seem to give me credit for. Read? I do alright. Write? A bit more more of a challenge. Speak it? About as well as a child. I sound pretty dumb speaking it, but I can at least communicate enough to get my point across. Or to at least get the other person to speak English after I explain that I don't speak Spanish very well and don't understand him.

Learning another language is just as much about communication as it is about understanding another culture from a different perspective. Here in the good ol' US of A we seem to think the world revolves around English speaking Americans. It doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjan View Post
I thought English was a foreign language in CA?
The closer you get to the border, the more foreign it becomes

- SALUD!
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #63
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

USA is more like a stew pot than a true melting pot. We lump everyone in but the ethnicities tend to keep their identity. Reference all the places with "Little-Italy", "China Town", "Little Havana", etc. We are very quick to identify ourselves as "some ethnic group-American" such as Irish-American, African-American. We do not really combine into one blended culture very well.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #64
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Donde esta la biblioteca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #65
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
USA is more like a stew pot than a true melting pot. We lump everyone in but the ethnicities tend to keep their identity. Reference all the places with "Little-Italy", "China Town", "Little Havana", etc. We are very quick to identify ourselves as "some ethnic group-American" such as Irish-American, African-American. We do not really combine into one blended culture very well.
Frankly, I think we'd lose a bit of our own national identity if we did blend the culture so seamlessly. I love that we have such cultural diversity in this country, and I think there is nothing wrong with having a distinct identity. People may identify themselves and African-American, or Irish-American, but the core of it is that we are all proud to be US Citizens. (no, I will not fall in the trap of calling us Americans )
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #66
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Never been to Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean Islands, or any other Spanish speaking country (well, except the Philippines, but they speak Tagalog), so I have no need to speak that branch of language. I do however know bits of some dialects of Arabic so I can converse with the local peoples while on patrols and say "put the bomb down or we'll shoot", and I know a little Thai, Hindi, French, and Tagalog as well and I am working on learning various dialects of Chinese.

That said, the international language of business has been, more or less, widely accepted to be English.

Last I checked though, the US Constitution provided the basis to pretty much do whatever and speak however you want so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. But it is up to each person to make sure that others can understand them and vise versa. So if the dominant language in the country you are in is French, then you should know some French. If the dominant language is English then you should be able to converse in English (even a little is better than none).

It is like that in just about every country I've been too. The major cities have several different languages that are spoken (English usually among them), but you go into the rural areas or small countries, then you will find nothing but the native language.

My $0.02.
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #67
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
IMO, a person who refuses to learn another language out of principle, is closed minded.
i have to agree with this. if you don't learn a language like, say, spanish, because you don't live near people who speak spanish and therefore wouldn't have a need to speak it, that's fine. but i'm sure that english won't be the absolute only language there. if you live in say, vermont, would it not benefit you to learn some french seeing as how quebec is just north of you? but to say you won't learn at least a bit of another language, whichever one it is, simply because you don't think you should have to understand another language is just sad. i'm not saying you shouldn't learn english if you come to the US, because you should. but think about it- in what way could learning another language possibly hurt you? (yes, this goes both ways)
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #68
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Mexicans come from Mexico, Russians come from Russia, Africans come from Africa, where do Caucasians come from? Caucasia? Lol...I kid
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #69
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04 View Post
Mexicans come from Mexico, Russians come from Russia, Africans come from Africa, where do Caucasians come from? Caucasia? Lol...I kid
From the Caucasus mountains.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #70
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

biblioteca, biblioteca, Donde esta la biblioteca?

I got the ref. jus say'in

Unread 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #71
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross00TJ View Post
"put the bomb down or we'll shoot",
This would be important to know Hope you stayed or stay safe!
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #72
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

"El queso está viejo y pútrido. ¿Dónde está el sanitario?"
Unread 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #73
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Used to have a good sig but Mod threated to ban me...

Unread 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #74
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

wrong thread my bad.

Unread 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #75
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
wrong thread my bad.
No, Andy, in this thread it would be enviar, or dopo, после

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.