No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Scout, that was a very interesting article, thanks for posting it

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

without a doubt there are differences in the language depending on where you are located in the world. think about a new yorker vs. someone from georgia.

same concept with Engligh over in Scottland, same language, different words, different phrases. Was certaintly an experience trying to talk with them.

overall i would say that americans are the least "lingual" people in the world. along with some of the most arrogant.

OP: why are you seeing ads? arent you a forum supporter? turn the ads off.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
without a doubt there are differences in the language depending on where you are located in the world. think about a new yorker vs. someone from georgia.

same concept with Engligh over in Scottland, same language, different words, different phrases. Was certaintly an experience trying to talk with them.

overall i would say that americans are the least "lingual" people in the world. along with some of the most arrogant.

wow...

you can go elsewhere you know...

I suppose you want us to be more like France... or Greece perhaps...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Explain further please?
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #20
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout734 View Post
wow...

you can go elsewhere you know...
I guess i am up on my soap box a little. my appologies.

However, i stand behind my statement. whenever i'm overseas there is inevitably some loud american making a scene. about how nobody can speak American and their cheeseburger is not like McDonalds. Americans tend to not be very tolerant when it comes to other cultures.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMBJ33P View Post
Explain further please?
anytime i'm in another country (france, spain, Italy, etc) the people there always tend to be able to speak some english. these people are typically in people services (tours, resturants, hotels, etc) and as such are expected to be able to cummunicate with people throughout the world.

Now flip the other side of the scenario. take a woman from France (who speaks no english), drop her in Washington DC and see if she can communicate with hotel staff. I bet she would have a difficult time finding anyone who could communicate with her without doing charades.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess i am up on my soap box a little. my appologies.

However, i stand behind my statement. whenever i'm overseas there is inevitably some loud american making a scene. about how nobody can speak American and their cheeseburger is not like McDonalds. Americans tend to not be very tolerant when it comes to other cultures.
You do realize the United States of America is pretty much the largest melting pot of cultures in the world... Ask anyone what their ancestry is and you will see why America exists... people of various cultures emigrated from their homelands to here because of religious and ethnic persecution in Europe and Asia... and it's still happening today

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You do realize the United States of America is pretty much the largest melting pot of cultures in the world... Ask anyone what their ancestry is and you will see why America exists... people emmigrated here because of religious and ethnic persecution in Europe and Asia...
yes, people Immigrated here, not debating that.

i just think people tend to be closed minded...

A Hokie build

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #24
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
anytime i'm in another country (france, spain, Italy, etc) the people there always tend to be able to speak some english. these people are typically in people services (tours, resturants, hotels, etc) and as such are expected to be able to cummunicate with people throughout the world.

Now flip the other side of the scenario. take a woman from France (who speaks no english), drop her in Washington DC and see if she can communicate with hotel staff. I bet she would have a difficult time finding anyone who could communicate with her without doing charades.
Hmm, I would call you on this one, I've no doubt that hotels in Washington D.C. are well equipped to deal with someone who speaks another language

However, your point is a little skewed. Think about how many different languages are native to Europe. English just happens to be an equalizer for everyone, therefore everyone learns some. Would you expect Americans to learn 2-3 different languages just to be able to communicate across the board? Learning a second language is a skill I absolutely agree should be taught, but in our case here in the US, Spanish is the best language to learn, not French, or German, or say Russian.
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes, people Immigrated here, not debating that.

i just think people tend to be closed minded...
Immigrate you say???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration

Emigration

Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. It is the same as immigration but from the perspective of the country of origin. Human movement in general is termed migration. There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire.

Emigration had a profound influence on the world in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries, when millions of poor families left Europe for the United States, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, the rest of Latin America, Australia and New Zealand.

Even though definitions may be vague and vary somewhat, emigration/immigration should not be confused with the phenomenon of involuntary migration, such as instances of population transfer or ethnic cleansing.

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMBJ33P View Post
Hmm, I would call you on this one, I've no doubt that hotels in Washington D.C. are well equipped to deal with someone who speaks another language

However, your point is a little skewed. Think about how many different languages are native to Europe. English just happens to be an equalizer for everyone, therefore everyone learns some. Would you expect Americans to learn 2-3 different languages just to be able to communicate across the board? Learning a second language is a skill I absolutely agree should be taught, but in our case here in the US, Spanish is the best language to learn, not French, or German, or say Russian.
I'm right there with you... English is a common denominator.

In the US, Spanish is the most usefull 2nd language. which is why i'm confused everytime i hear somone complain about an ad in Spanish.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah,

Immigration is the act of moving to a new location,

Emmigration is the act of leaving one location.

when someone moves they do both.

so when someone moves to the US from Spain. They Immigrate to the US, but Emmigrate from Spain.

semantics really.

A Hokie build

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah,

Immigration is the act of moving to a new location,

Emmigration is the act of leaving one location.
Emigration

when someone moves they do both.

so when someone moves to the US from Spain. They Immigrate to the US, but Emmigrate from Spain.

semantics really.
...and now you know

Unread 06-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I better stay out of this one. Language debates make my blood boil.
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

At any given point in time how many French as a first language world travelers are there?

At any given point in time how many English as a first language (or are at least fairly fluent in English) travelers are there?

How many dozens of languages would the hotel staff in DC need to learn? Chinese... Japanese... Somalian... French... Greek... Italian... etc...

Most of the world recognises the value in teaching the English language to their citizens. Right or wrong, it just is...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.