No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No JF, I don't speak Spanish, but thanks anyways

LOL really?

The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
kreitz3

…Que?
kreitz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
ILoveMyJeep1996
1984 CJ7 

I can read all of that except for the "pide ya"
I took Spanish 1 and 2 in school because a lot of people aren't learning English so I figured I'd learn a little Spanish...
ILoveMyJeep1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2 medium 1 topping pizzas, a 2 liter of Coke, 8 cinna stix, and 16 parmesan bread bites for $19.99 at Dominos.

Learn some spanish, ***.

Ilovemyjeep: Pide Ya means "order now"
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
nwiTJdave

Un mas cerveza por favor

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
2 medium 1 topping pizzas, a 2 liter of Coke, 8 cinna stix, and 16 parmesan bread bites for $19.99 at Dominos.

Learn some spanish, ***.

Ilovemyjeep: Pide Ya means "order now"
No.
I conduct my business in English. Always will unless I travel to another country. If a business within these borders will not understand me in English, I will use another establishment to get the goods or services I require.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in American, so I speak American. No, not english, American. And yes there is a difference. Why learn Spanish? I live here, always will, so I should only need to know the language here. I expect that from all residents. If I move to Mexico or Germany, I will learn their language. Mexicans here should do the same, sadly a majority of them don't. I should not learn their language to understand them in my own country.

Sent using the force

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No necesitas aprender otras lenguajes. Pero si no, no entendieras que un cholo esta diciendo sobre tu. O su mujer.
Por supuesto, no hay personas que tengan Jeeps y que hablan dos leguajes, con espanol por la primer lenguaje.
(*mi keyboard no tenga la punctuation correcta por espanol, y no sabe como hacer los cambios)

The ad isn't asking you to do business in Spanish, it is just reaching out to customers that feel more comfortable speaking Spanish. It can take quite some time (years of constantly speaking it) to become fully fluent in another language, particularly for adults, and it takes some getting over the fear of speaking it incorrectly. I'm sure that anyone new to another country where English is not the primary language would be grateful for anything available in English. Anyone who has attempted to learn a new language and actually apply it in conversations with native speakers would understand.

IMO, a person who refuses to learn another language out of principle, is closed minded.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
IMO, a person who refuses to learn another language out of principle, is closed minded.
....why are you being so closed minded?

everyone has different principles....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post

So you are saying he's closed minded for following a principle that has been established world wide for centuries?

You are right he truly is the lazy one. Excuses me while I take your power knowledge and go learn north of 50 langue so I can communicate with all I may interact. Seems logical.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im slowly learning Ebonics. Its an epidemic !!

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
GunMetalBlue
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon
No necesitas aprender otras lenguajes. Pero si no, no entendieras que un cholo esta diciendo sobre tu. O su mujer.
Por supuesto, no hay personas que tengan Jeeps y que hablan dos leguajes, con espanol por la primer lenguaje.
(*mi keyboard no tenga la punctuation correcta por espanol, y no sabe como hacer los cambios)

The ad isn't asking you to do business in Spanish, it is just reaching out to customers that feel more comfortable speaking Spanish. It can take quite some time (years of constantly speaking it) to become fully fluent in another language, particularly for adults, and it takes some getting over the fear of speaking it incorrectly. I'm sure that anyone new to another country where English is not the primary language would be grateful for anything available in English. Anyone who has attempted to learn a new language and actually apply it in conversations with native speakers would understand.

I thought English was a foreign language in CA?

[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I]shall not be infringed[/I][/B][/FONT]
GunMetalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I live in American, so I speak American. No, not english, American. And yes there is a difference. Why learn Spanish? I live here, always will, so I should only need to know the language here. I expect that from all residents. If I move to Mexico or Germany, I will learn their language. Mexicans here should do the same, sadly a majority of them don't. I should not learn their language to understand them in my own country.

Sent using the force
so if we speak "american" here in the US. do they speak "mexican" in Mexico?

while I tend to agree with your sentiment about speaking the language of the country you reside in. Its this type of arrogant BS that makes Americans out to be the "bad guys".

and FYI, a "language" has nothing to do with the "country" it is spoken in...

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
so if we speak "american" here in the US. do they speak "mexican" in Mexico?while I tend to agree with your sentiment about speaking the language of the country you reside in. Its this type of arrogant BS that makes Americans out to be the "bad guys".

and FYI, a "language" has nothing to do with the "country" it is spoken in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Spanish

Question: Varieties of Spanish
How big are the language differences between Spain and Mexico?

Answer:
This question or some variation of it comes up frequently. Many students have heard so much about how the Spanish of Spain (or Argentina or Cuba or fill-in-the-blank) is different that they're worried their months of study won't do them much good.

While the comparison isn't completely accurate, the differences between the Spanish of Spain and the Spanish of Latin America are something like the differences between British English and American English. People from throughout the Spanish-speaking world can communicate with each other as easily as people throughout the English-speaking world can. There are differences, more so in the spoken language than in writing, but they aren't so extreme that you can't learn the differences as you need them.

Also, while it's easy to think of Latin American Spanish as one entity, as textbooks and lessons often do, you should note there are differences in the Spanish of various countries in the Western Hemisphere. But again, the differences aren't so extreme that they prevent communication.

If your pronunciation is reasonably good, whether your accent is Castilian or Mexican or Bolivian, you will be understood. Latin Americans watch movies from Spain, and Spaniards watch Latin American telenovelas (soap operas), so you can be assured the differences aren't all that great. You might want to avoid slang or extreme colloquialisms, but standard educated Spanish is understood anywhere in the Spanish-speaking world.

Here, however, are some of the differences you may notice:

Pronunciation: One of the main differences is that many Spaniards often pronounce the z and the c before i or e like the "th" in "thin," while many Latin Americans pronounce it the same as the s. Also, speakers in some areas (Argentina in particular) often pronounce the ll and y like the "s" in "measure." In some areas, you will hear speakers drop s sounds, so está sounds like etá. In some areas, the j sounds like the "ch" in "loch" (difficult for many native English speakers to master), while in others it sounds like the English "h." In some areas, the l and the r at the end of a word sound alike. If you listen to a variety of spoken Spanish, you'll notice other differences as well, particularly in the rhythm in which it is spoken.

Grammar: Two of the biggest differences, each worth a lesson in itself, are the leísmo of Spain and the use of the pronoun vos in some areas instead of tú. Another major difference is that vosotros is often used as the plural of tú (the singular familiar "you") in Spain, while in Latin American ustedes is usually used. There are also numerous small differences, many involving colloquial usage.

Vocabulary: Other than slang, probably the biggest class of vocabulary differences you'll come across is in the use of suffixes. A lápiz is a pencil or crayon everywhere, but a lapicero is a pencil holder in some areas, a mechanical pencil in others, and a ball-point pen in still others. There are also a fair number of blatant differences, such as a computer being an ordenador in Spain but a computadora in Latin America, but they are probably no more common than the British-American differences. Of course, every area also has its quirky words. For example, a Chinese restaurant in Chile or Peru is called a chifa, but you won't run across that word in many other places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjan View Post
I thought English was a foreign language in CA?
And in Southern AZ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.