The no-cell club - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > The no-cell club

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #31
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If I didn't need one for my job, I would ditch the POS flip phone in a heart beat. What gets me are the smart phones and how a majority of the owners/users thereof suddenly think they are freaking Einstein...when, in fact, they are morons that just text or post to a$$facebook when they should be paying attention to their surroundings.

Unread 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #32
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I hate chatting on the phone and when cell first became a thing I wanted nothing to do with it. But, the one thing I hate more than phone calls is waiting around for people and wasting time. It did not take long before I realized that instead of trying to keep track of everyone and standing around in front of restaurants or concerts waiting for constantly late friends I can just go about my business and they can call or text. Anyone over 40 will remember what is was like to have to call your house and see if there was a message on your answering machine. Or having to make two trips to the store. Or not being able to call from the road if you're stuck in traffic.

A phone is a tool that allows me to make far better use of my time. Getting lost in the internet on the phone is not the fault of the device.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #33
roots
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't have a cell phone but I can see where they would come in handy from time to time.
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #34
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I guess you can pride yourself in not having one however in these times having a cell phone is pretty much par for the course. So i guess if something happens to you in an area with nobody around, you can just yell for help right?

I can understand the whole not wanting one thing but these days it's safer to have one than to not having one on your person. Even if it's just a lil flip phone that stays on vibrate.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I guess you can pride yourself in not having one however in these times having a cell phone is pretty much par for the course. So i guess if something happens to you in an area with nobody around, you can just yell for help right?

I can understand the whole not wanting one thing but these days it's safer to have one than to not having one on your person. Even if it's just a lil flip phone that stays on vibrate.
After 45 years of life, going to war, and raising 5 boys, I have never had to yell for help yet. What do you think I am going to do if being robbed or my life threatened? Call for a cop? Noooooooo..... I am going to draw my weapon and take care of business. 2 in the chest and 1 in the head.

If I am wheeling, I am wheeling with a group and a lot of trails don't even have reliable service. That's why we use CB's when wheeling. Same thing for when I go camping. No reliable service.

Like I said before, I have been homeless in L.A., hitch hiked across America, been to war and raised and raising five boys all with out myself owning a cell phone.

I think the world is more rude with everyone on their cell phone. Not to mention all of you who are talking on your phones instead of paying attention to the road and making the roads that more dangerous. No one will ever be able to prove to me that talking on the phone while driving does not take your attention off the road.

There is no doubt that the phone technology can add a lot to life. With the available information at the tip of your finger, but I do not think I am really any safer with it myself. It does make me think that my wife is safer with hers, and we did just use the navi on her phone Saturday. All good things, but I do not need one. I could have just printed a mapquest map and done just as well.

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #36
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedawgshow
After 45 years of life, going to war, and raising 5 boys, I have never had to yell for help yet. What do you think I am going to do if being robbed or my life threatened? Call for a cop? Noooooooo..... I am going to draw my weapon and take care of business. 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. If I am wheeling, I am wheeling with a group and a lot of trails don't even have reliable service. That's why we use CB's when wheeling. Same thing for when I go camping. No reliable service. Like I said before, I have been homeless in L.A., hitch hiked across America, been to war and raised and raising five boys all with out myself owning a cell phone. I think the world is more rude with everyone on their cell phone. Not to mention all of you who are talking on your phones instead of paying attention to the road and making the roads that more dangerous. No one will ever be able to prove to me that talking on the phone while driving does not take your attention off the road. There is no doubt that the phone technology can add a lot to life. With the available information at the tip of your finger, but I do not think I am really any safer with it myself. It does make me think that my wife is safer with hers, and we did just use the navi on her phone Saturday. All good things, but I do not need one. I could have just printed a mapquest map and done just as well.
I was more referring to getting in a bad accident with your car or something with nobody around. But I can see where you're coming from and I appreciate your service!

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #37
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I get where you are coming from too. I bet if I did have one and have a wreck, my dang battery would be dead. That is just my kind of luck. Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Unread 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #38
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have personally never had a cell phone and I'm 56 years old. I have never sent or received a text. I've lived fine without one all my life.
And here is the part where I bring up that my work gives me one for phone calls only. It's the only phone I have and my cost is nothing.
So I do use one but have never had one myself.
Does that count????
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #39
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedawgshow View Post
After 45 years of life, going to war, and raising 5 boys, I have never had to yell for help yet. What do you think I am going to do if being robbed or my life threatened? Call for a cop? Noooooooo..... I am going to draw my weapon and take care of business. 2 in the chest and 1 in the head.

If I am wheeling, I am wheeling with a group and a lot of trails don't even have reliable service. That's why we use CB's when wheeling. Same thing for when I go camping. No reliable service.

Like I said before, I have been homeless in L.A., hitch hiked across America, been to war and raised and raising five boys all with out myself owning a cell phone.

I think the world is more rude with everyone on their cell phone. Not to mention all of you who are talking on your phones instead of paying attention to the road and making the roads that more dangerous. No one will ever be able to prove to me that talking on the phone while driving does not take your attention off the road.

There is no doubt that the phone technology can add a lot to life. With the available information at the tip of your finger, but I do not think I am really any safer with it myself. It does make me think that my wife is safer with hers, and we did just use the navi on her phone Saturday. All good things, but I do not need one. I could have just printed a mapquest map and done just as well.

Here here!
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #40
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedawgshow View Post

I have never seen a cell phone bill that is less than my landline. Oh, I hardly answer my landline too. My landline phone has a feature that verbally tells me who is calling so I do not even have to look at it to know I am not going to answer it. Hahahahahaha!!!!!
$48.30 a month for unlimited calls in and out (in country $15 bucks more if you need international), unlimited text and unlimited internet. You can't beat that.

I use my cell phone allot. I own rental homes and being able to have tenants text me is great. I have a written record with my conversations with them. It helps me keep track of maintenance and other issues. I have also buy and resell stuff over the internet, having my smart phone and being able to do this is a real benefit that way. Only being able to talk on a conventional phone and not have the other technology in the palm of my hand would be a major inconvenience for me and tie up way to much of my time. Plus it is less money and more reliable than trying to use a land line. I can be about anywhere and handle my business. Being stuck at home with an old fashioned phone and an answer machine would not allow me the free time I can enjoy because of the mobility a cell phone/smart phone affords me.

Plus with Pandora I can always find something to listen to.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #41
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause View Post
Cell phone----> 80% of the time I don't know where it is, most of the time when I do find it is dead, so about 10% of the time it is on a charger, so maybe 10% of the time it is with me. I have lost four!

No landline, gave that up years ago. Actually don't miss either one!
Is this why you don't call me back? I thought you were just ignoring me.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #42
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Since I jumped on the smart phone jag last year, I find I have little to no need for my home computer.
Unread 08-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #43
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm curious just how much time is wasted and money wasted when someone talks on their cell phone with their buddy about nonsense while they're on the clock at work. So do you think your boss is supposed to like that? I also detest waiting on some that I've been having a conversation with to finish their call that interrupted us so we can get back to business. I have salesmen come into my shop and that happens. So I'm standing here on my time while you talk to someone else then you expect me to wait on you till you finish the call. That's rude. Yes I know we need to be mindful in using anything but it seems cell phone use is so abused. It's like that call is so important and time needs to stand still. It's just another reflection of how selfish and self-centered our society has become.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #44
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I'm curious just how much time is wasted and money wasted when someone talks on their cell phone with their buddy about nonsense while they're on the clock at work. So do you think your boss is supposed to like that? I also detest waiting on some that I've been having a conversation with to finish their call that interrupted us so we can get back to business. I have salesmen come into my shop and that happens. So I'm standing here on my time while you talk to someone else then you expect me to wait on you till you finish the call. That's rude. Yes I know we need to be mindful in using anything but it seems cell phone use is so abused. It's like that call is so important and time needs to stand still. It's just another reflection of how selfish and self-centered our society has become.
I agree. I had this one guy at work who would hide his phone around him so he could text/view facebook while working and I caught him everytime. Our management yelled at him constantly and he never could put it away. Addiction at it's finest. He eventually got fired for stealing company time.

I had a cell phone-less experience last night. We were driving to work in the XJ and boom, smoke show, and my front and rear windows were covered in fluid. I knew it was coolant so I pulled over instantly to see what was going on. One of the hose adapters cracked and broke causing coolant to pour out all over the place. Radiator was empty and I had to be at work so I started walking to the gas station that we passed, bought some coolant and a funnel, then walked back and mcgyver-d the hose back together with whatever was left of the fitting and filled er back up. I made it to work an hour and half late but I survived.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #45
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
I agree. I had this one guy at work who would hide his phone around him so he could text/view facebook while working and I caught him everytime. Our management yelled at him constantly and he never could put it away. Addiction at it's finest. He eventually got fired for stealing company time.

I had a cell phone-less experience last night. We were driving to work in the XJ and boom, smoke show, and my front and rear windows were covered in fluid. I knew it was coolant so I pulled over instantly to see what was going on. One of the hose adapters cracked and broke causing coolant to pour out all over the place. Radiator was empty and I had to be at work so I started walking to the gas station that we passed, bought some coolant and a funnel, then walked back and mcgyver-d the hose back together with whatever was left of the fitting and filled er back up. I made it to work an hour and half late but I survived.
and because of your ingenuity, you were able to drive your vehicle to work. Most people would have called on their phone and had a wrecker come get their car, a friend come get them and still be late for work!!! Hats off to you!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.