The no-cell club - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > The no-cell club

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Is there anyone who doesn't own or refuses to own a cell phone?

I hope I ain't the only one. Going on four years.
I am 45 and do not have one!!! I am also a salesperson and don't have one. Yes I am old school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
Not having a cell phone these days is certainly unique and actually might work when things are normal, but throw in a couple of hospital visits, serious illnesses, or emergency situations and you suddenly find out how valuable that they can be. Having a cell phone could save someone's life.

My father (94) refuses to carry/use a cell phone and the only time that we could find out how things were going was to wait for him to call each night when he got home from the hospital. That was extemely frustrating, upsetting, and completely unncessary.

So, if you don't want to use a cell phone for yourself, fine, but think about those other people that may need info/status from you or have a real need to get in touch with you.

Have you ever tried to find the wife in a large store? Cell phones help with that.
Have you ever been on the road and needed a hotel reservation? Cell phones help with that.

Have you ever had a total electrical failure immediately after take off? I called the tower with the cell phone and recieved landing instructions.
Have you ever needed to activate the EMS system while on the road? Cell phones help with that.

If you can't hear/see to use a cell phone, there are phones for seniors that are not complicated with large keys/digits and loud volume. There just isn't any excuse not to have/use one these days. They are not a passing fad!!

I am very interested in understanding on what your resistance to cell phones is based.
I think you sound a little self absorbed myself. If your dad don't want one, then let him be. He didn't have a cell phone when you were growing up and sounds like he did a pretty darn good job doing it. You did turn out alright, didn't you?

Also, If I am not at work or at home, where I have a landline at both places, I am with my family or on the drive to get to them. Having a cell phone would not get me to them any faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
I'd be pissed too; that's just playing with their lives and others around them. I've had a few occasions of people swerving into my lane because they felt a text message or reading e-mail was so necessary.

Other than that; both my kids have cell phones and both are younger than high school age. I can call them if I'm running late and they show-up on our family map (GPS), so I can make sure they're on their way when riding bikes.

I was in the park about a month ago and a kid split his chin open; thankfully had my cell on me and was able to call an ambulance, because he was going into shock and half conscious (might have been concussed too).
I do not own a cell, and when my son almost cut off his finger, I applied general first aid techniques and drove like a bandit to the the hospital. I did not wait on an ambulance. It would have taken much longer. That is what I would have done for that boy too.

Just so you all know, I have 5 boys, have had countless emergencies, countless ilness' in the family, lots of hours and days spent in hospitals, and never let my family down by not having one. NEVER!!!

My wife has one, my oldest three boys have them, but they are men now.

I have been homeless in L.A., been to war, hitch hiked across the U.S., ben from L.A. to New Yourk. Mexico to Canada, and around the world, and never once have I NEEDED a cell phone.

Yes, it can be handy, no doubt, but I am old school. My wife does not call me 20 times a day while I am at work. In fact she has not called me at all today. Nothiong aggrivates me as going in the back and watching the guys back there trying to do thier job with a !@#$ phone stuck to thier ear. My boys better be home when told, and they are never able to look at me and say, "but I texted you."

I also play an old acoustic guitar and love old music too, and my Wrangler does not have power windows, locks or even carpet for that matter. I am as real and independant as one can get.

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, by the way, if I can't find my wife in the store, I just start singing and she knows where to find me.

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedawgshow View Post
Oh, by the way, if I can't find my wife in the store, I just start singing and she knows where to find me.

Same here with the jeep. No radio(not even a cassette player), no AC, no carpet, no doors (softies that are off all the time), no backseat, just a 2.5l plain old wrangler that goes from point A to muddy point B.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Is there anyone who doesn't own or refuses to own a cell phone?

I hope I ain't the only one. Going on four years.

DUDE, I'm with you!

I never had one, and its amazing how many people really think I need one, because they have one!

If I needed one that bad, I'll use yours! Pretty simple..

Its actually nice loosing my wife in the store!

I do have VZ and T in my portfolio, I got VZ when it was 19, and T around 17.. Great dividends by the way!
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
XJ2Timer

During working hours I carry the one provided to me by my employer.
I don't often carry it on "my time".
It is nice not being tied to a device.

There are times when it is convenient to place a call if I'm running late, something out of the ordinary happened, etc.
Carry a phone just to yak to people? No.
Unread 08-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #21
MCMike37
Random Guy

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a cell, but it's for my convenience. It's on silent 99% of the time and I can't tell you how many times my phone rings, or a message comes across, I don't respond, and the people I am with are like "Aren't you going to get that?"

That being said, depending on your job and family, I find it's a huge sense of security to know the people that need to get a hold of me should something happen, can just about no matter what.
MCMike37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Talking and texting is a convenience for me, rarely use it, but it would be hard to go without a smartphone for productivity reasons and of course the occasional entertainment. It's nice being able to surf Jeep Forum or other things when I'm bored out and about.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #23
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

just a flip phone for me.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

Many people are too dependent of their cell phones, and have a serious case of denial, I refuse to be one.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #25
Hurley91

Living in rural Saskatchewan, where they have to fly you to a hospital if it is something serious, it's a necessity to have one. Plus I can pay all my bills on my phone, use it for directions, FaceTime my family and friends, my boss can get ahold of me, use it as a flashlight, take pictures and videos, calculator, shop online.... Yeah, I'm dependent on my phone.
Unread 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #26
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91
Living in rural Saskatchewan, where they have to fly you to a hospital if it is something serious, it's a necessity to have one. Plus I can pay all my bills on my phone, use it for directions, FaceTime my family and friends, my boss can get ahold of me, use it as a flashlight, take pictures and videos, calculator, shop online.... Yeah, I'm dependent on my phone.
I guess I'm dependent on it too. I pay all my bills, stream pandora all day at work, watch Netflix, call my boss several times a day, look up Youtube how to videos, check the weather, read my local newspaper, set events in my calendar that I would other wise forget. I can even go on vacation and turn the heat or ac up or down at my house 100's of miles away. Not owning a cell phone doesn't make you any more "rugged" than me. I actually think it's pretty ironic that people are complaining about phones and being in communication with others on the internet.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #27
KHoff90

Living in California, 3500+ miles away from family, friends and known acquaintances; a cell phone is almost a necessity for me. I've used it for video chats with family/friends, looking up directions and just an overall alternative to using a desktop/laptop computer. I can get those who refuse to get one, but please don't let your pride get in the way. A cell phone is a great tool and certainly one that can be appreciated when you have one. Plus, it's cheaper than a land line and can be used almost anywhere.

PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Thedawgshow
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
I don't want my boss to get ahold of me!!! Hahahahaha!!! Yes, you can do all that you mention on a phone, and I can do it on this laptop. The phone is handy no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
I guess I'm dependent on it too. I pay all my bills, stream pandora all day at work, watch Netflix, call my boss several times a day, look up Youtube how to videos, check the weather, read my local newspaper, set events in my calendar that I would other wise forget. I can even go on vacation and turn the heat or ac up or down at my house 100's of miles away. Not owning a cell phone doesn't make you any more "rugged" than me. I actually think it's pretty ironic that people are complaining about phones and being in communication with others on the internet.
My wife pays my bills on her phone, I don't listen to Pandora, I like my movies on the big screen T.V. with Netflix on my Xbox, look up how to on the laptop, watch the local news for my weather, don't read the paper, have a wall calendar for the whole family, leave my thermostat at 68, and 72 depending on season and when on vacation, I adjust before I leave the house, and no I am not more rugged than you, I am just not bothered by endless phone calls and texts that would otherwise not be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff90 View Post
Living in California, 3500+ miles away from family, friends and known acquaintances; a cell phone is almost a necessity for me. I've used it for video chats with family/friends, looking up directions and just an overall alternative to using a desktop/laptop computer. I can get those who refuse to get one, but please don't let your pride get in the way. A cell phone is a great tool and certainly one that can be appreciated when you have one. Plus, it's cheaper than a land line and can be used almost anywhere.
I have never seen a cell phone bill that is less than my landline. Oh, I hardly answer my landline too. My landline phone has a feature that verbally tells me who is calling so I do not even have to look at it to know I am not going to answer it. Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Unread 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #29
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ditched the land line.... not worth the expense and it never rang anyway. A cell phone is all I need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #30
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Cell phone----> 80% of the time I don't know where it is, most of the time when I do find it is dead, so about 10% of the time it is on a charger, so maybe 10% of the time it is with me. I have lost four!

No landline, gave that up years ago. Actually don't miss either one!
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.