The no-cell club - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > The no-cell club

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Muddeprived

The no-cell club

Is there anyone who doesn't own or refuses to own a cell phone?

I hope I ain't the only one. Going on four years.

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

On the contrary, we got cell phones and ditched our land lines. Cheaper and easier.
Now texting is another matter...........
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Muddeprived

Speaking of texting, I just drove home and saw a guy texting on his phone and totally ignoring what was happening on the road in front of him. I got totally pissed when I glanced behind him and saw two little girls in the back seat.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My wife has one.I do not.People around here(CA.) think its odd,but I tell them I dont need one.We get 250 min. every three months and use maybe 5 or 10 minutes.the minutes just roll over to the next quarter.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
On the contrary, we got cell phones and ditched our land lines. Cheaper and easier.
Now texting is another matter...........
Same here. The only thing we use the land line for is DSL. I have been reducing my satellite TV programming as I discover more and more internet TV options.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
RockyMnt1

Not having a cell phone these days is certainly unique and actually might work when things are normal, but throw in a couple of hospital visits, serious illnesses, or emergency situations and you suddenly find out how valuable that they can be. Having a cell phone could save someone's life.

My father (94) refuses to carry/use a cell phone and the only time that we could find out how things were going was to wait for him to call each night when he got home from the hospital. That was extemely frustrating, upsetting, and completely unncessary.

So, if you don't want to use a cell phone for yourself, fine, but think about those other people that may need info/status from you or have a real need to get in touch with you.

Have you ever tried to find the wife in a large store? Cell phones help with that.
Have you ever been on the road and needed a hotel reservation? Cell phones help with that.
Have you ever had a total electrical failure immediately after take off? I called the tower with the cell phone and recieved landing instructions.
Have you ever needed to activate the EMS system while on the road? Cell phones help with that.

If you can't hear/see to use a cell phone, there are phones for seniors that are not complicated with large keys/digits and loud volume. There just isn't any excuse not to have/use one these days. They are not a passing fad!!

I am very interested in understanding on what your resistance to cell phones is based.
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
Not having a cell phone these days is certainly unique and actually might work when things are normal, but throw in a couple of hospital visits, serious illnesses, or emergency situations and you suddenly find out how valuable that they can be. Having a cell phone could save someone's life.

My father (94) refuses to carry/use a cell phone and the only time that we could find out how things were going was to wait for him to call each night when he got home from the hospital. That was extemely frustrating, upsetting, and completely unnecessary.

He's old school and used to it and what may seem normal to him is not to the current technology-crazed generation that must know everything that is going on with everyone at every minute.

So, if you don't want to use a cell phone for yourself, fine, but think about those other people that may need info/status from you or have a real need to get in touch with you.

If they want to get in touch with me then they can email me. It has worked for the past 15-20 years and still has. I'm 34 and still email with parents,family, and friends without any issues. I go about my life during the day and check email before bed.

Have you ever tried to find the wife in a large store? Cell phones help with that.

Yes i do laps around and around till I find her. It's a good workout I do not mind.
Have you ever been on the road and needed a hotel reservation? Cell phones help with that.
Nope but if I did I'd stop by and ask someone at a gas station or store. Good old human interaction.

Have you ever had a total electrical failure immediately after take off? I called the tower with the cell phone and recieved landing instructions.

I don't fly. Makes me too nervous. I wouldn't be allowed to fly a plane anyways.
Have you ever needed to activate the EMS system while on the road? Cell phones help with that.
Nope, sorry never was in a situation that required an ems.

If you can't hear/see to use a cell phone, there are phones for seniors that are not complicated with large keys/digits and loud volume. There just isn't any excuse not to have/use one these days. They are not a passing fad!!

I am very interested in understanding on what your resistance to cell phones is based.
I chose not to use a phone simply because I do not need one in my daily life. I do everything everyone else does without a phone except what I do is not super-simplified by a smart phone. And, oh yeah, I actually ENJOY what i see instead of fiddling with a camera to take pictures and missing out on the entire moment.
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
I chose not to use a phone simply because I do not need one in my daily life. I do everything everyone else does without a phone except what I do is not super-simplified by a smart phone. And, oh yeah, I actually ENJOY what i see instead of fiddling with a camera to take pictures and missing out on the entire moment.
We used to be like you. But highschool kids in sports, living in the country, elderly family members, and just a general ability to contact folks on the fly changed all that.
Once we found that it was cheaper to pay for a family cell plan than retain our land line, the choice became obvious.
Interestingly enough, mine rarely rings. But when I'm outside and my boy is calling to tell me his car is broken down on the pass, it pays for it'self.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Over the weekend we ended up with a Jeep down in the woods. I can't imagine how long it would have taken to get a trailer rounded up to get the Jeep home if we didnít have cell phones. We could have made it happen but it would have taken much longer.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
bobjp

I respect not wanting a cell phone. I could get by without one, and it is questionable to justify for how little I use it. But having verbal communication abilities is nice, and having a land line makes no sense whatsoever over a cell. So cell phone it is.

It is amusing to see what people think you must have a cell phone for. As if nothing was ever accomplished 15 years ago.
Unread 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

It's not a necessity by any stretch. However, it's cheap insurance if you're driving very much.
Unread 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
It is amusing to see what people think you must have a cell phone for. As if nothing was ever accomplished 15 years ago.
Yea back when you can find a pay phone on every block. Seriously go look for one and see how long it takes. Make sure the actual PHONE is still in it.

I see the OP's side of things, but at the same time you must be single.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
Speaking of texting, I just drove home and saw a guy texting on his phone and totally ignoring what was happening on the road in front of him. I got totally pissed when I glanced behind him and saw two little girls in the back seat.
I'd be pissed too; that's just playing with their lives and others around them. I've had a few occasions of people swerving into my lane because they felt a text message or reading e-mail was so necessary.

Other than that; both my kids have cell phones and both are younger than high school age. I can call them if I'm running late and they show-up on our family map (GPS), so I can make sure they're on their way when riding bikes.

I was in the park about a month ago and a kid split his chin open; thankfully had my cell on me and was able to call an ambulance, because he was going into shock and half conscious (might have been concussed too).
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post
Yea back when you can find a pay phone on every block. Seriously go look for one and see how long it takes. Make sure the actual PHONE is still in it.

I see the OP's side of things, but at the same time you must be single.
Maybe in NYC or Chicago. The vast majority got along just fine without talking to someone every 35 seconds.
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #15
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I admire the OP for not needing one. I fought the cell phone deal forever then I finally got an old school flip phone. Used that forever then switched to an IPhone. Talk about a change.
I have to admit, I enjoy the convenience of the IPhone. I would definitely dump my land line though if I got just a little bit better service where I live.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.