Nissan Xterra - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Nissan Xterra

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 06-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #31
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anything has potential to be ugly when the body is 3" off the frame with nothing but air between the frame and body lol

Even a jeep..

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #32
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Anything over 1.5" unless it's a big mud bogger or trail rig looks like total **** IMNSHO.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #33
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really see why the Xterra is Nissan's "off road" vehicle. I like the locking rear diff option but it still has the IFS and the rear end is leaf-sprung. Plus the body is just huge and full of parts that are vestigial. I think the pathfinder would make a much better off-roader. I mean, it still has the IFS like any soccer mom SUV is going to, but it does has coils front and rear and the body is a whole lot smaller than the Xterra.

My ex girlfriend's mother had one of these and ruined her Xterra's transmission by backing over a small water meter cover that was maybe 6" off the ground. It's obviously not designed to smash into a steel pipe but that's been my experience off the road.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #34
XJ-Queen
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchrider View Post
I don't really see why the Xterra is Nissan's "off road" vehicle. I like the locking rear diff option but it still has the IFS and the rear end is leaf-sprung. Plus the body is just huge and full of parts that are vestigial. I think the pathfinder would make a much better off-roader. I mean, it still has the IFS like any soccer mom SUV is going to, but it does has coils front and rear and the body is a whole lot smaller than the Xterra.

My ex girlfriend's mother had one of these and ruined her Xterra's transmission by backing over a small water meter cover that was maybe 6" off the ground. It's obviously not designed to smash into a steel pipe but that's been my experience off the road.
hey man many a toyotas were IFS and those things crawl. SA and IFS both have their own pros and cons.

Clubxterra.org check it out most you guys would change your opinions after seeing some of the rigs there on trails. There are a couple on there I would put up against any Jeep any day any trail. All this coming from a Jeep person
XJ-Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #35
rosco1

the 2nd gen nissans sit really low, even fourbys. i gots the cal****ty drop bracket kit on my frontier, its ok. im waitin to get some actual rear springs and some coilovers to make it perform better, or as good as it can with ifs. i can post up some pis if youd like
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #36
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Queen View Post
hey man many a toyotas were IFS and those things crawl. SA and IFS both have their own pros and cons.

A lot of people who have IFS and like to play in rocks do a soilid axle converion

Clubxterra.org check it out most you guys would change your opinions after seeing some of the rigs there on trails. There are a couple on there I would put up against any Jeep any day any trail. All this coming from a Jeep person
It seems to me that you like xterras better than jeeps

My friends brother has an xterra, and i think it would make a pretty sweet expidition rig. But that being said, id take my jeep over his xterra any day.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #37
Hurley91

If anyone is thinking of buying one, then use this video as a guide to get a good price.

YouTube - Dwight Buys Andy's Xterra

Last edited by Hurley91; 08-15-2010 at 05:48 PM..
Hurley91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #38
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyViking View Post
Who makes a decent lift for them, that isn't going to cost me three arms, a leg and my firstborn son?
I had a rancho 2.5" SL and a 2" Body lift on mine with 33's....a 2002.

There is ALOT of trimming to do to fit anything bigger than a 30-31" tire even
with lifts.

Then I got the JK.....

Looks line a totally different vehicle now......

ˇɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #39
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

The yellow one looks good. That's done cleanly. But next to the Jeep it's non comparison
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #40
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah...it's striking me that modifying an Xterra, while the end result would look nice and probably still be very capable, is more of a pain in the *** and not very cost-effective when I can just get a newer Cherokee, spend a lot less, and potentially have more offroad capability.

I think I'll stick with Jeep for now. Thanks for your feedback, everyone!
[QUOTE=Rob99]You can't post a thread in GD and expect only responses that you like. People have opinions. If you don't want to hear opinions, go have a conversation with yourself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]After allegedly failing a sobriety test, Donald Duck was taken into custody.[/QUOTE]
[CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"]Do evil every day. You may not change the world, but you'll have fun.[/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Halmotors on the PS3 network
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #41
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyViking View Post
Yeah...it's striking me that modifying an Xterra, while the end result would look nice and probably still be very capable, is more of a pain in the *** and not very cost-effective when I can just get a newer Cherokee, spend a lot less, and potentially have more offroad capability.

I think I'll stick with Jeep for now. Thanks for your feedback, everyone!
I agree. Modifying the JK was 10x easier than the Xterra, and cheaper....

ˇɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #42
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I like them and would consider owning one if I don't wait for a Rubicon...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #43
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I wheel with a couple of them, the front doesnt cycle and the core supports eventually crack to pieces. both of my buddies front ends have fallen apart after a couple years of wheeling. the drivetrain is solid and theres a good aftermarket following.
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #44
MomyToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco1 View Post
the 2nd gen nissans sit really low, even fourbys. i gots the cal****ty drop bracket kit on my frontier, its ok. im waitin to get some actual rear springs and some coilovers to make it perform better, or as good as it can with ifs. i can post up some pis if youd like
I bought a Frontier and was going to have to mortgage my house and sell my kids to get any decent lift on the thing. I also couldn't fit a midget in the back seat.
Sold it and bought my 6th trusty 92 4runner. Put 4 inches of lift, Dana front and rear and 35's for less than the cost of two Frontier Payments. I dont have a Jeep cuz I need a daily driver so depending on the trail I either take my Toy or hop a ride with my family with a Jeep.
MomyToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
bumzo1
2005 WK 

I was looking at xterras a few months ago. I decided to get the GC instead because they were nicer and had more features for the same price.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.