Nissan Xterra - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Nissan Xterra

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nissan Xterra

How are these with light to moderate offroad work? They seem like they'd be fairly strong offroad. Or are they Liberty-esque, and not worth the time and money?

[QUOTE=Rob99]You can't post a thread in GD and expect only responses that you like. People have opinions. If you don't want to hear opinions, go have a conversation with yourself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]After allegedly failing a sobriety test, Donald Duck was taken into custody.[/QUOTE]
[CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"]Do evil every day. You may not change the world, but you'll have fun.[/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Halmotors on the PS3 network
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
-Zona-

I concur, I've seen some bad mother ****in XTerra's out there before.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
jbrem
2005 WK 

They're not bad for light to moderate stuff. About 3 years ago I was in a group of about 12 xterras while wheeling and they seemed to hold their own. But 6 of them fried their alternators.
jbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

They are ok, they like to roll.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

I used to have one. was lifted with 33's.
Like already said, good for light to moderate wheeling.
and yes the alternator (at least on mine 2002) was set really low and could get fried
just going through a deep puddle on the road.....

Suited me well, for me and the family, But the top and doors didnt come off, which is one of the many reasons I went to the JK....

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
rosco1

1st gen or 2nd gen? either is pretty decent. ive got a '07 frontier, and am awaiting a sas, if that tells you anything. the 1st gens tend to be a little mor beefy drivetrain wise, but the four liter is a powerhouse, when uncorked. also, theres not alot of gear choises for the 2nd gen rigs, with the odd ball d44 and weirdo front diff, hope this helps some
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It would be first-gen, to save some money. I'm considering swapping out my Cherokee for one, and getting my GF a Cherokee to replace her Honda and keeping it (mostly) stock. The Xterra would become my offroad/daily driver.
[QUOTE=Rob99]You can't post a thread in GD and expect only responses that you like. People have opinions. If you don't want to hear opinions, go have a conversation with yourself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]After allegedly failing a sobriety test, Donald Duck was taken into custody.[/QUOTE]
[CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"]Do evil every day. You may not change the world, but you'll have fun.[/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Halmotors on the PS3 network
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've seen 3 of them stuck on the beach this summer.

Also, that lifted one is really ugly.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
I've seen 3 of them stuck on the beach this summer.

so! maybe it was a 2wd, or the drivers didnt know what the were doing

Also, that lifted one is really ugly.
not that has nothing to do with the OPs question.
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
XJ-Queen
2001 XJ Cherokee 

check out clubxterra.org they have a bunch of nice rigs on there that are very capable if not more capable than some of the built xj's on here
XJ-Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Their burly. I have an ex that had it, perfect girlfriend vehicle.

However I also have a buddy and he took it off road once, and stock, they offer next to no clearance and you are at risk of hurting alot of body parts but, a small body lift would help that.

However I would get a patriot.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Their burly. I have an ex that had it, perfect girlfriend vehicle.

However I also have a buddy and he took it off road once, and stock, they offer next to no clearance and you are at risk of hurting alot of body parts but, a small body lift would help that.

However I would get a patriot.
hoenstly if it wasnt for my xterra i wold have never got into the whole offroading community. for me the xterra and fj fall into the exploration rigs like doing the mountain passes in Colorado and easy to medium trails.
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
They were 4wd drive. You don't drive on the beach in 2wd. They had beach tags.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
They were 4wd drive. You don't drive on the beach in 2wd. They had beach tags.
the point is saying you saw 3 stuck on the beach adds no value, ive seen lots of pics of full size trucks, jeep, hummers you name it stuck on the beach

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.