Nigerian scam attempt for a house rental - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Nigerian scam attempt for a house rental

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
pushead

Nigerian scam attempt for a house rental

So I am looking for a new house to rent on CL. I see an add which is way to good to be true but I figured it could not hurt to email them for more info. Here is what I get as a response. Oh and the name this guy uses does not even match the the owner of the house as per the warranty deed on the property. Not to bright on the scammers part. The public records are the first thing I am looking at on every home I am interested in to make sure its not in forclosure.

Hello,
Thanks for the email.

The House is still available and will only be given out to the right person that will take very good care of the place and the facilities.

Well i must let you know that the house has a lot of facilities like laundry facilities,air condition, internet and telephone access and a car park and other necessary facilities.

The Monthly Electricity Bill and Utils has been paid for up front for 1yr to this time and in the Kitchen its a gas Furnace.

I have really decided to give out the house as a result of my transfer to London, United Kingdom ,in my place of work.

I will be renting out the house for $750.00 (Including Utilities) and a security deposit of $450 and i am pet friendly for cats and dogs so $100 for pet deposit and I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but want someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it.

The Address of the property is : 7645 Chelmsford Dr

I was actually working with a Realtor earlier but noticed he increased the rent more than i expected so i told him i was going to get a new tenant myself because the way he increased the rent and deposit, the renters can't afford it and it can even scare tenants away more so, with that act, the house will be vacant for long that is why the house is still vacant till now.

So i have decided to rent it out myself that is why you can see the advert in craiglist. But he still have the sign outside.

But if you are willing to work with my situation, let me know so that we can discuss the rent further.

Cheers

Damary

Way to many red flags for me and the words chosen it sounded like I was speaking to a Nigerian friend of mine. So for fun I respond to see what the tactic is to get information.

Sent: Sun, October 24, 2010 12:27:34 PM
Subject: Re: $750 / 3br - Move In Ready (Jacksonville, FL)

Hello ,

Thanks for your email...

Well as you can see in my previous email that i am not in the country now and the lady who is supposed to show you around is in the hospital i guess it would be better if you go check it out yourself and check in through the windows and its neighborhood. if you like what you see then we continue with other formalities

Its fine if your credit is not good enough i am not after credit check but the most important thing is upkeep of the house

Regards
Damary

So the plot thickens and my curiosity is even further peaked. Hence I asked to move forward and here is what I get.

Sent: Mon, October 25, 2010 1:39:30 PM
Subject: Re: $750 / 3br - Move In Ready (Jacksonville, FL)

Hello,

Many thanks for your mail.

Do not worry if any repair arose, but you will have to take charge if anything like that comes up and then send me the bill and then i will reimburse you back from the next month rent

Please be sure to fill out the rental application form so that we can start necessary paper works and see attachment for the complete picture of the inside of the house so that you can have a better idea of what it looks like before you move in

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

"I hereby certify that all information provided is true and correct. I fully understand that my lease or rental agreement may be terminated if I have made any false, misleading or incomplete statement(s) in this application. I hereby authorize verification of all information provided in this application, including financial and credit information, via credit bureaus and/or contact with current and previous employers, current and previous landlords and personal references. By signing this online application I certify and agree to these terms and conditions."

Any one with * is compulsory

Home Rental Application

First Name:: * -------------------------------------------------

Last Name:: * ----------------------------------------------------

Work Email:: *---------------------------------------------------

Personal Email:: *----------------------------------------------

Home Phone: * --------------------------------------------------

Work Phone:*------------------------------------------------------

Cell Phone:* -------------------------------------------------------

Property Address: *----------------------------------------------

Social Security Number: ------------------------------------

Drivers License Number:-------------------------------------

Current Address: *----------------------------------------------

Employer: * -------------------------------------------------------

Employer Phone #: * ------------------------------

Length of Employment: * --------------------------

How Often: * -------------------------------------

Income: * ---------------------------------------

Additional Occupants & Ages: * --------------------------------------

Pets: * ------------------

Do You Smoke?* --------------------------

Evictions: * -----------------------------

Felony Charges: * -----------------------

Bankruptcy: * ----------------------------

3 Personal Refernces/Names & Numbers: -------------------------------------------------------------

How Long Lease are you looking for : * ---------------------------

When do you intend Moving in :* ---------------------------------

Applicant Signature ( Write your Name) : * ---------------------------

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that I can have it in my file incase of issuing the receipt and contacting you.

Await your reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you so that you can possible occupy the house now.

My Number: + 44 704 57 45 138

Regards.

Damary and John

There has to be some realy stupid people in this world to fall for this. In the interem I used a free trace program on the email and it shows it originated in Legos Nigeria.

Unread 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

very nice.....

hey, whats the free e-mail trace program you speak of?
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
very nice.....

hey, whats the free e-mail trace program you speak of?
Email Trace - Trace Email and find out who is the email owner. Email address header trace.

Just follow the instructions on the page. It is prety amazing. It even pulled up a google aerial map of his location.
Unread 10-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The latest scam for rentals here in slo cal....

You find a house for rent, say a 4 bedroom with a three car garage, pool, newer home in a great neighborhood for around $1800. Sound's good for socal.
So you go meet with the owner, he says your credit check is not necessary because in this time foreclosures are rampant and people are BK'ing so nobody has good credit anyway.
So he says the rent is $1800 and the deposit is $1800. You sign the lease agreement for the year and give the guy a check for $3600 and move in on the first.
A couple months later, there is a notice on the door that the house is in the final stage of foreclosure and must be vacated within 30 days.
You paid rent to the owner, he legally took the rent because the house was his at the time you rented it, and you paid him a couple month's rent, but he wasn't paying the mortgage so you are out.
I just rented a house to somebody and this is the story I heard several times from people looking at my rental. BTW: none of them got their deposits back either.
Pretty screwed up.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think you should E-Mail him back and ask him how he likes living in Nigeria. I bet you don't get a response.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
bumzo1
2005 WK 

My dad owns a couple rental houses and someone used his house to make a posting like that. A lady interested in it actually looked up my dad in the tax records and called him and thats how we found out about it. I hope no one fell for it.
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/khaki-wk-club-join-now-1120966/"][COLOR="green"]Khaki WK Club Member #1[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER]OIIIIIIIO[/CENTER]

[COLOR="Blue"]THANK YOU SARAHDACTYL FOR THE UPGRADE :D[/COLOR]
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Too bad you couldn't contact the Legos Nigeria police and give them the tracking info, and have them stop in and beat them with those big sticks nigerians carry around.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
CmmdrDan

take a screen capture of the map and email him the picture of his location wit a big **** you in the corner
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
The latest scam for rentals here in slo cal....

You find a house for rent, say a 4 bedroom with a three car garage, pool, newer home in a great neighborhood for around $1800. Sound's good for socal.
So you go meet with the owner, he says your credit check is not necessary because in this time foreclosures are rampant and people are BK'ing so nobody has good credit anyway.
So he says the rent is $1800 and the deposit is $1800. You sign the lease agreement for the year and give the guy a check for $3600 and move in on the first.
A couple months later, there is a notice on the door that the house is in the final stage of foreclosure and must be vacated within 30 days.
You paid rent to the owner, he legally took the rent because the house was his at the time you rented it, and you paid him a couple month's rent, but he wasn't paying the mortgage so you are out.
I just rented a house to somebody and this is the story I heard several times from people looking at my rental. BTW: none of them got their deposits back either.
Pretty screwed up.
Fortunatly I am familiar with how to look up forclosures and property ownership. Both are public information so the first few things I do is look up who owns the house then I look for any Lis Pendes or unusal action by the mortgage holder if any.
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushead View Post
Fortunatly I am familiar with how to look up forclosures and property ownership. Both are public information so the first few things I do is look up who owns the house then I look for any Lis Pendes or unusal action by the mortgage holder if any.
YOU do, but most don't. People trust the homeowner. He's got the keys, he's filling out the lease agreement, he's signing the lease agreement, you are excited to have such a nice house at a great price.
People are scamming people more than ever before.
I ran five different checks on the renters I just leased my other house to. Including Megan's Law website. I doubt they ran any checks on me.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.