NFL playoffs - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > NFL playoffs

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #61
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Say the Super Bowl ends up being the Colts/Saints. Two great QB's light it up for 35+ points and the game goes into OT. One team wins the coin toss, drives 35-40 yards, kicks the FG and it's game over. The other QB never even gets to set foot on the field. To me it just seems wrong for a game to end that way and I doubt very few people would enjoy a Super Bowl ending in such fashion.

You'll always hear how any time a defense holds a team to a FG in the red zone how it's a "win for the defense" but that doesn't really apply when they stop the opponent outside the 30 and lose to some glorified soccer player who's performing the equivalent of a free throw from the three point line (unless Romo is holding).

I don't care how they do it, but something needs to be done. Every other sport with an overtime system allows both teams an opportunity. There's a reason the team that wins the coin toss *always* elects to receive.
In a case like that, then the Team whose defense is on the filed first in OT could not stop the other QB and deserves to lose, they are the weaker team, or they could of stopped them one more time in Regular time.

Also, for that situation, we would end up at the end of OT with both teams having scored 14 pts each and just prolong the game. And when someone would eventually win, it would be by a FG anyway.

That is why you narrow the goalposts, so the offense has more work to do.

I dont think the NFL wants to get into these 7 OT games like NCAA does. That is for the birds.

Either Score or stop the other team from scoring, Be the better team and you will win.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #62
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That was my point. In a shootout where neither team can really put up much resistance to keep the other from scoring, it seems rather lame to have it settled by who gets into kicking range first. Maybe they could just prohibit FG attempts unless a team gets inside the 20, and they have to kick it from a hash.

You're clearly in the minority beacuse I don't know very many people who are fans of the current OT system in the NFL. Defenses are gassed after 4 quarters and very very very very few teams are going to be much of a problem, especially if they just got driven on to end regulation only to have to take the field again at the start of OT.

It's football, so there are no 'gimmies', but I'd still like to see both teams get a shot regardless. I don't really like the NCAA's system either, but it's better than nothing.
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #63
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well i think the fact that the game will end in a FG anyways has a lot to do with it. Whether it be at end of Regulation, or on the first possesion of OT. How many games themselves are won/lost by FG in the last seconds of games anyways. Then the other offense has only a few seconds left, which is basically them not getting another chance to try and score, Just that it is in Regular time.

I know I am in the minority, but I dont think prolonging games is the answer. I like your suggestion about not allowing FG. That should be closer that the 20, or not at all....

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #64
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think the problem is that kickers are too good these days. The system is actually fine, but now K is a player position, not like the days when Jim Thorpe or George Blanda were playing multiple positions and K.

In any case, I can't wait for the playoffs. All of the bowl games have sucked but I'd wouldn't mind if Alabama won tonight.
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #65
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Lets not forget that the Colts were the ones that got this whole 5 yard chuck rule, dont jam the WR thing going. "The Patriots corners are hitting too hard, they are being too rough, Waaa Waaa." Bill Polian and the Colts are the biggest whiney babies on the planet. Ive got tons of respect for Manning as a player, but hes the biggest baby there is. As for predictions, Pats make it past the Ravens but I think thats as far as they get. I hate to say it but I think the Jets win, Packers in a blow out..like a 35-3 game, and Philly beats the Boys. Chargers/Saints in the big game with Drew getting spanked by his old team.
CapeCodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #66
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What about the Brady rule. Touch a QB and you get a flag? 15 yards and automatic first down.
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #67
Slenny
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That was my point. In a shootout where neither team can really put up much resistance to keep the other from scoring, it seems rather lame to have it settled by who gets into kicking range first. Maybe they could just prohibit FG attempts unless a team gets inside the 20, and they have to kick it from a hash.
Bah, let it end it a tie so everybody is a winner
Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #68
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ill just say i HATE the OT rules for NFL.
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #69
77j20
1977 J-Series Truck 

Green Bay all the way. GO PACKERS!!!!
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #70
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
Bah, let it end it a tie so everybody is a winner
Meh. Ties are like kissing AlTheKiller's sister.

Wait, what?
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #71
Slenny
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Meh. Ties are like kissing AlTheKiller's sister.

Wait, what?
Pics?........
Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #72
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99goldxj View Post
What about the Brady rule. Touch a QB and you get a flag? 15 yards and automatic first down.
Thats not the Brady Rule. The wussification of the NFL was going on long before Brady. Pretty soon there is going to be a penalty for tackling too hard. Or a 15 yarder for "Hurt Feelings"
CapeCodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #73
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpmann View Post

Meaningless games are hard to judge.....
what game was meaningless?
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #74
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not really. Look what the Steelers did to Carson Palmer in the playoffs a few years ago. There wasn't even a flag for that. Brady's single-handedly got the pansy QB rule and the tuck rule in full force now.
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #75
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91YJ4X4 View Post
what game was meaningless?
just hope your not trying to say that philly/dallas game was meaningless for philly. They had alot at stake, so hope your not downplaying Dallas DESTROYING Philthy for a shut out

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.