NFL players and suicide - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > NFL players and suicide

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #61
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ
The pads and helmets aren't the problem, it's improper tackling technique. Too many defenders use their helmet as the primary point of contact (when velocity and energy momentum are at their peaks) and too often aim at their opponent's helmets. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in nearly all instances when an injury occurs, it was deliberate and intentional.
This is too true, even in high-school and pop-warner football. I have a ****ed up knee due to some little prick diving head first into my knee. It was intentional as well because he was supposed to be blocking me not tackling because I was on defense.
Get rid of the helmets and pads and players won't tackle as hard or use their head as a weapon in the game.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #62
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://deadspin.com/5907297/the-nigh...with-a-ukulele
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #63
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
On my final day of a business trip last year to the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., I was walking along the Oceanside Harbor in search of a place to eat and have a few beers. In the mood for something simple I had hoped to find a small bar that served food and was not too crowded. I came across exactly that—a small bar with maybe six customers inside. Sitting next to me at the bar were three large men of Samoan decent who were laughing and having a good time with the bartender. I wasn't sure at first, but then after a double-take it clicked in my head that I was sitting with Junior Seau. He was a monster of a man, wearing a ball cap and all smiles. I couldn't believe that I was sitting next to one of my favorite football players growing up as a kid. The same linebacker that I impersonated for years on all my football video games.

After a few minutes, the older of the three Samoan men had asked what I was up to in Oceanside and I had told him that I was a Captain in the Marines headed back to my home station at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Junior Seau interrupted and said, "Wow, man. I really admire what you do. You guys are real heroes." Starstruck for a moment, I didn't know how to respond. Did one of my childhood heroes really just call me a hero? He did indeed, and refused to let me pay for my dinner or any more drinks for the night. I was surprised to find out that Junior Seau was not only a former member of the Patriots, he was an American patriot.

Junior then introduced me to the other two men sitting with him, his cousin and his uncle. I couldn't believe how sincerely interested Junior and his family were about my military service. They asked about helicopters, machine guns, parachuting and even expressed gratitude towards military families and specifically spouses for enduring such hardship during a time of war.

After a couple of hours of talking, Junior then began to brag about his musical talent. That he had sat "first chair" in his high school band and that was something most people didn't know about him. I called him on it and he was up to the challenge. Junior said, "You sit right there, Captain, I'm gonna go to my car and get my ukulele. We're gonna spread some joy around here." I didn't know it at the time, but over the next two hours the way in which I look at football players would be changed forever.

Junior returned to the bar with his Ukulele and started to play. The tune from "Brown-Eyed Girl" was coming from Junior's Ukulele at it was surprisingly good. Then, he started to sing ... and he was amazing. One of the most ferocious tacklers in the history of football was playing a ukulele in an empty bar at 11:00 p.m. and serenading the few that remained. He then started to play some more and his cousin and uncle joined in the chorus. They were a harmonic family full of melodies ... and they were good—real good.

We sat there for another two hours, talking, listening to Junior and his uncle play the ukulele and having a good time. Time and again, Junior thanked me for my service and reminded me how proud he was that his hometown was in the heart of Marine Corps territory, just outside Camp Pendleton. I tried to remind Junior that I was the one that was thankful for the evening. That I was amazed at how real of a person Junior Seau was and not just No. 55 on my television screen on Sunday afternoons. Junior Seau was a man of smiles, laughter, family, respect and he loved his country.

It's troubling to hear of the passing of another great NFL football player at an age so young. But I'm especially sad to hear that it was Junior Seau who had passed. A man who for one evening last year I had the opportunity to meet and come to admire. The day after I met Junior last year, I began to follow his non-football charity exploits and grew to respect him even further.

I hope this story will aid in an attempt to remember not only a linebacker but a fun, loving person as well.

Albert S. Flores Jr.

Yeah we shouldn't care that a guy like that's gone
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #64
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post

Yeah we shouldn't care that a guy like that's gone
That was an awesome story and it doesn't surprise me in the least. Like I said in an earlier post, I had the fortune of meeting him several times over the years. He was a class act all the way. Thanks for sharing that
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #65
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon
And Zach it turned into this because of idiots wanting to stroke themselves such as 5-90. Zach YOU know as much as anyone how patriotic I am. But BELIEVE IT OR NOT athletes still can be incredibly inspirational Heros to some. You don't know a GOD DAMN thing about Seau 5-90. You're just too ****ing smart for your own good.
For sure dude. Ive looked up to a couple sports figures when I was growing up playing hockey. Nick Lidstrom and Stevie Y being a couple of them. People just cant have some damn respect when it comes to these guys. Especially when they die. They act like its some other crackhead celeb who overdosed in their bathtub. Junior was a good player and should be recognized as such. Then again this is jeepforum, where everyone tries to act like a hardass because they want to be like pirate. Stay classy, JF. I bet if someone insulted the intelligence of a soldier who committed suicide in Afghanistan because of PTSD you guys would be all ****ing over them. Granted this isnt the exact same situation but comes down to having some ****ing respect.
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #66
gmsnacks
2006 WK 

The funding for research concerning concussions has seen a dramatic increase in recent years, expect continued changes in the game for the foreseeable future.
gmsnacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #67
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnacks View Post
The funding for research concerning concussions has seen a dramatic increase in recent years, expect continued changes in the game for the foreseeable future.
Friend of mine is a postdoctoral fellow with the Department of the Army does research on PTSD and neuroscience. You'd be amazed at how much pushback she has to deal with from the Army and how many of the higher ups still have a hard time believing in PTSD and that it can drive an otherwise normal well adjusted person to go ape****.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #68
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

It's always sad to see a good person take their own life but I'm not any more sad about Seau than I am about any one else.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just remembered there was an incident a couple years ago when Junior was supposed to have fallen asleep at the wheel and drove off a cliff. Guessing that was a previous and unsuccessful attemp.

story here. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699659
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #70
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcofc View Post
Friend of mine is a postdoctoral fellow with the Department of the Army does research on PTSD and neuroscience. You'd be amazed at how much pushback she has to deal with from the Army and how many of the higher ups still have a hard time believing in PTSD and that it can drive an otherwise normal well adjusted person to go ape****.
Tell me about it.

I've long since managed to stop crawling through the house while sleeping with a knife in my hand, but I do still sometimes wake up screaming and in a cold sweat (or worse, not wake up screaming. Yesterday was a particularly bad day for me, I was in a horribly dangerous state of mind. And, I had to go downtown...)

Don't tell me PTSD isn't real - it's as real as a kick in the sack. It's every bit as real as becoming sensitive to barometric pressure changes when you have old fractures (shattered face, neck in two places, a dozen or so ribs, right shoulder reconstruction, stress Fx in both tibiae, bad knee, pelvic Fx, ...) or becoming sensitive to RFI/EMI (800-900MHz band and K-band - as used for RADAR - in particular. I'm fighting with PG&E to not get a "smart" electrical meter installed, because it works in the 800MHz band, and I don't want a headache generator stuck on the back of my house. A walk-through magnetometer leaves me feeling like someone is pounding out horseshoes on my head, I'd rather lay down and take the X-ray machine instead.)

There's a lot of "pushback" because the Army doesn't want to admit that it is a problem, and that it is a potentially disabling condition (I'm fighting for disability now on neuropsychological grounds - combined PTSD from prior service, PTSD from a major roads incident - auto versus idiot, I was the idiot - and organic psychological after-effects from major CNS trauma.)

I consider myself neither "normal" (never really have been, to be honest) or "well-adjusted" (I'm still surprised that I wasn't suggested for 96 hours' psychiatric observation after my last neuropsych eval, and the report is very interesting reading...) but prior experiences can and do crawl up on you - those are days where I really try to not go anywhere - except, possibly, drunk (I'm a happy drunk, so it works sometimes as a "mental RESET button" for me.)
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #71
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very very interesting stuff here...
http://deadspin.com/5920006/can-scie...e-its-too-late

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.