NFL players and suicide - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > NFL players and suicide

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #46
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86
Swagger, would you like a tissue? You're the only person boo whooing about this. At the end of the day he's just another person that took his own life. How about all of the real heroes (soldiers) that take their life Bc if their jobs? We should be more concerned about preventing that. Without them we wouldn't have an NFL. Now go ahead and start bashing me about how stupid I am.
Suicide is sad no matter who it is. It is still a taboo discussion about it. Whether it is a teenager, veteran, football player or anyone its very unfortunate.

I will not call football players or any other athlete a hero unless they actually are due to their off the field activities. Many go back into their former neighborhoods and start businesses and employ people that otherwise would have been doing who knows what.

Junior Seau Foundation is the 13th largest foundation that was ran by an athlete. Countless others run foundations including my favorite Strikeouts for troops ran by Barry Zito.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #47
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, he was a pretty large community figure in San Diego and I don't think most people who don't follow the NFL realize that. For every dozen of the players who hit their girlfriends or have 17 kids or get into shootings at night clubs, there's a Junior Seau-type who actually contributes to the public, but you don't hear about those stories as much because they don't make headlines. To say he was 'just another person who took his own life' is ignorant and unfounded. It's rather telling to see a lot of these comments come from people who don't watch the sport to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
5-90 I don't believe you were ever "too mean" for football.
He probably was, but only if he was being judged by coaches who didn't know what the hell they were doing. He could have been Gregg Williams' favorite player ever and made plenty of money on the side.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #48
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
Swagger, would you like a tissue? You're the only person boo whooing about this. At the end of the day he's just another person that took his own life. How about all of the real heroes (soldiers) that take their life Bc if their jobs? We should be more concerned about preventing that. Without them we wouldn't have an NFL. Now go ahead and start bashing me about how stupid I am.
All of this goes without even having to say you ****ing knucklehead. We all support our troops. But why does that mean that we cannot feel sorry about the fact that one of the greatest football players to ever live and a hero to a lot of people is DEAD? You are stupid. Stop comparing SOLDIERS to football players. They shouldn't even be mentioned together. But you and the other mouth breathers continue to do it.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #49
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post

He probably was, but only if he was being judged by coaches who didn't know what the hell they were doing. He could have been Gregg Williams' favorite player ever and made plenty of money on the side.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #50
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, he was a pretty large community figure in San Diego and I don't think most people who don't follow the NFL realize that. For every dozen of the players who hit their girlfriends or have 17 kids or get into shootings at night clubs, there's a Junior Seau-type who actually contributes to the public, but you don't hear about those stories as much because they don't make headlines. To say he was 'just another person who took his own life' is ignorant and unfounded. It's rather telling to see a lot of these comments come from people who don't watch the sport to begin with.

Thank you
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #51
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Junior was a genuine good guy in football. Excellent player, excellent person. It is sad that he could not find help, or hid from it. It is sad.

If you want to get rid of concussions, get rid of the helmets, get rid of the pads. But we want our football players to look like gladiators. We need big shoulders, we need warriors. That is what sells, unfortunately. Get rid of the pads and helmets and you will find less concussions.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #52
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Curious. What are the numbers of suicides among NFL players compared to the general population?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #53
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The pads and helmets aren't the problem, it's improper tackling technique. Too many defenders use their helmet as the primary point of contact (when velocity and energy momentum are at their peaks) and too often aim at their opponent's helmets. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in nearly all instances when an injury occurs, it was deliberate and intentional.

I know a lot of fans are *****ing about the penalties, fines and suspensions for helmet-to-helmet hits, but if these guys are taught to tackle properly (which should be done fundamentally from Pop Warner-level on up) and changed their approach, the injuries would plummet and the fans wouldn't even notice the difference. We're still seeing a lot of Seau-esque stories now because these retired players played in decades where blowing up someone with your helmet was a highlight, not a suspension and a fine. Hopefully the awareness of head trauma in the past few years in all levels of football lead to better tackling instruction and execution, so these players don't habitually headhunt like it's second nature; a la James Harrison "I don't know how to play any other way."

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #54
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Curious. What are the numbers of suicides among NFL players compared to the general population?
6 times the national average...
[http://www.imperfectenjoyment.com/20...-nfl-suicide/]
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #55
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon

All of this goes without even having to say you ****ing knucklehead. We all support our troops. But why does that mean that we cannot feel sorry about the fact that one of the greatest football players to ever live and a hero to a lot of people is DEAD? You are stupid. Stop comparing SOLDIERS to football players. They shouldn't even be mentioned together. But you and the other mouth breathers continue to do it.
You mad? My point is that I don't hear you defending the dead troops or any other person who has been a hero to someone for that matter. You are like the general public. Crying just because he was famous. I'm not saying its not unfortunate. Such is life. He knew the inherent risks of his job and was paid for. Ultimately paying himself for. I still have that tissue for you.
MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #56
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
Crying just because he was famous. I'm not saying its not unfortunate. Such is life. He knew the inherent risks of his job and was paid for. Ultimately paying himself for. I still have that tissue for you.
Could the same not be said for a soldier? They definitely are not paid as well as Seau, but they know the risks and they still signed up for it. A soldier's suicide is no less or more tragic than Seau's, they both are tragic. Besides I don't think he was equivocating Seau's death to be more important than that of a soldier, he was just mourning the death of a stellar athlete and community figure.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #57
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah this was a sad deal Jr seau was my all time fav player. Rip
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #58
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
The pads and helmets aren't the problem, it's improper tackling technique. Too many defenders use their helmet as the primary point of contact (when velocity and energy momentum are at their peaks) and too often aim at their opponent's helmets. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in nearly all instances when an injury occurs, it was deliberate and intentional.
I agree that proper tackling would help the problem. I am merely suggesting that getting rid of the pads and helmets would promote proper tackling.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #59
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The American flag stickers on my Jeep and the Don't Tread On Me flag that sits above my head in my living room are constant reminders of how thankful I am of our troops. I don't need to defend them. The troops shouldn't have even been brought into this.
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #60
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcofc View Post
Could the same not be said for a soldier? They definitely are not paid as well as Seau, but they know the risks and they still signed up for it. A soldier's suicide is no less or more tragic than Seau's, they both are tragic. Besides I don't think he was equivocating Seau's death to be more important than that of a soldier, he was just mourning the death of a stellar athlete and community figure.
THANK YOU!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.