NFL players and suicide - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
nwiTJdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86
Swagger, would you like a tissue? You're the only person boo whooing about this. At the end of the day he's just another person that took his own life. How about all of the real heroes (soldiers) that take their life Bc if their jobs? We should be more concerned about preventing that. Without them we wouldn't have an NFL. Now go ahead and start bashing me about how stupid I am.
Suicide is sad no matter who it is. It is still a taboo discussion about it. Whether it is a teenager, veteran, football player or anyone its very unfortunate.

I will not call football players or any other athlete a hero unless they actually are due to their off the field activities. Many go back into their former neighborhoods and start businesses and employ people that otherwise would have been doing who knows what.

Junior Seau Foundation is the 13th largest foundation that was ran by an athlete. Countless others run foundations including my favorite Strikeouts for troops ran by Barry Zito.

www.militaryjeepers.com

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:01 AM
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,540
Yeah, he was a pretty large community figure in San Diego and I don't think most people who don't follow the NFL realize that. For every dozen of the players who hit their girlfriends or have 17 kids or get into shootings at night clubs, there's a Junior Seau-type who actually contributes to the public, but you don't hear about those stories as much because they don't make headlines. To say he was 'just another person who took his own life' is ignorant and unfounded. It's rather telling to see a lot of these comments come from people who don't watch the sport to begin with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
5-90 I don't believe you were ever "too mean" for football.
He probably was, but only if he was being judged by coaches who didn't know what the hell they were doing. He could have been Gregg Williams' favorite player ever and made plenty of money on the side.
PhilipJ is offline  
post #48 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
Swagger, would you like a tissue? You're the only person boo whooing about this. At the end of the day he's just another person that took his own life. How about all of the real heroes (soldiers) that take their life Bc if their jobs? We should be more concerned about preventing that. Without them we wouldn't have an NFL. Now go ahead and start bashing me about how stupid I am.
All of this goes without even having to say you ****ing knucklehead. We all support our troops. But why does that mean that we cannot feel sorry about the fact that one of the greatest football players to ever live and a hero to a lot of people is DEAD? You are stupid. Stop comparing SOLDIERS to football players. They shouldn't even be mentioned together. But you and the other mouth breathers continue to do it.

Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline  
post #49 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post



He probably was, but only if he was being judged by coaches who didn't know what the hell they were doing. He could have been Gregg Williams' favorite player ever and made plenty of money on the side.

Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline  
post #50 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Yeah, he was a pretty large community figure in San Diego and I don't think most people who don't follow the NFL realize that. For every dozen of the players who hit their girlfriends or have 17 kids or get into shootings at night clubs, there's a Junior Seau-type who actually contributes to the public, but you don't hear about those stories as much because they don't make headlines. To say he was 'just another person who took his own life' is ignorant and unfounded. It's rather telling to see a lot of these comments come from people who don't watch the sport to begin with.


Thank you

Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline  
post #51 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 AM
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome
 
AKABOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TXK, TX
Posts: 529
Junior was a genuine good guy in football. Excellent player, excellent person. It is sad that he could not find help, or hid from it. It is sad.

If you want to get rid of concussions, get rid of the helmets, get rid of the pads. But we want our football players to look like gladiators. We need big shoulders, we need warriors. That is what sells, unfortunately. Get rid of the pads and helmets and you will find less concussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Popper;
Sitting in clover looking for the fifth leaf. Something soon will come my way.
AKABOB is offline  
post #52 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
Curious. What are the numbers of suicides among NFL players compared to the general population?

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #53 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 AM
PhilipJ
Registered User
 
PhilipJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,540
The pads and helmets aren't the problem, it's improper tackling technique. Too many defenders use their helmet as the primary point of contact (when velocity and energy momentum are at their peaks) and too often aim at their opponent's helmets. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in nearly all instances when an injury occurs, it was deliberate and intentional.

I know a lot of fans are *****ing about the penalties, fines and suspensions for helmet-to-helmet hits, but if these guys are taught to tackle properly (which should be done fundamentally from Pop Warner-level on up) and changed their approach, the injuries would plummet and the fans wouldn't even notice the difference. We're still seeing a lot of Seau-esque stories now because these retired players played in decades where blowing up someone with your helmet was a highlight, not a suspension and a fine. Hopefully the awareness of head trauma in the past few years in all levels of football lead to better tackling instruction and execution, so these players don't habitually headhunt like it's second nature; a la James Harrison "I don't know how to play any other way."
PhilipJ is offline  
post #54 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
mattcofc
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Curious. What are the numbers of suicides among NFL players compared to the general population?
6 times the national average...
[http://www.imperfectenjoyment.com/20...-nfl-suicide/]
mattcofc is offline  
post #55 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM
MIjeep86
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Monroe
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon

All of this goes without even having to say you ****ing knucklehead. We all support our troops. But why does that mean that we cannot feel sorry about the fact that one of the greatest football players to ever live and a hero to a lot of people is DEAD? You are stupid. Stop comparing SOLDIERS to football players. They shouldn't even be mentioned together. But you and the other mouth breathers continue to do it.
You mad? My point is that I don't hear you defending the dead troops or any other person who has been a hero to someone for that matter. You are like the general public. Crying just because he was famous. I'm not saying its not unfortunate. Such is life. He knew the inherent risks of his job and was paid for. Ultimately paying himself for. I still have that tissue for you.
MIjeep86 is offline  
post #56 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM
mattcofc
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
Crying just because he was famous. I'm not saying its not unfortunate. Such is life. He knew the inherent risks of his job and was paid for. Ultimately paying himself for. I still have that tissue for you.
Could the same not be said for a soldier? They definitely are not paid as well as Seau, but they know the risks and they still signed up for it. A soldier's suicide is no less or more tragic than Seau's, they both are tragic. Besides I don't think he was equivocating Seau's death to be more important than that of a soldier, he was just mourning the death of a stellar athlete and community figure.
mattcofc is offline  
post #57 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM
wildride89
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 341
Yeah this was a sad deal Jr seau was my all time fav player. Rip
wildride89 is offline  
post #58 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome
 
AKABOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TXK, TX
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
The pads and helmets aren't the problem, it's improper tackling technique. Too many defenders use their helmet as the primary point of contact (when velocity and energy momentum are at their peaks) and too often aim at their opponent's helmets. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in nearly all instances when an injury occurs, it was deliberate and intentional.
I agree that proper tackling would help the problem. I am merely suggesting that getting rid of the pads and helmets would promote proper tackling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Popper;
Sitting in clover looking for the fifth leaf. Something soon will come my way.
AKABOB is offline  
post #59 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
The American flag stickers on my Jeep and the Don't Tread On Me flag that sits above my head in my living room are constant reminders of how thankful I am of our troops. I don't need to defend them. The troops shouldn't have even been brought into this.

Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline  
post #60 of 71 Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcofc View Post
Could the same not be said for a soldier? They definitely are not paid as well as Seau, but they know the risks and they still signed up for it. A soldier's suicide is no less or more tragic than Seau's, they both are tragic. Besides I don't think he was equivocating Seau's death to be more important than that of a soldier, he was just mourning the death of a stellar athlete and community figure.
THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome