NFL players and suicide - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > NFL players and suicide

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The guys know the possible consequences when they play and when it happens, it happens. You don't see them doing anything to protect a welders eyes other than welding shields. You think they have perfect vision the rest of their lives? How about the roofers getting skin cancer? Its all part of the game. Gotta pay to play.

I say let 'em juice up with steroids and become massive killing machines. Make it more entertaining for us.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Junior Seau is the latest player to apparently commit suicide today.

With all the new studies regarding concussions, how soon before football is outlawed?
If concussions make one suicidal, why am I still around? I quit counting at a round dozen concussions, and I've also been hit in the head hard enough to shatter my face and break my neck in two places.

(Yes, I'm talking about actual concussive injury to the brain, caused either by blunt-force trauma, impact, or overpressure waves. If I were counting simply being hit in the head, I'd probably have stopped at a hundred or so. I have proven myself to have a very hard head...)

Suicidal tendencies are more about personality and psychology than physiology due to trauma - although lingering post-traumatic pain can be a minor causative factor, it's still the personality flaws that make one suicidal or not.

As far as football - who cares?

And, I'm tired of hearing the word "tragedy" being misappropriated by the talking heads on the news (which news is itself suspect in the first place.)

A "tragedy" is a literary work in which the protagonist meets his undoing primarily due to his own character flaws. Oedipus Rex is a tragedy. The Illiad is a tragedy.

Someone committing suicide is not a tragedy. That doesn't make it any less bad for the people involved - but if we're all going to use the same words, can we all agree to use them the same way? Sorry, but the misappropriation of "tragedy" is a personal pet peeve of mine (the misappropriation of "billet" by marketing is another. "Machined from billet" is a more accurate term - a "billet" is, in metal, a mill shape for finished raw wrought stock. Militarily, a "billet" is a place to live and sleep. Neither reflects an actual finished product.)

I can attest that concussions won't make one suicidal in an of themselves - I've taken far more hits to the head than most football players will ever have to worry about, without a helmet, and I've had a permanent headache since 2007. My neurologist and I have seen enough pictures of the inside of my head that I can probably sketch it from memory, I have EEGs in my medical files behind me, and it's ended up listed as "post-traumatic headache of unknown etiology." Norco, Percocet and Vicodin are of minimal help, although I've had good results with massive doses of caffeine when it gets bad (sometimes taking four or five No-Doz is the only thing that lets me get to sleep, paradoxically...)

But, I'm sure I'm going to hear about this guy offing himself for the next fortnight or so, whether I want to or not (I honestly don't want to - I've got enough to deal with on my own.)

"Suicide is the most sincere form of self-expression."

(And I have personally known - and known rather well - three people who have suicided. In no case was prior injury - CNS or general - a factor.)
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
The guys know the possible consequences when they play and when it happens, it happens. You don't see them doing anything to protect a welders eyes other than welding shields. You think they have perfect vision the rest of their lives? How about the roofers getting skin cancer? Its all part of the game. Gotta pay to play.

I say let 'em juice up with steroids and become massive killing machines. Make it more entertaining for us.
Nobody pays to watch a welder weld. Kids don't have posters of welders on their walls.

Guys like Duerson had CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). His brain was rotting away and he knew it, so he offed himself too. The only way you can diagnose CTE is by posthumously examining the brain.

I'll bet the same thing or something similar happened to Junior Seau, and it sucks. The brain degeneration is similar to Alzheimer's.

Saying that we shouldn't be so sympathetic towards Seau... that "he knew what could happen yet he still did it"

#1 When Seau first began his career, no, he nor the league did NOT know what kind of complications could be incurred from years of viscous blows to the head. They were beginning to get an idea, but we are light years ahead nowadays when it comes to brain and head injuries.

#2 When soldiers enlist in the military, they know there's a possibility that they could be KIA. Are you saying we should not feel sympathetic towards them, because "they knew there was a possibility" ?
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
babble babble babble
I can attest that concussions won't make one suicidal in an of themselves who cares
DUH!!! You think we didn't know that?

It's the depression and brain degeneration that occurs after YEARS of brain shaking hits.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
If concussions make one suicidal, why am I still around? I quit counting at a round dozen concussions, and I've also been hit in the head hard enough to shatter my face and break my neck in two places.

(Yes, I'm talking about actual concussive injury to the brain, caused either by blunt-force trauma, impact, or overpressure waves. If I were counting simply being hit in the head, I'd probably have stopped at a hundred or so. I have proven myself to have a very hard head...)

Suicidal tendencies are more about personality and psychology than physiology due to trauma - although lingering post-traumatic pain can be a minor causative factor, it's still the personality flaws that make one suicidal or not.

As far as football - who cares?

And, I'm tired of hearing the word "tragedy" being misappropriated by the talking heads on the news (which news is itself suspect in the first place.)

A "tragedy" is a literary work in which the protagonist meets his undoing primarily due to his own character flaws. Oedipus Rex is a tragedy. The Illiad is a tragedy.

Someone committing suicide is not a tragedy. That doesn't make it any less bad for the people involved - but if we're all going to use the same words, can we all agree to use them the same way? Sorry, but the misappropriation of "tragedy" is a personal pet peeve of mine (the misappropriation of "billet" by marketing is another. "Machined from billet" is a more accurate term - a "billet" is, in metal, a mill shape for finished raw wrought stock. Militarily, a "billet" is a place to live and sleep. Neither reflects an actual finished product.)

I can attest that concussions won't make one suicidal in an of themselves - I've taken far more hits to the head than most football players will ever have to worry about, without a helmet, and I've had a permanent headache since 2007. My neurologist and I have seen enough pictures of the inside of my head that I can probably sketch it from memory, I have EEGs in my medical files behind me, and it's ended up listed as "post-traumatic headache of unknown etiology." Norco, Percocet and Vicodin are of minimal help, although I've had good results with massive doses of caffeine when it gets bad (sometimes taking four or five No-Doz is the only thing that lets me get to sleep, paradoxically...)

But, I'm sure I'm going to hear about this guy offing himself for the next fortnight or so, whether I want to or not (I honestly don't want to - I've got enough to deal with on my own.)

"Suicide is the most sincere form of self-expression."

(And I have personally known - and known rather well - three people who have suicided. In no case was prior injury - CNS or general - a factor.)

Just because your head injures didn't make you suicidal (yet) doesn't mean it is not possible.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can I just call you King of Semantics 5-90?
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Read up, 5-90

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/sp...03duerson.html
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #23
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post

#2 When soldiers enlist in the military, they know there's a possibility that they could be KIA. Are you saying we should not feel sympathetic towards them, because "they knew there was a possibility" ?
They put their lives on the line to protect our freedom, our way of life, the opportunity to play football. Thats a completely different situation.

Ball players are just over paid, over idolized, buffoons.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
They put their lives on the line to protect our freedom, our way of life, the opportunity to play football. Thats a completely different situation.

Ball players are just over paid, over idolized, buffoons.
Facepalm. I knew I should have put a disclaimer in there... I understand that. You're argument is just a dumb one.

and professional athletes are buffoons? Really?
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
nwiTJdave

5-90 its not the actual concussions. Their brains are actually deteriorating. Read Dave Deurosins suicide note.

Back when he played, players were expected to play through concussions. You were considered weak not to. Guys today still lie about them because of the stigma that surrounds it.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe it's not the head injuries but the steroids and all the other drugs and pain killers they take; legal and not.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #27
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just not big on reality and sports stars. What makes them so special, so important that they get paid millions of dollars to throw a football for a few years? There are more people deserving of that money who do things that actually make a difference in the country/world.

And what gets me the most is when they ***** and moan about not getting paid enough money to play. Yeah, cause 10mil a year isn't enough......

Colbert 2016!
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm just not big on reality and sports stars. What makes them so special, so important that they get paid millions of dollars to throw a football for a few years? There are more people deserving of that money who do things that actually make a difference in the country/world.

And what gets me the most is when they ***** and moan about not getting paid enough money to play. Yeah, cause 10mil a year isn't enough......
They get paid to play because because it is worth it to their bosses to pay them that much. Sports are a business just like tv. Why do you think Kim Kardashian is making $40 million over the next three years? It's because her retarded *** is making the networks 10 times that much. It's the same with athletes. Albert Pujols isn't being paid a quarter of a billion dollars just because of the numbers he puts up. WIth him on the field the Angels sell more tickets and merchandise.
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
They get paid to play because because it is worth it to their bosses to pay them that much. Sports are a business just like tv. Why do you think Kim Kardashian is making $40 million over the next three years? It's because her retarded *** is making the networks 10 times that much. It's the same with athletes. Albert Pujols isn't being paid a quarter of a billion dollars just because of the numbers he puts up. WIth him on the field the Angels sell more tickets and merchandise.
This I know, which is why I'm not a fan of reality TV or many professional sports. I think its just completely and utterly stupid.
Just goes to show how easy it is to entertain the idiots who live in this country and how easy it is the get their money.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This I know, which is why I'm not a fan of reality TV or many professional sports. I think its just completely and utterly stupid.
Just goes to show how easy it is to entertain the idiots who live in this country and how easy it is the get their money.

But are you a fan of some professional sports? If so then you are contributing to the big salaries by tuning in, or buying a ticket or doing anything which helps build awareness and value in the entertainment product that we know as sports.

Some people are entertained by Jeeps, some sports, some reality tv shows, I am not sure that makes any of them idiots.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.