NFL players and suicide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > NFL players and suicide

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
nwiTJdave

Junior Seau is the latest player to apparently commit suicide today.

With all the new studies regarding concussions, how soon before football is outlawed?

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
nwiTJdave

Junior is the 8th member of the 94 super bowl champion chargers team to die.

Unread 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder how much concussions are really at fault. There is something to be said about these players typically jumping from poverty to extreme riches in a very short period of time. Having that much money takes a huge toll on people, and then again if they lose it.
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Junior is the 8th member of the 94 super bowl champion chargers team to die.
Sad...

BTW, the Chargers have never been Super Bowl Champions. They lost in the Super Bowl in the '94 season...
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Junior Seau is the latest player to apparently commit suicide today.

With all the new studies regarding concussions, how soon before football is outlawed?
If they are waiting for my vote to shut down pro ball, it's there! They can shut it down yesterday. They should play ball through college and shut it down then. That's why there are so many pro ball players that "graduated" high school and "graduated" college, yet can't read a stinking Dr. Seuss book.

They get paid millions for doing something they would be doing in the ghetto if they weren't doing it on television.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Terrible... Always even a Bears fan but Junior Seau was always one of my favorite players growing up. RIP.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91YJ4X4 View Post
I wonder how much concussions are really at fault. There is something to be said about these players typically jumping from poverty to extreme riches in a very short period of time. Having that much money takes a huge toll on people, and then again if they lose it.
Don't see a lot of NBA or MLB players blowing their brains out, so there is some holes in that logic. There is a growing wealth of evidence that degenerative brain problems and in some cases, suicides precipitated by those are starting to be linked to traumatic brain injury and the number of concussions. You don't see as much of this in basketball and baseball because the number of collisions, frequency, and severity are much less in those sports than football, boxing, hockey, or even "professional wrestling."
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is LOTS of evidence supporting the multiple concussion and constant head trauma leading to suicide and depression in football players.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

A sad day. Junior was and will always be my favorite player. I had the fortune of meeting him several times over the years and he was always a class act. Thanks for the memories.
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91

Sad...

BTW, the Chargers have never been Super Bowl Champions. They lost in the Super Bowl in the '94 season...
Thank-you fit the correction. Cherrs

Unread 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hope they start making leaps and bounds in the head department. Don't want to see more of my childhood heroes endin themselves all because they got popped in the head 5 too many times. It's a shame. I used to say "well it's just part of the game. They knew the risks before they signed that contract". But I'm total opposite from that now. Something needs to be done.
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Indy

Maybe they could wear helmets.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

How does the current state of injuries compare to a few decades ago? Did we just not hear about it then? Or, maybe the newer equipment allows for harder hits. Or, is diagnosis better now?

There have always been players hobbling around with messed up joints but I don't recall the head injuries or the suicides being talked about.

Unrelated, I guess, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of athletes with handicapped kids. I wonder if there is something going on there, or do the numbers not stand up.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
How does the current state of injuries compare to a few decades ago? Did we just not hear about it then? Or, maybe the newer equipment allows for harder hits. Or, is diagnosis better now?

There have always been players hobbling around with messed up joints but I don't recall the head injuries or the suicides being talked about.

Unrelated, I guess, but there seems to be a disproportionate amount of athletes with handicapped kids. I wonder if there is something going on there, or do the numbers not stand up.
I think the guys are literally bigger, stronger, faster and they feel some (false) sense of security with protective equipment and may be hitting harder than the players from the days of yonder. Plus the NFL season has gotten a little longer since the 60s and 70s, thus more opportunity for sustaining damage.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Guys HAVE gotten bigger, faster, stronger. HOWEVER I think it comes down more to the league and doctor's simply did not know then what they do now in relation to head injuries and concussions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.